Random Questions

Yeah when I was down to one bra in the pandemic it was… not a frequent wash cycle.

5 Likes

Ours are mostly hand knit. We have a lot of them.

4 Likes

Ahhh that makes sense then!

2 Likes

I ordered something from AliExpress for the second time. If the tracking link says it was delivered but I can’t find it, is it any more or less likely to actually have been delivered than a US domestic package?

3 Likes

Yes, I remember that Dear Prudence bra washing controversy. I remember being livid that there were some non-bra buying people arguing that it is disgusting not to wash a bra after every wear. As if it is their business if they don’t wear bras themselves.

I was definitely on Prudence’s side for this one.

5 Likes

If I remember from back when I used to order from AliExpress, it means that it has been handed off to a US distribution company to make the delivery.

2 Likes

No comment.

1 Like

I think it depends on what you do in them. But if you at least rinse or soak once a week it seems fine.

1 Like

I’m 10 seconds away from ordering custom 3-rod hairpin table legs, because I can’t find anything the right height I want, and I don’t think I can reasonably cut down the existing legs evenly enough to make it work. (I suppose I can just try, but I don’t know how I would keep the non-square legs, level while cutting on the miter saw.)

I’ve been using this too-tall table for THREE YEARS and it needs to stop. It is incredibly uncomfortable for me to use. I am average height (5’6") but very short waisted, so when I sit, the table top is too tall for me. It’s a homemade table (that I inherited) that is 32" from floor to top of table, which is WAY WAY WAY too tall, even with fat cushions on the chairs. I think I want the table surface at 26", because my sit-stand desk at it’s lowest setting (28") is still too tall with the dining room chairs that I have.

Can any short or short-waisted people please measure the distance from floor-to-table top and report back what you have, and if it works for you (or if it’s too tall or too short still)? It would very much help reassure me I am not making a mistake. (The legs are like $100 for a set of 4.)

5 Likes

Is this a table top for eating or working at a laptop or…? I am definitely more picky about laptop heights than dining table heights.

For laptop work my ideal desk height is like…24.5-25". I’m 5’2" and somewhat shortwaisted. I think our dining table is probably 26" and it’s just a hair too tall for me…I can check later.

4 Likes

It’s my dining table, so dining first, but I’d love to be able to use if for crafting or other things too (drawing, painting), because it’s actually a nice big butcher block surface. But as it is, it’s just a repository for stuff, because I can’t do anything comfortably on it. :sob: I work at my desk (big monitors) and my desk chair is a little bit higher, and when I do laptop stuff I just do it on my lap :joy: so that’s not at play.

I’m like 4" taller than you but probably only like an inch or so when sitting, so that’s good info for me!

2 Likes

How should you cook uncooked rice in a casserole so that it’s actually cooked and not crunchy? The rice I put in with the cubed steak was still crunchy af.

3 Likes

I am 5’2" with an average torso for my height, and a 28 inch table (floor to top) feels perfect for me. 30 is acceptable but when I sit at a 28 (my old dining table) it’s like, oh, I didn’t know tables could feel this good!

I would probably prefer an even shorter desk but I’ll never know bc I sit with my legs crossed at my desk so height doesn’t even matter.

3 Likes

Are the legs round? A plumbing -style pipe cutter is under 20 bucks, and you could cut off an inch at a time and try it for a while until you find the height you like.

1 Like

They are turned wood. :frowning:

1 Like

Hmmm. Might work on them. If you’re just going to throw them out anyway.

1 Like

what kind of rice was it? did you pre-soak? how much liquid was in the casserole?

3 Likes

Brown rice. No I did not pre-soak and there was a gravy made of two cans of cream of mushroom some onion mushroom soup mix and a cup of water. And now I’m realizing how dumb it was to expect it to be cooked after 50 minutes in the oven. I’ve only ever made rice that was the Uncle Ben’s in the orange pack that takes 90 seconds but dammit I know people usually cook rice in a bunch of water so why did I think that would work? I’m feeling dumb right now.

4 Likes

brown rice is the most fiddly, so please don’t beat yourself up. Internet suggests a 2:1 ratio of liquid to rice, and 60 minutes bake time + 5-10 minutes steaming (350, 375 and 400 F were in different recipes, so there is some flexibility).
you’ll want a lid to keep the liquid in and the rice on top to end up still cooking right.

5 Likes

So the only thing I technically did right was to cover it in foil. Lovely.

4 Likes