Random Questions

Zenni makes good, polarized clip on ones that exactly fit any of their glasses, so I have some of those in the car. They don’t look like clip-ons since they so closely match the glasses, and I can put them on and off one-handed so I’m not blind if I drive into the woods with sunglasses on.

@Smacky 's idea of the magnet ones would be even better, but these are pretty good.

2 Likes

Polarization is key, I will never go back! Also getting them professionally adjusted for your face by an optometrist can make a huge difference in comfort.

I had some like that years ago and I did really like them! I switched to transitions when I became a mom and having an extra thing to carry was just a non-starter.

Regular transitions do not darken behind the windshield of a car, you have to get the special outdoor transitions if you want them to be darker while you were driving.

2 Likes

I have two pairs of prescription sunglasses from Zenni (not clip ons, just stand alone). I keep one in the car and one for yard work and vacations. They are so affordable from there, which is good because I am hard on sunglasses.

2 Likes

Ty for the people who recommended the Pullman pan. It’s making excellent bread. And way easier to slice to an even thickness than the boules. We’ve done like 5 or 6 loaves now and are quite happy.

11 Likes

Doe anyone have experience with green algae on outdoor furniture cushions and how to clean it? It is my own fault but I left the cushions out last year and they are truly filthy now, with algae at all the seams. I tried soaking in a (regular) oxiclean bath, which did turn the water gross but didn’t do much on the embedded stains. I also tried putting Dawn Powerwash on it and scrubbing with a nylon brush, which sort of worked, but there is still some green, and it killed my hand (I had to scrub a LOT) and I have three big cushions to deal with so it would take a LONG time.

There are tons of DIY solutions (some of which don’t sound very believable at all), and also some commercial products, but I don’t want to buy a bunch of stuff that might not work. Does anyone have any recommendations based on direct experience?

Oh also, the cushions are also white and dark green stripe, I can’t just bleach them. And they are in otherwise very good shape, I don’t want to get rid of them just because of this.

2 Likes

What are your thoughts on getting one of those brush attachments for a drill to scrub?

I wonder if the stuff you use to treat algae in pools would be ok for the fabric?

2 Likes

I’ve thought about getting those drill brushes for other things, so that’s a good thought. I need a new drill as well though (mine has an integrated battery (non replaceable) that no longer holds a charge), so I’d have to wait until I got that, which will probably be not until during the Memorial Day sales.

I thought about algae products for pools. Though, if your chemicals are balanced correctly, you won’t ever get algae (I haven’t yet in the hot tub). Supposedly there are products specifically for this problem on cushions (or outdoor furniture, at least), but you know how it goes. I’d like to hear at least one real person’s experience before spending the cash.

1 Like

We have power washed them successfully. YMMV. Ours were very cheap.

:speaking_head:Fashionable people! :speaking_head:
I got this vest at the thrift shop and intend to wear it solo as a tank top/vest this summer. The fabric covered buttons make it look like a catering or church vest to me.

Seeking opinions:
Which buttons should I replace them with (plz note some sets have one button that doesn’t match)?

7 Likes

In my opinion, none of them don’t go. So it’s a matter of what you like!

2 Likes

C or D would be my first choices, but agree they’d all work. See which ones fit the existing buttonholes the best.

2 Likes

I agree with C or D; they seem like they would bring it farthest away from “catering or church.”

3 Likes

I love the texture in C

2 Likes

D! Love the pop of color

2 Likes

I like D too

1 Like

I like B because I think they are the most interesting looking. But I agree, they would all work.

1 Like

We are thinking about a trip to Scotland, Ireland, England, and maybe Chunnel to France. I would love any good tips and websites on places to see, stay, eat, train systems, tour groups. I am kind of feeling like doing a longer more extensive trip once we get there - like seeing Greece and Italy. Maybe that is crazy.

4 Likes

How long are you spending in Europe?

What kind of environment do you want to explore? (Big cities and their museums? Hiking the moors? etc)

2 Likes

Not place specific, but when we did a trip to Ireland a few years ago we did two sleeps in each place. Some places we were less interested in were like “arrive, sleep, wake up and spend the day there, sleep, go to next place” and places we were more interested in were “spend the day, sleep, spend the day, sleep, spend part of the day then move on to next place”. All the transit between different cities was generally driving 3-4 hours at most.

2 Likes