Random Questions

Thanks! I’m hoping my high pain tolerance will get me through. I originally planned just a small cursive word but fell in love with this artist a couple years ago and slowly got excited about the idea of expanded scope lol.

6 Likes

I want to make hand embroidered napkins as gifts, but I’m pretty sure anyone I’m likely to make them for will wash and dry them in the machine on regular cycles. Does that make the whole enterprise a waste of time?

3 Likes

I have a set of hand-embroidered napkins from my mom. I wash and dry them in the machine and they’re fine!

2 Likes

I embroidered handkerchiefs for my dad. I washed them before sending them to him and they came out fine. Normal embroidery floss is colour fast.

2 Likes

make sure you wash & dry them on a regular cycle before you do the embroidery. and then probably try to choose patterns with smaller floats so they’re less likely to get caught in the machine.

3 Likes

Ok!
Things are moving fast in the company where I’m employed and we’re likely to have some duty changes soon, and some title changes.
We’ll have a certain level of influence over our new titles (small-ish company), and I would like the least sales-ish-sounding title possible as I never want to work on a sales team again in the future.
How the heck do I say this to my VP, etc. without sounding like a jerk?

I’m on a sales team, that falls under the marketing team umbrella of the company. I don’t do direct sales at all, I basically do special projects for biz dev.

In the near future, I will be doing a lot more project management (and the company will probably be paying for me to get my PM Cert), and have been doing a ton of special projects for the last few years.
I’m hoping for something generically transferrable to a non-sales role in the future like… Special Projects Manager, Associate Project Manager, Assistant PM, etc. but am worried I’m going to be given a “Sales Manager” or “Vendor Manager”, or even “Partnerships Manager” (although I could spin that one). I’m also worried about how to express this without letting them know that I do not envision or hope for a future similar to where I am now.

Any thoughts? Maybe this is a moot discussion, as I know most folks kinda tweak their old titles on their resumes, but I thought I’d ask how one might approach this topic without letting on that they NEVER want to be in the same team/industry again? :thinking:

9 Likes

PM, Business Development?

I like Special Projects Manager.

4 Likes

Program manager?

4 Likes

Thanks so much @diapasoun and @plainjane those are great options. I

'm also looking for guidance as to how to bring this to the discussion strongly, without rubbing people the wrong way. It’s such a mix; some of us have the most sales-team titles to ever exist and some of us have generalized titles. I’m like… how do I respond if they offer me a “sales manager” or something that won’t work for my future. :confused: Hope I am making sense!

3 Likes

From what you said, it sounds like the titles you suggested are a better fit for the type of work you’ve been doing? They may offer Sales Manager because that’s a standard thing to offer, but if a different title is more accurate, that’s a very good thing to point out.

It’s also perfectly fine to tell your boss that the type of work you want to do in future – the career trajectory you want – is more in line with a PM title than a Sales Manager title. You don’t have to say that you hate sales with an undying passion, just that something else is a better fit for where you want to go.

3 Likes

Apologies if I missed it, but what is your current title? If it’s tweak-able that might be the easiest way to explain what you’d like (with your expanding responsibilities you’d like to modify your title for accuracy’s sake?), but if it’s nothing like what you want you could also go with “Well, since I’m moving more into project management/have been focusing primarily on project management, especially with this new certification, I’d like to go with ‘special project’ manager’ to reflect that.”
Especially if you’ve at least been approved for the certification by then.

1 Like

Thanks so much! With permission, my email signature is biz dev, special projects, BUT my technical title is biz dev coordinator, which we all agree is not correct.

3 Likes

I once worked at a company that had a Customer Success department. After the sales team closed the deal, that team was responsible for education and onboarding. Something about the education component could be in line with your instructional design goals in the future?

1 Like

Nice–since you’ve already got permission for special projects in your signature, it seems like it’d be entirely reasonable/natural to ask for that as part of your official title.

2 Likes

Project manager - Marketing

1 Like

Now that, I like. Thank you!

In terms of getting ahead at least. Marketing, as a whole, when I’m honest with myself, makes me want to smash my head through the nearest window, BUT it pays my bills.

4 Likes

PM - development or biz development like someone else suggested works too.

I don’t like “special projects” because it is vague and gives no hints about what kind of projects are done. It may also sound peripheral to the “core” business functions.

Job titles often do a crap job of informing those outside (or even inside) your company what your role entails, and what “pay band” / experience required you fall into. Purposefully obtuse is not suspicion.

3 Likes

I’m looking at potentially 3D printing a fun little something to give away as a small fundraiser (<$10). There’s different topics - I’m doing a small pirate chest for the pirate theme, but what could I do for dark academia or for Lord of the Rings?

I’m scrolling through Thingiverse but “dark academia” isn’t a great search term. If I searched, like, pencil holder then that would turn something up.

3 Likes

A small 3d printed “book” with a hidden compartment inside?

3 Likes

Pen with poison compartment

2 Likes