Random Questions

I like buying suitcases at Ross or Marshall’s. You can feel the spinny and rolly mechanisms and they are usually nice brands very discounted.

7 Likes

I’m on StoryGraph as I’m trying to decrease the tendrils of Amazon in my life, They do what little I require.

I used to keep track just through posting in LJ, but that was easier with tags. (ie harder here for me to then go back and find just those posts)

3 Likes

Haha yes I hit 55, which is my goal for next year, but I’m at risk of finishing my current book too soon :joy: it’s on kindle and I can’t tell what % will be end notes so I’m going to accidentally hit the end early, I can feel it!

3 Likes

We got a food processor for Christmas but now I’m not quite sure what do do with it or how to get stayed. What’s your favorite use for a food processor?

3 Likes

Making hummus, or peeling lots of garlic and chopping it up with olive oil to store in the fridge for future use. Ditto with ginger.

Yesterday I made ham and bean soup but DH hates the texture of beans so I blitzed them in the food processor before putting them in the soup. This way they just thicken the soup instead of being distinguishable chunks of beans.

I use the shredder attachment to shred cheese or potatoes for hash browns.

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen hard side/spinner wheels are definitely the way to go (that and avoiding smart bags given the whole lithium battery fun)…parent swears by Samsonite if that helps, but I’m pretty sure their testing consisted of ‘go to random department store and drag several around’ so if you’ve got a chance to do the same thing, maybe that would be worth it?

3 Likes

Chimichurri :drooling_face:

1 Like

Oh! And the shredding disk for Brussel sprouts to roast in the air fryer or convection oven with EVOO and garlic. Soooo good. Finish with a splash of lemon juice and some feta? Heaven.

5 Likes

My Heyes luggage has lasted a long time, and I travelled biweekly with it for years.

2 Likes

I love the Travelpro Maxlite style because it’s so light and the spinner wheels are great. It’s soft-sided but I know they make hard sided versions (they would just be a little heavier). That’s my only real advice: pay attention to weight. 2-3 pounds difference doesn’t seem like much but it matters when you’re lugging stuff around. That and don’t get a black suitcase if possible.

4 Likes

Grating Parmesan, making breadcrumbs, and pesto.

If I’m cooking for a crowd I do use it to chop the onions.

Oh, and doing cabbage for slaw.

2 Likes

No, like underneath the wooden tracks you can use duplo blocks to elevate them. Make bridges and big hills etc.

2 Likes

I have this: Amazon.com | Samsonite Freeform Hardside Expandable with Double Spinner Wheels, Carry-On 21-Inch, Sage Green | Luggage

Only got it this year, but so far I really like it.

1 Like

I thought this said Making humans…

I use my food processor for pesto, making any sort of biscuit or pie crust, chopping nuts. I have a small one I use for garlic and ginger.

4 Likes

Take my advice for what you pay for it, but I fly a decent amount between work and personal and I have a bit of a luggage problem (addiction). Usually I buy samsonite from TJ Maxx or Marshall’s but a while back I saw a good deal on a super cute ifly brand bag which is kind of a cheapo walmart/sam’s club deal so I snagged it. It’s a bright color hardside bag with spinny wheels and it’s extremely lightweight and…I love it. It might not last the rest of my life, but the fact is some flights are really hard on bags and some just aren’t and you don’t know what you’re going to get. I’ve seen people’s fancy bags come out totally destroyed, and things that don’t even look like they should have held together down the carousel that come out just fine. Anyway, if you’re not looking to spend a fortune, I really like my ifly bag.

Eta for detail: I think mine is a 20" spinner (maybe 22"??) so it can carry on or be checked, and it was $25 on sale.

5 Likes

I know you can make 2023 contributions to an IRA until April of the next year. But does that include 401k rollovers? Or if I rollover my 401k to a Roth IRA this month will it have to be a 2024 contribution?

4 Likes

I think rollovers don’t count.

3 Likes

A rollover does not apply to the contribution limit.
If your 401k contributions were pretax (they usually are - Roth 401k’s are pretty rare), the entire amount will be taxed.

2 Likes

A physical therapist recommended OTC orthotic inserts to help with my various midlife pains.

I feel silly but I’m having trouble picturing how they work. Do I need a separate pair for every pair of shoes? Do I just put them in my walking/running shoes? If anyone who has experiene could weigh in, I would really appreciate it.

6 Likes

I started off purchasing one set and moving the insoles between different shoes. Then I started to buy ones specifically for the shoes I wear most often. It was good because I could learn which types and brands I liked, and I wasn’t buying a bunch all at once that didn’t work.

6 Likes