Random Questions

How well does bread freeze? I’ve got a loaf of potato bread that’s got a best by date of Friday and it will not get eaten by then.

5 Likes

Well! But make sure it’s pre-sliced and well wrapped.

4 Likes

Very well!

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s already pre-sliced. It’s a store-bought loaf. Should I wrap it in something else like aluminum foil? And when I thaw it, do I have to turn it upside down? I’ve heard people say they do that so the moisture gets re-distributed evenly as it thaws.

1 Like

I think the store plastic bag is usually enough. And I’ve never worried about if it was upside down.

The nice thing about it being pre-sliced is you can just grab a few slices and toast them directly.

4 Likes

Salami, cheese, fruit, crackers. Winner.

2 Likes

When I buy bread I put it directly in the freezer in its package. When I thaw it, I only take out the number of slices that I need and thaw them 15-30 minutes before toasting/grilling or eating them

4 Likes

In my experience frozen bread is best if you toast it after (directly from frozen), or done as a grilled cheese type thing. I’d only defrost the specific slices you are going to eat immediately, so I’m not sure how to do that ‘upside down’.

4 Likes

That makes more sense to me anyways.

2 Likes

We freeze all of our bread here and we rarely toast it (we often have bread that is sliced too thickly for the toaster). We typically pop the slices we plan to eat immediately into the microwave. They thaw in 30 seconds or less.

2 Likes

Window cleaning. Like the outside parts. How expensive is that? We’re on the raised 1st floor, so we’d need a big ladder to do it ourselves, and also the windows are super old and I’m afraid of damaging screens and storm windows trying to get them back on. Trying to figure out if this is something my cheapass landlord would agree to pay for. We’ve lived here since 2020 and it’s not been done in at least that long, probably longer if I asked a friend who lived here before us. They’re getting grimy and it would help to get some more light in here in the winter months

2 Likes

does your landlord get the eaves cleaned? our eaves people will add on cleaning the outer windows for a discount if they are booked together. <100 iirc

1 Like

Hahahahaha no idea. Going to guess no :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use Opcon A. It’s technically for allergies but I use it whenever I need eye drops.

2 Likes

you could ask them if they’d throw it in for this fall’s eaves cleaning? if they say they aren’t doing eaves, ask if they’d cover it if you organized it?

2 Likes

Kid wants to know if he puts helium in his suitcase if he can cheat on the luggage weight limit.

9 Likes

Instead you can ask kid if he wants the plane to be overweight and therefore in danger of crashing due to load imbalance. Planes load bags based on weight and do calculations off it.
I know.
I am a buzz kill.

3 Likes

I feel like this really would depend on the length of the flight. :thinking: If it’s a short flight, the helium might last the whole time, in which case the bag would actually BE lighter the entire time. If international, or if the flight is delayed….then problems.

**This opinion is brought to you by no knowledge of science or physics whatsoever.

3 Likes

Is it a totally dumbass idea to get the COVID booster, flu shot, AND RSV vaccine all together? Would I just be taking myself out of commission for two days?

Historically I’ve had mild (lethargy and tiredness only) reactions to the COVID shot, but I’ve never combined it with anything else. Flu shot has always been fine and RSV is a totally new one for one. Also, gregant so :person_shrugging:

5 Likes

Pressure would potentially play a role here, and temperature?

3 Likes