Recipes and food ideas

You could thin it some if you want it to be more like syrup - or just schmear

2 Likes

Thanks for the milk ideas everyone! 50% of us LOVED the soup, so I might do another creamy potato/veggie thing. Paneer sounds amazing, but might actually use up too much of the milk! Pudding is a good idea, I have some mix. @diapasoun I may not make it, fair warning, but I’m interested in your recipe.

Cheese sauce is always a good thing. We have all the pastas. Pancakes for dinner could happen too.

@Crow - are you just chugging cups of milk? The only way I could get through 3 gallons in 10 days is if my diet is completely cocoa-based.

4 Likes

I’m not saying mine isn’t. Especially now, when I’m stressed and busy and have no time to make actual food. Nesquik (cold cocoa) is just filling enough to get me through to when I can make a snack or meal.

And no, I don’t chug it. But yes, milk is my go-to beverage. I’ve actually cut back. In college a gallon lasted 2 days or less.

4 Likes

Worth it!

1 Like

I hear you. Cocoa heated in the microwave has been a frequent dessert lately. And cocoa-mochas with extra milk when I need energy. My bigger limiter is my likely lactose intolerance… I gotta draw the line somewhere, for everyone’s sake.

My birthday was just a convenient excuse to make people bring me cocoa.

3 Likes

hopjesvla, which is a Dutch pudding.

3 Likes

I think “1 kilo of walnuts” would be at the “Five gold rings” point of the song.

2 Likes

Sprinkle with sugar and then squeeze lemon over mmmmm

1 Like

Seeking: Whole wheat bread recipe, can be rolls or loaf!
About Me: Mid-entry level baker with yeast and a mixer.

4 Likes

BF’s mom doesn’t officially know I exist for cultural reasons. But yesterday she sent me dinner, a HUGE container of rice, with potatoes, fish, and a homemade condiment. All perfectly cooked and presented.

I am in possession of the container- a pyrex loaf pan. Obviously I will return it full. Please help me fill it using my Rona kitchen supplies.

I’m leaning towards dessert, because my best cooking is curries, and hers are probably mostly better/different, because of regional differences and adaptations to techniques made through the diaspora.

I cool gluten free. I have lots of oats, rice flour, gram flour, eggs, margarine, limited milk, lots of cream and cashew milk. Decent amount of sugar, not enough icing sugar for a fully iced cake. 2 apples, small bag of raisins, half a bag of frozen strawberries, 3 brown bananas

Ideas:
Apple strawberry crumble with a side of custard
Fudgy chocolate cake
Lemon vanilla cake done up like a Victoria sponge, and with a side of custard (or are sides of custard too suck uppy?

Shortbread

Savoury ideas
Veggie lasagna
Mac and cheese
Crustless quiche and mashed potatoes

7 Likes

I love shortbread so I’m partial to that idea.

2 Likes

From my standpoint, shortbread would be thoughtful and not be read as one-upmanship or competition, so I would probably do that.

6 Likes

I have a crapton of canned tuna, and I don’t see HTbF ever eating this unless it’s fancied up a little bit. Has anyone ever made tuna casserole and can share a good recipe? I have literally never made a casserole before of any kind. I guess we could do tuna melts too, we have a lot of cheddar.

2 Likes

@MonkeyJenga I don’t usually use a recipe for tuna casserole, it’s 100% not fussy. I use a loose combo of noodles/pasta, tuna, evaporated milk (regular milk, almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, or even creamy canned soup works too), cheese (any kind grated, totally optioal), celery/carrots/peas (also optional), and then breadcrumbs for the top if I have them (bacos are fun too). Flavor wise I use bouillon and/or dried herbs, good ideas include garlic, onion poweder, oregano, basil, herbs de provence.

If you want a more step-by-step recipe this looks pretty close to what I do, but with fewer veggies and no cheese-- I can help you with substitutions if you need!

You can totally change the ratios too, so you could do 3-4 cans tuna, that’s probably what I’d do, and only cook half the bag of noodles/pasta. If you bulk it out more with veggies too you can further decrease the noodles or do what I do and make two casseroles at the same time (eat both or freeze one).

1 Like

I’ve made something similar to these as well:

1 Like

Woo! Thank you. Turns out he ate tuna casseroles all the time as a kid, so I will probably start with the croquettes to make it seem less boring. But the casserole will happen at some point. Do you fully cook the noodles first or leave them a little underdone? Also, would it be weird to use spaghetti instead of smaller noodz?

3 Likes

Make homemade noodles - it is SO. MUCH. BETTER. I use the Better Homes and Gardens recipe for noodles. Roll out as thin as you can, slice them fairly skinny. Boil before using in the casserole. SO. GOOD.

4 Likes

I have a bag of masa harina.

I love making tortillas, but I’d like to see what else I can make with it besides tortillas and atol (besides, Wizard is probably gonna give me a wtf face when I put a champurrado in front of him).

I’m thinking tiny dumplings (oo, apparently they’re chochoyotes?); I don’t have the corn husks I need for tamales, so those are out. Any other ideas?

2 Likes

@MonkeyJenga Definitely not weird to use spaghetti! I might break them in half or thirds though, just so everything combines well. And I do slightly undercook my noodles for a casserole like this, think like one step before al dente.

4 Likes

We had a giant golden beet (it weighed over a pound!!) in the fridge.

I roasted beet slices with oil and pumpkin pie slice and it turns out that pumpkin spice beet is both the whitest dish and also really freaking tasty.

7 Likes