Random Questions

I’d keep the money unless the upgrade has like, a jacuzzi hot tub.

4 Likes

How much time do you expect to spend in the hotel? If you expect to be out all day, I’d spend the money on something fun.

2 Likes

A.

1 Like

So my default approach is A (no upgrade, save the cash), the shadowy one’s default is B (upgrade at no additional cost).

We ended up midway between the two preferences, slightly closer A.

8 Likes

Ugh ugh ugh. I have the smoke alarms that are the 10 year no battery kind. One beeped 2 beeps one time last week then nothing since. This morning it really beeped, thank goodness at 10am not 3am! So, I take it down and am reading the back and out crawls an earwig. Fuck my life. :nauseated_face:

Anyway… my actual question is: could that have been setting it off? It has not beeped since. The sticker says they are 8 years old, so not “officially” ready for replacement but I certainly can get new ones. I would have to have someone come install them which is the more annoying part.

12 Likes

Yes the earwig could absolutely have triggered it. Vaccum the unit in case he has friends hiding in there.

9 Likes

We had something similar happen with spiders in the smoke alarm. Vacuuming it out worked!

4 Likes

You don’t need a new one, you just need a new house since you obviously need to burn this one down! /s

But yes earwig totally could have done it. Give it a good vacuum and you should be good to go.

9 Likes

Absolutely true! I have had so many earwigs this year, and way more inside the house than ever before. :nauseated_face: I did buy Diatomaceous Earth for outside which helped immensely so I am thrilled with that.

5 Likes

I’m glad to know that worked! It didn’t beep again and I’ve put it back up.

4 Likes

What’s for dinner?

We’re having ravioli (the food, not the baby)

13 Likes

Tofu banh mi!

3 Likes

tamarind pork tacos with cabbage avocado cilantro slaw

3 Likes

Steak on the grill over salad

3 Likes

Peach caprese salad (palisade peach season baby) and chicken nuggets

7 Likes

My steam mop has decided to stop making steam. It makes noises like it will make steam, but then no steam comes out. I don’t know if there is a fix. Anyone?

Assuming it’s just dead, what should I replace it with? Was it @galliver who had recently gotten a cleaner she loves? I don’t want to spend a million dollars but I also don’t particularly want to go back to a bucket and a mop system. I’d love something that is quick and easy and efficient, no bucket. Does that exist? I have a combination of hardwood floors and linoleum or vinyl, I have no idea what’s the difference or how to tell. It’s a rental, I don’t know. I have a corded vacuum, a cordless vac that doesn’t work terribly well, brooms and a regular mop that I don’t particularly want to use. I used to have a housekeeper so I didn’t think about these things much so I’m not sure what’s new in the world of cleaning machines. But that’s another thing I lost in the divorce so now I have to catch up on cleaning technology and clean my own damn house.

5 Likes

I use a swifter mop for quick clean ups. May not be the most economical option, but it’s fast and easy.

Try googling the problem you are seeing - there may be an easy fix.

3 Likes

If you run vinegar through the steam mop it will clear mineral build up. It stinks like hot pickles so do it outside.

12 Likes

I have been advertising my floor cleaning machine! It’s a Bissell Crosswave wet vac and it’s not cheap ($200-300 range). But I do love what it does!

3 Likes

I feel bad saying this because you obviously like steam mops and I don’t want to be a downer. I’ve read that steam mops are bad news for certain varieties of floor types, causing damage over time. Just want to flag this since you are a renter and not positive about what types of floors you have.

5 Likes