Random Questions

Ok I admit I find it a little bit weird, but I have also totally done this before (when feeling sick). Also the ultimate comfort drink to me, which my grandpa taught me, is hot water with a little sugar and vanilla extract in it.

6 Likes

When I was in grad school in a lab with predominantly Chinese students (foreign national, not Chinese-American), they thought it was strange/unhealthy to drink cold water.

6 Likes

Okay I admit I was curious if this was a Chinese thing or what :sweat_smile: though I assume there are other cultures where it’s also normal / widespread!

I’m half chinese and my very white American in laws were visibly startled and squicked out by me drinking hot water on their most recent trip. I thought this was really funny. They were painfully careful to try not to react to it around me so there were several days of me being like ??? why is my FiL suddenly uncomfortable.

10 Likes

In my house we call it tardigrade soup

11 Likes

I did not know that drinking plain hot water was common among Chinese people but it is something I do with some regularity. It is often something I do if I’ve already had tea that day but I’m cold or otherwise craving more hot beverage.

4 Likes

Same!

1 Like

A vey white (nordic descent) co-worker drank hot water. If you have bad tasting tap water, I think it would taste worse hot (?)

2 Likes

I have been doing this for a while! Very much not Chinese :slight_smile:

We have delicious water here, and tea has always tasted weird to me, no matter how much I try to get into it.

2 Likes

I’m a little confused about why the ‘moved on to different positions’ would be a problem here…just because they’ve moved on doesn’t mean they weren’t your supervisors and able to speak to your work. “ABC, who supervised me at <job> between <dates>” is a perfectly reasonable reference to provide, and what ABC is doing now is kind of irrelevant.

3 Likes

Yes. I understand. Thanks for the opportunity to offer some clarity - I just don’t have any non professional/personal contacts for any of them.

1 Like

It would be person@jobtheyarenolongwith.com and just the company phone number

1 Like

It’s kind of an old people thing? I have known several people who did this, (usually with a slice of lemon) but they had given up caffeine but wanted the stimulating effect of a hot morning beverage….

3 Likes

Are they in LinkedIn? You could message them directly and ask for their updated contact info to provide as a reference check.

8 Likes

Yes this!!! So much this!

Also not having linkedin may be hurting a job search

2 Likes

I voted not weird, but then realized that my view is based on my extensive work travel to China where asking for water results in a teapot of hot water (since the only other drinks typically available were warm beer and room temperature baijiu). The first time it happened I thought it was odd, but was grateful that I knew it had been boiled. After that I expected it.

6 Likes

I’ve been asked to provide references for people I managed (unofficially, her actual manager was on medical leave and I was covering for 6 months) 3 jobs and 10 years ago. Just reach out on linked in and ask them for current contact details if you had a positive relationship. It is normal to get a message like that.

6 Likes

Squicked out is a pretty hilarious reaction to drinking hot water! But are you heating up cold water or drinking from the hot tap? You’re not supposed to drink hot tap water due to minerals in the pipes or something like that.

4 Likes

Yes - hot water is more likely to leech compounds out of the pipes. Of course this rule may have been influenced by the previous type of plumbing (hello lead pipes)

3 Likes

Now I want hot water with lemon. One of my favorite winter night drinks.

4 Likes

When is black friday? I googled after seeing the thread, and it says it is not this weekend. But many people here are saying it is a holiday weekend?

2 Likes