Random Questions

I am mid cost of living and I’d say $1,000-$1,500 for both trees would be “reasonable” in my area, but I’d definitely be getting multiple quotes.
You may be able to ask them to line item and perhaps skip clean up or chipper services if you’re willing/able to haul the mess yourself to a dump or burn it.

4 Likes

Yeah, we paid ~$4k in 2014 for 5 very tall trees to undergo extensive trimming/shaping/etc, so 10 years later with plenty of inflation, 2 trees for $2k isn’t too crazy to me.

4 Likes

I’m going to send you a copy of the invoice from when I had my trees trimmed in 2022

2 Likes

This is from work we had done in 2020. The cherry-type trees referred to in item 3 were weed trees (not actual cherry trees) and were still at the sapling stage rather than being proper big trees.

1 Like

Are they very tall? If it’s a dangerous or difficult job it will probably be more expensive.

30 probably means 30 feet tall??

3 Likes

I am planting tall-ish flowers near my air conditioner. Is 18" clearance on the sides enough for air to flow to it? The front and back sides will be open.

3 Likes

I can’t imagine that it would be a problem! You could always call an HVAC company and ask if you’re worried.

1 Like

Thinking about getting prescription sunglasses this year. Does anybody wear them? Do you feel like they actually keep you from being blinded by bright light while you drive? My eyes are getting a little sensitive to bright light and I’m so tired of squinting when I drive. I have some $75 sunglasses that aren’t prescription and they really don’t do much to lessen the brightness. I really like the ray-ban ones I was looking at but at $200+ I’d like to know if they’re gonna be worth it before I buy.

Or should I just buy regular glasses with transition lenses?

6 Likes

I had Roka prescription sunglasses until I had eye surgery and they were AMAZING. I had never been a sunglasses person before (see: wearing glasses since kindergarten), but I quickly realized why people wear them all the time. They helped me a ton.

Not sponsored I swear, just really enthusiastic about sunglasses now haha

ETA: I’ve also had transition lenses at multiple times in my life. They are definitely better than nothing, but actual sunglasses get darker, so they’ll be more effective.

3 Likes

I’ve had prescription sunglasses for a long time and love them. I need to get new lenses for them. I don’t think transitions lenses get as dark? Plus when I had transitions many years ago they also never got completely clear either when inside. I did not like them.

3 Likes

I have prescription sunglasses because I have a high prescription. You want polarized lenses and a dark tint for the best results. They are more $ but absolutely worth it, in my opinion. The current pair I have is Liz Claiborne (the place I go didn’t have a huge selection) but my previous ones were Marchon and I loved them. It really is the lenses that are important though. Also, I don’t replace them nearly as often as my regular glasses (which I have to replace every year or so because of changing prescription), for me they last like 4 or 5 years, since my distance vision doesn’t change much anymore. My current pair are progressives since my regular pair are progressives now too.

I had transitions decades ago and didn’t like them (though maybe they are better now).

2 Likes

I got prescription sunglasses a few years ago, and I am inconsistent about wearing them because I dislike carrying the other pair, and I like to swap out when I go back inside. If I was a driver, I would keep them in the car, that would be convenient.

The sunglasses are also great for bird watching.

Driving is pretty much what I want them for so I could just keep them in the car.

2 Likes

I also have prescription sunglasses, and I love them. Like Panda, I have had glasses since I was 5 or 6, and I never got to wear sunglasses as a kid unless they were the magnetic kind. Having polarized, prescription sunglasses is so much better.

I haven’t had transition glasses in like 25 years, because I didn’t like them when I had them. They didn’t change as quickly as I wanted, never seemed completely clear, and they didn’t get as dark as normal sunglasses. HOWEVER, my dad has gotten transitions for multiple sets of glasses and he seems to really like them. I think they have gotten the “clear” state right now, so that makes a big difference. It would be nice to not have to carry a second set of glasses everywhere, but I’m not willing to risk trying them :slight_smile:

Also, my sister has those Pair glasses with the magnetic fronts, and she likes those. You can get sunglasses fronts in addition to the fun patterns, if that’s your jam.

4 Likes

I have transitions and like them. (My prescription is very strong and I was never willing to spend another $400 on sunglasses.)

There are different levels of transitions and I have the super duper version - they will get dark in the car and they are very dark. However, I’ve end up only wearing them for outside stuff because they don’t get quite light enough inside.

1 Like

I keep mine in the car and just get them out if I’m doing yard work.

1 Like

I would never go without my prescription sunglasses (especially in our sunny driving climate). It didn’t occur to me that people who wore glasses wouldn’t also have prescription sunglasses! I carey both and swap them out but typically only have to carry one case because one set of glasses is always on me and the other set is in the case. If I’m at the computer or something then the glasses are just there on the desk for when I stand up to walk.

2 Likes

I just splurged on prescription sunglasses last Fall and they are amazing. I live in a super sunny climate and was just driving without them for years which honestly I didn’t realize was so terrible until I had the sunglasses and it stopped being terrible. I would wear regular sunglasses with contacts sometimes, but it’s so much more convenient to have the prescription ones! I ended up going with Maui Jim glasses and even though they were SO much more than I wanted to spend, I don’t regret it at all. The lenses are amazing, the frames fit better than any pair of glasses I’ve ever had and they have a lifetime warranty, even from scratched lenses. I wear them any chance I get!

4 Likes

My plan is to get glasses with the sunglasses that attach to them with magnets. Best of both worlds, I hope.

6 Likes

I have transistions now and I love them. They are definitely not as effective / dark as real sunglasses. I’m terrible about actually remembering to change glasses or bring the other pair with me so the transitions are good for me because otherwise I just wouldn’t wear sunglasses. They adjust pretty quickly and I have no complaints so far (2 yrs in).

3 Likes