Random Questions

I would say trains will do you just fine if you’re primarily wanting to be in different cities, but rural public transport is generally trickier, so you might want to hire a car if you want to do lots of coutryside, walking etc.

2 Likes

It’s all still very nebulous. I imagine that it isn’t hard to find things to fill your time. Somehow a month to 6 weeks seems like a fair amount of time. It could end up shorter too - like 2 to 2.5 days.

Museums, some history, some natural wonders. I will not hike with Spouse (there was a very hurtful event so I just will NOT out myself in the position again), he is free to hike. One thought was he could do one of those walking tours - I don’t have to go with him, or a walking tour would have others I could walk with.

In italy and Greece, the historic architecture are one big interest. We may not have any rental car, so that may limit some options.

1 Like

This is my preferred mode - especially now that I am older.

1 Like

I think Scotland, Ireland, England, France, Italy and Greece would be way more locations than ideal unless you are going for a couple of months. I would focus on either the western or central areas but not try to do both. I can get the appeal though because traveling to Europe makes me want to try to see all the things and places!

Of those, I’ve been to France and Italy and you could easily spend a month in each country alone :slight_smile: If it’s for this summer, be aware that Paris will be a zoo with the olympics. Italy gets HOT in the summer. We were on Lake Garda in northern Italy if that area intrigues you at all. It is beautiful and mountainous and a bit less touristy than other areas (I don’t think we saw any other Americans while there, but plenty of European tourists). The food in France and Italy is amazing!

3 Likes

Thanks. Things always seem more plausible in theory. In practice it gets real very fast.

I suspect Paris is always somewhat of a nightmare of crowds, the Olympics move that to hell with onions on it.

1 Like

I can try to answer any questions related to Scotland. I think a rental car is the best idea if you want to see the more beautiful parts of the country but there are some reasonable small bus tour options such as Rabbies

I’ve got lots of recommendations for beaches, castles, walks etc when you get to that stage of planning, but I have to mention that I think the Isle of Skye is seriously overrated!

If you are planning to travel mainly by train ‘the man in seat 61’ can answer most of your questions relating to UK and Europe.

4 Likes

Thanks - good resources to check out.

I find driving (being driven, so far I have shirked being an adult and taking part in actual driving) around Ireland to be way more exhausting than driving in America. The cars and roads are smaller, and even though nothing in the country is more than 4-6 hours away, it still manages to take all day and I need a nap afterwards.

So I would recommend seeing if your itinerary can be done by transit. Or, at the very least, allot one day for transit between cities and if I’m wrong you can be pleasantly surprised!

But also the giants causeway is amaaaaazing and if you’re going to Ireland for a while and have a car I’d recommend it.

And remember now with Brexit, Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK need a different SIM card than EU countries. We got to NI last year only to discover than only one person had cell phone service.

3 Likes

I have questions about Scotland! I have a few days between when my walking tour ends in St Andrew’s and when we need to be back at the Edinburgh airport. Should we stay in the St Andrew’s area, go further north, or go back to Edinburgh? It will be the beginning of June.

I’m tempted to go to Perth just to say we did but is it a nice place to visit or just a town a city in Australia is named after?

ETA: I would also take suggestions for Edinburgh.

1 Like

Oh, great point!

2 Likes

Anecdotal evidence:
Some of the smaller roads in Ireland are in theory passable by two cars going opposite directions. I was lucky to be there with a native driving us around, there was one time a tourist was coming the other way, there were stone walls on either side of us so neither car wanted to get scratched up, and the Irish driver was able to squeak through. Every single other person thought it couldn’t be done, the Irish driver was just annoyed the other tourist hadn’t left him 0.93482cm more space. :joy: He also didn’t have to devote as much mental space to translating unfamiliar road signs.

4 Likes

One of my plans for the next time I’m in Paris is to actually stay a couple of days in Versailles. The town is cute and walking/biking the gardens deserves more than the day trip it usually gets.

I like staying near the Opera metro station. Tons of restaurants and shopping (galleries Lafayette? Yes please!) near, easy transit to further places, quick pretty walk to the Louvre and d’orsay. Good for first time visit.

Give yourself more time in each place than you think. You want to be able to have lazy lie ins and visit out of the way markets and shops and music performances and not feel like you were rushing through with a checklist. With a month to 6weeks, I would plan a solid week in each major city (London, Paris, Rome, Athens) and then 3 or 4 days of seeing outlying areas (Rhine River Valley, York, Tuscany, Greek isles). Doing the one night in each place thing is exhausting, especially if you’re the one doing the driving. Bus tours can be good for more of an overview thing so you can rest between stops.

My family has owned a travel agency for 50 years and used to plan and lead private tours, especially through Europe. Let me know if you want me to dig in further!

6 Likes

My uncle has taken me in a van down those streets and Irish people don’t necessarily slow down when you’re trying to squeeze two modern size cars between 14th century walls

They did build a highway system in the last 20 years which makes it easier but still somehow exhausting to make it cross the country. Pretty sure there’s no rest stops though? But I haven’t driven further than Dublin-Meath since 2018.

2 Likes

When are you going? I’m halfway through planning a 3 week trip for Greece this summer and happy to share out when done. I will also be renting a car.

2 Likes

I could make a good case for any of those options!

St Andrews is a beautiful town and definitely deserves at least a day to see the castle and cathedral and walk on the two mile long West Sands. You will probably have timed it perfectly as I think the university term should just have ended.

You could then take the short journey by bus to Dundee which is a very underrated city. Years ago it got a bad reputation as a run down industrial port but a multimillion pound restoration project that has included the building of the first V&A design museum outside of London has made it a great little city with plenty of hotel/bar/restaurant options. It also has a good railway service that would let you explore places like Perth with it’s lovely river walk and Arbroath which is famous for it’s Abbey and smoked fish! Both about 20 minutes away by train. You would also have a direct train back to Edinburgh.

I wouldn’t advise trying to go much further north unless you’re willing to hire a car (and probably go back to Edinburgh to pick it up). This is the route I usually suggest to people who want a taste of more wild and beautiful side of Scotland - all the roads are wide and have white lines down the middle! An overnight in Inverness and one around Glencoe would make it very easy driving of about 3 hrs a day.

Finally Edinburgh - always a great option, especially in early June. I would suggest finding @Oro 's journal as they had a week in Edinburgh in January and did all the best bits. My usual advice for Edinburgh is lots of walking and just enjoying the architecture and the atmosphere, with lunch time picnics in Princes Street gardens, weather permitting of course!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for this!

What don’t you know about! Thanks for the tips. One attraction of Paris is the Louvre - but I doubt there are any times that are not overly crowded.

Probably fall or spring - definitely not winter or summer.

Haha, if you asked about anywhere other than Western Europe, I’d be useless! Between my art history degree and getting to take a lot of trips from an early age due to the travel agency, I’m very familiar with France, Italy, Spain, and the UK. But I can always ask my aunt and mom who still run the agency! In fact they’re doing a tour of Germany and

Honestly, the main hits at the Louvre are always crowded, but just steps away are other incredible treasures completely ignored. Like the Mona Lisa is a mad house, but the long gallery just outside that room has the Madonna of the Rocks or hell, even in the room, the Marriage Feast at Cana on the opposite wall is usually fairly open.

The galleries are wide and the ceilings are so tall so you don’t feel crowded, even when it’s fairly full.

Not sure if you or anyone in your party is disabled, but you can get in free to most museums and attractions with a disabled parking pass. Good for the disabled person and 1 companion.

6 Likes

Cool. I assume you would be expert in Brazil. I went to Brazil for an MBA international trip. We had a hired tour guide / babysitter.