Random Questions

We use 4 milk crates (2 stacked side by side) and write in dry erase on the top. So I can see which milk crate contains the item I’m looking for. We do lose some space with this method but it makes it so the lid isn’t open as long and also it’s easy to get things out of the bottom. Deep frozen food is really cold, I don’t like touching it with my bare skin for long, so digging through to reach stuff at the bottom was too painful for me.

4 Likes

This is our main struggle. Husband is a bit more free form with inventory and organization, and he does almost all the organizing and retrieval. Too damn cold for me. HOWEVER, there are work gloves for cold shit that are AMAZING and I keep meaning to buy some (used them when I worked in food QA for a frozen product LOL) so I should really do that and be a more independent freezer user and stop nagging him about food inventory :joy:

4 Likes

Does anyone else ever get a popup from the website saying “502 error”? It took a while to figure out any meaning behind that, but it seems that error means that the ‘likes’ you’ve given out recently haven’t taken.

5 Likes

Yep any time I try to change my journal title.

2 Likes

I get it on almost every page. Anytime I load a new page I get a 502 error and then it loads

3 Likes

I get it sometimes, more often when I’m browsing on my phone I think.

1 Like

Oh, I like the milk crate idea. I also have a hard time using my hands in the freezer for much time. I should get some of those gloves.

4 Likes

I use pot holders for deep freezer dives, my hands can’t take the child either.

2 Likes

Finance random question!

Does anyone have a spreadsheet template you like (and would be willing to share :eyes:) for merged finances with another person? Essentially I want a template that will allow me to combine income/expense data from multiple bank accounts and easily see how much each person spent per category per month. All expenses would be considered “shared expenses” rather than trying to split things, I just want to get a sense of how even things are between the two of us, if that makes sense.

I have played around with Mint and a few other free websites that would automate this but it doesn’t really help because none of them can link to our non-US bank account that we use for most things. Some will let me import a file of transactions but not without a lot of work so a manual spreadsheet seems to be the best option, especially since we also have two different currencies involved to make things more complicated :sob:

5 Likes

I’m hosting a potluck harvest feast next weekend. I’m in charge of desserts. I’m an adequately accomplished pastry chef. This should be easy, but I can’t think of what I want to make. I could do pie or pastel a tres leches or… someone inspire me with some fun and delicious cooking project, please.

Chocolate mousse?

7 Likes

Tiramisu
There was tiramisu at a party tonight and all I could do was sneak some creamy yum.

4 Likes

Whatever I make can’t contain coffee, chocolate, or anything else with caffeine because of Sonja and her stupid food sensitives. She ruins my fun.

5 Likes

Apples!!! It’s a fall necessity.
Apple tort

5 Likes

Salted honey pie! Look up four and twenty blackbirds recipe.

7 Likes

I made this today. purple plum torte – smitten kitchen I’m not sure I would call it a project because it was easy, but it’s delicious and very end of summer/start of fall-ish. I added some almond extract to the batter, and more cinnamon than it said to. Or this is similar, pastry dough instead of cake. https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/plum-galette.html I made that one a couple of weeks ago. It’s good, but I personally prefer cake. But you know that about me! Or do an apple version if it’s already too cold for late-summer plums in Hoth. https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/rustic-french-apple-tart.html

7 Likes

If you want something simple you could make some fruit yum-yum. Graham cracker crust on bottom whatever fruit you like in the middle in whatever form you want (ie sliced, chunks, whatever) with cool-whip on the top. Nice easy dessert.

3 Likes

Cheesecake? I’m going to make one soon I think because I have all this cream cheese (oh darn…)

3 Likes

Apple crisp! Streusel topping - yum!

I just saw a good review for King Arthur’s Apple cake recipe.

They also have a really good almond tart.

ETA: obviously, you make two desserts - one with chocolate/ espresso, and another one.

Also, people go crazy for Rice Krispie treats.

4 Likes

This caught my eye the other day and looks delicious, I think I’m going to make it for a party next week. Pumpkin bars: Pumpkin Bars with Brown Sugar Frosting

2 Likes

I believe in stupid easy food.

You could do a trifle thing layered with store bought (handmade is fine) meringue cookies, whipped cream (add spices or flavour oils), and sliced fruit. If making at home ingredients are fruit, sugar, egg whites, heavy cream, any extra flavourings. Maybe baked /cooked apples and then flavour the cream with cinnamon or nutmeg.

Pudim- 3 eggs, 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, 1 can of whole fat milk. Put in blender. Then add a bunch of sugar to a Bundt/flan pan and heat it on the stove to make a caramel. Pour in blended mixture, stick in oven in a water bath for an hour on low heat. Refrigerate overnight before serving.

2 Likes