Random Questions

What about Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library?

They send standard children’s books. Wonderful, but wouldn’t help with print size at all.

2 Likes

Found some links @Oro

1 Like

Agreed with @Economista that a check-in with a local realtor would be the way to go…what I’ve heard anecdotally is that relatively small changes (fresh coat of paint, yard cleanup, swap out cabinet hardware, at most new carpet/flooring if the old is really worn) are worth it, but big changes like kitchen remodels generally aren’t. But I’m guessing it’s really market and probably house dependent.

6 Likes

Seconding the iPad for accessibility eventually if not right now. My students who are blind swear by them (including the one who’s gone on to be a teacher).

5 Likes

Thank you all!!! I will go through these replies and pull together some ideas. :nerd_face::sparkling_heart::pray::people_hugging:

3 Likes

Talk to your lighthouse too! They often have a lending library and know about resources for large print stuff

2 Likes

I’m confused!

1 Like

I assume lighthouse for the blind org?

2 Likes

tbh I also got a mental image of talking to a lighthouse. good chuckle

3 Likes

Everyone has made great suggestions so I will just add a couple. Some larger public libraries do have children’s large print collections. Other things to consider are children’s audiobooks (these are mostly virtual now but the public library probably has an app of some kind) and readalong books- virtual or physical.

On Libby some of the “beginning reader” type books have a function where it will read the book to you. And your library may have Wonderbooks/Vox books/etc., which have built in audio players. They have picture books, beginning readers and chapter books.

2 Likes

An iPad or other tablet will have lots of options and might be more multi purpose for accessibility and reading options but for audio only we have a yoto player and really like it. It has one large image per song/story and two easy to use buttons. My kid likes their daily podcast and now knows many Beatles songs thanks to my dad loading up one of her cards with the Beatles.

1 Like

Second this, we ADORE our Yotos. I record us reading library books too and put them on a make your own card, infinite story time lol.

3 Likes

I need a chair for the living room. My Mom bought my Dad one, it’s covered in now crumbling leather. If I got it recovered, it would likely cost about $1K. Know it’s quality, been in the house my entire life, 60+ years, but don’t know if it’s worth spending that much on something I probably will only use for another 10 years?

Dunno. That’s one of those decision blocks I just can’t figure?

$$$$ vs
time it will be useful vs
buying something new that won’t last vs
eco-friendly…

How would you decide? TIA!

I went to go find pics, everything I found, at Wayfair, Pottery Barn, and Pier 1 was > $1,000 for anything comparable…

6 Likes

I’d expect a comfortable quality 10 years of daily use to be over 1k. You may find a used one with upholstery or you can recover.

7 Likes

I would agree with this. Our new lazy boy was about $800 I think? But I do not think it is nearly as good as the old one it replaced. It might have 10 years but it might not. Maybe I just think that because the cat scratches it more than the other one.

4 Likes

I’d look for a used one first, maybe you’ll come across a really great option!

3 Likes

I’d recover it or donate to someone who would

1k for a decent piece of furniture is a great deal, and if it has lasted 60 years, it will probably last more than 10 more

Please note my bias, our kitchen renovation will be partially planned around finding a home for the kitchen table my grandmother’s sister painted when she was a teenager.

6 Likes

Any chance someone has an all inclusive in puerto Vallarta they have stayed at and liked? Researching all this is so overwhelming lol.

4 Likes

Ignore all the horror in this photo and look only at the hair texture.

When it is very humid, if I do nothing to my hair, it does this. (It is freshly washed also and air dried, but not quite all the way dry yet. Also it is very long now.) Do I actually have curly hair? When I put it up and it is humid, sometimes shorter tendrils escape and I get actual ringlets (I wish I had a picture).

My mother has very straight hair but my father’s hair is so curly that he had a full-on afro in the 70s because it was pretty long (like, groovy bay-bee).

If so, what can I do to encourage this? I never have before (except to do rollers for period hairstyles), I fell into the trap of wanting something I didn’t, and possibly couldn’t, easily have (straight hair). I don’t currently use product except a purple shampoo/conditioner to help combat any yellow in all the greys, and sometimes (like once a week maybe?) I straighten with an iron and then I use heat protectant spray.

Also, I’ll share this hilariousness:

It is easier to tell when it is straightened, but the top layer of my hair is almost entirely grey and the bottom layer (which I pulled from underneath, awkwardly) is almost entirely still brown. :crazy_face:

Honestly, I wish I had more of a Rogue thing going.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes