Random Questions

it’s the break between christmas and new years and lots of people have taken the time as vacation. I’d give them until at least the 5th to reply.

5 Likes

I’d give it a couple more weeks, a phone call if there’s a number, otherwise an email saying “in two weeks I’m giving this to a toy drive at the hospital if you don’t get back to me” and then I’d give it to the toy drive at the children’s hospital. That’s assuming I didn’t have space to store for longer.

7 Likes

Good call, I can wait another week.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what I will do with them if the company ghosts me because it’s a toy that lets you connect duplos and wooden train tracks together so it requires a kid to have both of those other toys already.

5 Likes

Hmmmm that is tricky. Reseller time :joy: gift to someone on Buy Nothing who needs cash and has eBay time? Then you’re not the one profiting? Niche toy does make it way trickier!

7 Likes

Why would a new drain make odd noises?

I got a new bathroom sink and faucet a couple of weeks ago. When the water runs down the drain it makes a noise that the last faucet didn’t, kind of a gurgling sound but I’m not good at describing noises. It is the same model of faucet and the old one did not do it.

The only thing I can think of is that the faucet is not centered on the drain (it definitely is not centered) so the water hits it to the side a bit then runs to the middle. Would that cause a noise? I’m finding it to be quite annoying and will be having it fixed if possible but thought I’d get opinions here.

Will centering the faucet fix the problem? I couldn’t get a good picture.

Another possibility? Something with the aerator? The water stream seems not right? I’m obviously not a plumber.

1 Like

What happens if you close the stopper at the bottom of the sink, fill it to the level of your choice with water, then remove the stopper and drain the collected liquid? Does it still make the noise? That should take away the effect of the faucet not being centered.

Is it the same Ptrap in the outlet line? I assume you’ve checked under the sink to make sure that the problem is not a leak. Any new smells?

Can you post a video with sound?

3 Likes

It didn’t make the noise when I filled and drained the sink. I believe all of the lines are the same, there are no leaks or smells.

Speaking of bathroom faucets, Mine is chrome colored. I want to change out all of the other bathroom hardware to black but I don’t want to change the faucet because I don’t want black to show all the water spots. Is this gonna look bad?

2 Likes

It doesn’t sound bad to me, and no leaks is a good sign too.

Did you replace the drain pipe? One guess is that the old drain pipe had soap and hair and gunk on the outer surface of the drain pipe and in it that quieted the sound and maybe slowed the flow. The new drain pipe is clean, maybe what you hear is the draining water running down the side of the pipe or hitting the water in the P-trap. If this is the case it will take of itself with a little bit of use and time.

I see what you mean though about the faucet being off-center, the water is kind of circling to the right, and maybe it’s the imbalance of the way the water enters the pipe. What happens if you something like a spatula and use it to divert the water stream to different areas of the sink? Or if you pour a big pitcher in all at once with the drain open, or pour water in so it’s entering at the center?

It’s a sounds a bit like it could use a vortex breaker but the water level is so low a vortex breaker isn’t really practical. Do you have a small sieve, or something like a hair catcher? If you can easily pull the drain plug, you could put something like that in there, all though It might make the noise worse if you end up with a steady stream dropping from the base of the sieve straight onto the water of the P-trap, instead of the walls.

It’s a fascinating fluid flow problem. I think I’d probably play with with various theories like that until I had exhausted all of the entertainment value I could from it and then move on to a more pressing problem in my life.

In the end that’s probably not much help.

2 Likes

Like the wide duplo train track to the regular wooden track?

How are you all keeping track of the books you read? My friend just showed me the “bookmory” app which seems neat.

4 Likes

I just use my notes app :joy: one list for each year. I keep it simple. It’s how I keep track of… almost everything

2 Likes

I use Bookmory and Goodreads. I really like Bookmory’s calendar graphic

5 Likes

I just started it, I think I will like it

1 Like

I started using it for Jan 2023.

I also found (although I’ve forgotten how) that I could download my Libby history and upload it to Goodreads.

I use a kobo, but people I know who use Kindles say that they can auto sync to Goodreads.

(Kindles don’t play nice with Canadian libraries)

5 Likes

I have a little notebook. I’m always buying lovely notebooks, so one is dedicated to book related lists.

Now that I’ve finished my 52 books for 2023, I’ve got three books in progress because I don’t want to finish them until Monday. lol

5 Likes

I’ve heard good things about StoryGraph!

3 Likes

Anyone have small checked luggage recommendations? I need a non shitty roller bag for my trip. Doesn’t need to fit carryon (my backpack will be my carryon) but I need to be able to easily maneuver multiple cities on my own with it so not huge. I think I would prefer a hard case and with those 360 spinning wheels.

4 Likes

@RamonaQ recently mentioned a good one. It’s this: Amazon.com

3 Likes