Random Questions

I was prescribed them too for plantar fasciitis and tendonitis postpartum.

I ended up buying 2 pairs and put them in my most frequently worn shoes. My PT said my trail runners were also supportive enough, so effectively I had 3 pairs of “approved” shoes plus foam Birkenstocks for inside the house. Sticking to those options 90% of the time meant I could be pain-free.

After about 3 months (including lots of PT to strengthen the tiny foot muscles) I could ease up a bit. I don’t have to wear slippers inside anymore unless I’m spending a prolonged period of time on my feet or babywearing. I put the insoles in my Blundstones and either wear those or my trail runners most of the time now.

4 Likes

Hey guys! Thank you for all the non-screen time activities! We have an only child and no real kid village and IF we have a second it will be a 7 year gap LOL. So we gotta figure it out and now I have a huge list thanks to all of yoU!

8 Likes

Late to the party but another vote for the Travelpro Maxlite range that @RamonaQ also recommended. It is very light and that’s a big deal for me especially here in Australia given the tough weight restrictions for carry on luggage for domestic flights. I’ve only had mine for a year and done a couple of trips to NZ and a couple of domestic flights so I cant vouch for durability but it seems well made and strong. I bought one for my son for Christmas this year.

1 Like

I put superfeet in all my shoes but it’s been a bit of a trial and error depending on the shoe. I take out the insoles that are included with the shoe and insert the Superfeet. I find that the “original” superfeet blue and green are too thick in some of my shoes. Lately they’ve come out with all these options that make it more confusing, but you can go into their website and look up profile/thickness/arch support, etc.

These are my current favorites, and they fit nicely in my casual sneakers.

I put a dedicated pair in each of my day-to-day shoes, of which there are 3. None in my booties or tall boots but those I don’t expect to walk much in.

3 Likes

I use Sole insoles (unfortunately they no longer make the style I like) and luckily I was able to find some on clearance so I have them in most of my commonly used shoes and there are some that I move around as needed.

1 Like

How do I dispose of a half bottle of Ammonia? I am pretty sure we have moved this bottle three times, and husband has had it longer than I have been around. I am uninterested in moving it again.

2 Likes

You can poor it down the drain if you run a lot of water with it.

Does your location have any sort of household hazardous waste disposal drop-off sites?

1 Like

I just paid $322 for a year’s supply of contact lenses for my daughter. Through Kaiser, our vision insurance. Does this sound about right? Too high? A good deal? I’ve never had contacts so I don’t know.

7 Likes

Normalish to me. Maybe a little high since you are using insurance? But there are so many variables depending on your prescription and the type of lenses. I buy from lensdirect and they usually have discount codes I can use to bring my (astigmatism/ -5.5/ wear for a month) contacts down in price.

3 Likes

Seems a little steep but not by much. I paid $130 last year for a 6 month supply not using insurance. This is for biofinity toric monthlies, very high prescription . If she has dailies those tend to be more expensive.

That price seems like insurance didn’t cover anything though. Did you check 1800 contacts? My optometrist basically charges me the same price that 1800 contacts does.

4 Likes

Is it because you didn’t reach your deductible yet so have to pay the full amount? My vision insurance is separate from medical but I don’t know how Kaiser works.

5 Likes

My Kaiser plan might be different than yours, but my Kaiser plan does not cover contacts at all. They will cover a very small amount toward glasses, and fully cover all eye exams and things, but they don’t pay anything toward contacts. However, I don’t have Kaiser eye insurance, just Kaiser health insurance. I have separate eye insurance (VSP) that will pay a lot toward glasses (but not at Kaiser because they can’t accept outside insurance) or they will pay a little toward contacts. They eye insurance will only cover glasses or contacts in the same year, so it is much more efficient to have them pay for the glasses. I get glasses using my insurance from an optometrist and then I buy the contacts completely out of pocket from Costco.

I paid $180 for a full year last year through Costco. However, that should probably only be for 6 months. I wear each of my lenses for a full month, even though they say on them that you can only wear them for 2 weeks. So from Costco’s point of view I am buying a 6 month supply, but I am really buying a year supply. My optometrist said there is nothing wrong with wearing them for a month each, but not to wear them any longer than that.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. It kind of seems like I just paid for contacts, no insurance benefit included. I assumed it was because I went through them but I think it must be a “partner” thing. I clearly need to look up our vision benefits. I know annual eye exams are included and some amount toward glasses, but maybe contacts aren’t covered and I just paid full price? So I need to look into that.

4 Likes

General PSA: if you have very high prescription, or if your vision is very different between the two eyes, ask the optometrist if your contacts can be considered “medically necessary”. Mine are (-8.5 and -9 power), but not all optometrists/office staff will recognize this or look into it. I’ve had to push for it a few times with different offices, but if they are “medically necessary”, insurance will pay for the entire cost.

5 Likes

For me it’s usually cheaper to just order contacts through Costco vs. using my VSP insurance. VSP will contribute $120 towards contacts 1x a year, but Costco’s price is much cheaper than that discount. Also, if they are daily contacts, I think that price is probably pretty normal. For monthly contacts, it’s a bit high

4 Likes

Halfway. She changes them every two weeks.

Until I reached middle age and started needing reading glasses, I was a lucky person who had perfect vision. So it’s all new to me. Here’s her prescription:

I don’t really understand what it all means. I can see it’s different than the eyeglasses one.

1 Like

That is a very low prescription. I doubt they would determine the contacts are medically necessary.

4 Likes

1800contacts is quoting $240 for that contact lens after discount, and there may be an additional 30% (not sure - would need to add to cart to see it). I bet Costco would be similar.

Edit: Costco is ~$200

Can you cancel the order with Kaiser?

3 Likes

Maybe. I’ll look into it. Thanks for finding that for me!

1 Like