Random Questions

We had three different people come and give us quotes. They were VERY different ($20k, $30k, and $40k), so we had to go back and figure out why, and that took a while. I don’t have any specific resources to give you, unfortunately.

The most expensive company used Mitsubishi. They’re well-reviewed, and they’ve been around for a long time to prove their reliability. We ended up going with them, but they changed the configuration of the install to remove one mini-split and to reduce the amount of piping required, and that brought the cost down almost $10k.

I think with existing ducting, your installation would be much more straightforward and less expensive, thankfully. @BiblioFeroz was also looking into getting a heat pump, I believe? Maybe she’s got more specific information.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

We went all electric and had the gas furnace entirely removed. If you want to keep gas for backup heat, there are more options. There seems to be really only one game in town for all electric without the gas backup.

I think it was like 20K? It was a lot. If you’re interested I definitely have records on it. But we are supposed to get a fair amount of that back as tax rebates.

That was for Mitsubishi hyper heat. Really the gold standard for a cold weather. All electric heat pump.

4 Likes

Thanks! Yeah I think the thing that’s the bummer is that since we need two systems, everything is 2x for us. Do you remember how you looked into your different options and made a decision?

2 Likes

Ours was also the Mitsubishi hyper heat! I’m glad you can confirm they’re a good brand to go with.

Why do you need two systems? (I’m sure there’s a good reason, I just don’t remember you saying why, and I’m nosey.)

1 Like

It’s how our house is set up! House was built in the 60s and they added a serious extension in the early 2000s that needed its own system. There is something about bedrock or something (I’m hazy on the details now) that makes connecting them infeasible. It didn’t seem like a big deal when I thought it would be $2k per side to add AC :clown_face:

4 Likes

Hmm. Maybe you could add mini-splits to one side, and connect those to a single heat pump unit, since they can use piping along the ground or the side of the house? That might be ridiculous. All of the estimates I can find just have a list of components, not the PRICES for each component, so I don’t remember how much the actual heat pump cost vs the mini-splits and piping :frowning: Not very helpful for you, sorry.

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s one of our variables, we’ve been getting mini split quotes too. One company gave us a $20k mini split quote and the other one wouldn’t get back to me about it.

3 Likes

Whew! Everything is expensive :sob:

Good luck figuring it out! I hope you get to make a decision you’re confident in that also doesn’t cost a million dollars :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My sister is bringing an icebox/zebra cake (chocolate cookies stacked with whipped cream which rehydrate and become sliceable) for Father’s day gathering tomorrow.

I am responsible for the secondary dessert. All i can think of atm is lemon squares.

Ideas?

6 Likes

If she’s doing chocolate and whipped cream, I would definitely go opposite, so something fruit forward. Maybe a fruity cheesecake or poundcake? Or a pie? Key lime is nice, or even something spiced like an apple or pear?

ETA: I’m also really partial to a blueberry buckle

5 Likes

hmm, rhubarb crisp? (blueberries are for my mom’s bday dessert in a month)

4 Likes

mmmm yes.

I also have a great recipe for rhubarb squares, I can send to you if you like later this evening.

Crispy sweet crust and sliceable. We love em. (I may need to bake tonight)

3 Likes

I’d appreciate that

2 Likes

I have found adults go crazy for rice crispie treats, or scotcharoos. All gluten free, and easy.

3 Likes

What is she using for the cookies!?

2 Likes

she is baking from scratch because the cookies were discontinued, and oreo wafers are wrong texture.

5 Likes

I was wondering!! I had heard the cookies were discontinued

4 Likes

this has been my dad’s celebration cake for ~80 years, so we’re not switching it up merely because some company isn’t going to supply the cookies any more.

9 Likes

BUT WHAT IS SHE USING? I love zebra cake and I don’t know how to make it now :sob:

2 Likes