Random Questions

Banana bread is high on my list. But so is noodle salad except you didn’t write in cups. Do people bring plates? You could do in muffin liners if plates exist.

2 Likes

we’ve only done it once before (2019 was supposed to be the start of an annual tradition, but we got sidetracked), and someone had brought paper plates. slightly bigger cups are a good idea.

1 Like

How do you buy a window for a house? I need 1-2.

are you installing it yourself? is it a standard size?

Home Depot sells windows.
We got the people doing our siding to replace a couple of windows and they bought the supplies and did the work.

1 Like

Good questions I don’t know the answer to! I would like someone else to install it. Do I go to Home Depot with measurements?

2 Likes

That tour of Riverfront architecture looks great. I’m very interested in residential architecture, but I can see doing the Riverfront tour and then finding another tour that includes the Potter mansion and etc.

As for food, no to pizza. Any ethnic restaurant would be good.

1 Like

If you’re up for a long-ish Uber ride or public transport trip: I send everyone to Little India. There is a whole strip of Indian restaurants, groceries, clothing stores with gorgeous saris, etc. along Devon Ave. A large portion of Chicago’s Indian population lives there. You’ll feel like you’re not in America any more and there are no bad restaurants there. I like Arya Bhavan but it’s vegan so YMMV.

1 Like

Can I DIY my dryer vent cleaning? Seems so but I am afraid I’ll disconnect the dryer hose and never get it back on, also I am not sure Boyfriend and I have the strength to move it to get at the hose. (We have stacked washer/dryer, dryer is on top.)

1 Like

Habitat for Humanity ReStores often have windows.

I’d have a pro measure, or at least check online. Last time I looked window measurements were kind of non-obvious.

1 Like

Yes you can!

Depending on the space you might not need to move the machines.
There are a few different ways to attach the vent hose, one of them is tape. Not regular tape, but just as easy to use. None of the methods is hard. If you want to be talked through it I’m not the only one around here who knows how. I’m happy to help and I assume others are as well.

Because I do this job a lot I have a tool for it, like a toilet brush but sized for a dryer vent hose. You can also use a vacuum, a rag on a grabber thing… There are a lot of ways to do it.

1 Like

Disconnecting and reconnecting the dryer hose isn’t that bad. Just run it once before you push everything back to the wall so if it is still loose you don’t have to pull everything out again to fix it.

Whether you can get the dryer down I have no experience with. Can you pull the stack out from the wall as one piece and just work behind the dryer still stacked?

If I had never done windows before I would call a window company and have them handle the whole thing. Like Gdogg says, measurements are tricky. Otherwise you find a handy person and order the windows and they do the installation.

1 Like

While you’re doing this, get an appliance tray for under the machines to catch potential leak water and make moving them easier in future.

4 Likes

I have always used hose clamps to attach the vent line. If you can use a screwdriver, you are all set.

1 Like

Hose clamps are definitely the best. I use them and tape because that’s how I roll.

3 Likes

Or zip ties

1 Like

Ooh, thank you for all of the recommendations! :heart:

1 Like

There are Home Depot services that would measure and install, or there are local windows/doors people who would do it for slightly cheaper

1 Like

I was thinking of getting one of the brush-y things. We do have a vacuum with a skinny attachment but I’m thinking, if stuff’s stuck on the sides a brush would be better?

1 Like

Dryer lint isn’t typically sticky, I’ve never had a problem getting it out.

Go for the easy thing you already own.

1 Like