Random Questions

I wonder if a jacket or something would change the color reflecting on my face enough, but also, there’s stuff on the back that I’d like to have visible.

Maybe enough necklace? But a bulky necklace seems like it would look funny with a tshirt. It’s a unisex cut.

2 Likes

Can we have a picture of the shirt? And do you like turtlenecks, buffs and or scarves?

2 Likes

I recently cut up and hemmed a t shirt that I loved but fit badly. Now it fits less badly but I look like a punk when I’m actually a middle aged lady with a sore back.

4 Likes

It’s one of these. On the back it says “and I learned it all in the Foxfire Book”

6 Likes

Okay, recently switched to Monarch. In Mint, I had this sloppy category called “general household” where lots of stuff went- toiletries, TP, kids toys, anything short of clearly other categories like furniture or clothes went in there. Monarch doesn’t really have any intuitively named categories for this stuff other than “shopping”? But I don’t want to use shopping under the sub heading shopping, that bothers me lol. How is everyone else (esp people with busy lives/lots of kid and random life purchases) handling categories like this? I know a lot of people will do toiletries and paper goods in grocery but I dont really want to do that either lol.

2 Likes

I call them Everyday Expenses > Household.

Screenshot

The counterpart is Luxuries, which includes Travel, Clothing Fun, Hobbies, Home Improvements

3 Likes

Oh interesting! Ty.

3 Likes

So when I accumulate enough white/white-ish t-shirts I break out the tie-dye and do a batch…if I remember right, RIT dye (although possibly an RIT variant) works for polyester as well as cotton.

5 Likes

A polo or collared shirt under, or drapey scarf over. I don’t think a necklace will do enough.

3 Likes

Polo is a good idea.

1 Like

You can buy little detachable collars to wear with it.

I would probably dye it a more flattering colour though. The polyester dyes out there are quite good and a t shirt is small enough to do in a stock pot on the stove.

4 Likes

Put on the stove is a good idea. Maybe I will. What usually happens, though, is I buy some dye and it just sits for years.

5 Likes

I need new smoke detectors but the old ones are hard-wired and one is malfunctioning (goes off every time BB showers). Has anyone had the hard wired ones replaced? Can you even find an electrician to do it? Should I just stick up battery ones and somehow disable the old one that is malfunctioning?

3 Likes

Hard wired ones have a plug that attaches the wires. It’s just as easy as replacing a batter operated one.

Different brands have different plug types. I take the existing detector into the store with me to make sure I get the right kind.

9 Likes

What don’t you know??

5 Likes

This seems obvious now, but my initial Google search kept saying that I needed an electrician and I had also been told that before. Thank you for their reality check! Different search terms does confirm this.

6 Likes

We got them from Amazon and replaced them all

2 Likes

A lot of things. Portuguese, for starters.

4 Likes

I can confirm that I looked at the name brand of my old hard wired ones, went to Home Depot and bought a box of the same brand, and then replaced them by undoing the plug and plugging in the new ones. I think if you are switching brands to a non-compatible brand, then you would need to rewire them and might want an electrician.

2 Likes

I have a cd that got a few months of interest in 2023 but will mature in 2024. Do I need to claim the interest on this year’s taxes?