Random Questions

Jumping on here to ask about some sort of heartrate/ pulse ox/BP monitor? Did I dream that up?
I’m firmly in Android land and would rather something not too big.

1 Like

Spouse got one from Amazon in the COVID times that clamps onto your finger - it’s about 1.5 inches X 0.75 inches X 0.75 inches.

1 Like

I’ve got one of those, was hoping for something I can wear constantly that would keep track of my ups and downs.

Apple watch will do both, but not continuously or both at the same time. But if you are willing to write down data, the finger clamp works🤷‍♀️

Good luck finding what you need. A medical supply store might be able to tell you if what you are looking for exists for home use.

2 Likes

There is one called Whoop, it’s a wearable band. I think there is a monthly subscription required though, but I know it tracks a ton of health data

I think some of the newer Garmins have BP/pulse ox monitor, I’m not sure which models. I have an older one but it does HR/BP and stress score which is like HR variability, but not pulse ox

1 Like

Spouse got the pixel watch and also recommends the Samsung watch for having the best sensors. They are expensive but he has heart issues and we decided it was worth it to keep an eye on it.

I think the Samsung may do pulse ox on demand but most (pixel included) only do pulse ox during sleep. They both have an EKG setting as well.

I know several people with and aura ring but we decided the watches had better sensors.

There are some arm bands that might be free if you have long COVID or other conditions but they don’t do pulse ox, just pulse.

1 Like

Also, the apple blood ox is not enabled on new watches (and/or they aren’t even allowed to sell the watches) because they infringed on another company’s parents to develop that technology in the watch.

5 Likes

Sewing people, how do I mend this coat lining? This is by the arm pit. It’s 50% nylon and 50% acetate, I don’t want to stitch it and have the stitches tear out or something.

Doh forgot the picture.

4 Likes

Not only that, didn’t they disable it software side on existing devices?

You’ll want to fold in the edges so it’s like the rest of it, pin parallel to the seam if you’ve got room, and then do a ladder stitch to close it up.

If it’s unraveling too much to stitch up add some iron on interfacing to give it something solid. Just a piece that’s a smidge longer and wider than the unravelling bit, warm iron for like 10 seconds (due to the nylon content you might want another bit of scrap fabric as a pressing cloth), repeat on other side, then stitch.

10 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

I haven’t tried them yet, but last time I ordered from H&M they had a sale on clothing patches that seem exactly like tent patches. So if my stitches ripped I’d use that because I am a lazy person. I am also wearing ripped leggings. Thanks for reminding me that this has a lazy solution!

2 Likes

After a beautiful sunny day yesterday and I can confirm that my new Fitbit is still easy to read even in direct sunlight. Also the screen is much more responsive - seems to be a proper touch screen now, my previous Fitbit was more of a tap screen and I seemed to have to hit it harder and harder as it got older!

8 Likes

Oooh, maybe it is worth upgrading, especially since my band is falling apart. What model Fitbit do you have?

I went for the Charge 6, mainly because I liked the look of the display. Never actually got to see one before I bought it as the nearest stockist is about 100 miles away!

The silicon stap is ok but I’m thinking about replacing it with an elasticated one - load of funky coloured options on amazon.

5 Likes

Cute! But I demand 10 day battery life :laughing:.

Hey, do you want my Fitbit inspire? Can definitely read in the sun. I got it for Christmas thinking I would use it for sleep tracking but I’m not convinced now that it is accurate for that or that I want to know. Plus wearing it gets in the way of baby transfers to crib. :melting_face:

3 Likes

OMG I would love it if you really just don’t love wearing it.

1 Like

Message me your deets:)

1 Like

And I agree with you about the sleep- it has never matched my subjective experience.