Random Questions

Fffffff thank you for the reminder that I should do my old PT exercises sometime. Maybe.

2 Likes

Shit. Me, too. Gotta get back on it.

3 Likes

On YouTube videos: they always ask you to “like” them. What does this do for them? Do they get paid for it? If so, I’m happy to do it.

1 Like

It helps with the algorithm I think. It makes their videos more likely to be recommended. They get paid if you watch ads, but not if you skip them.

2 Likes

I’ve been skipping ads. I should probably let them play then?

1 Like

If you want that YouTuber to get paid then yes. I happily skip ads for large organizations but for the smaller YouTubers I watch the ads.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen of you tubers who talk about their income, ad money is a tiny amount of their incomes. The ones I’ve seen talk about it, Patreon is the most followed by sponsored content.

3 Likes

Most make most of their money via in video deals where they promote items or do ads directly though, rather than the YouTube ads. But that also depends on subscriber number and video performance, they get paid higher/more deals the bigger the channel is of course.

1 Like

One person that I follow actually applied some deodorant while saying she is sponsored by them in one of her videos.

1 Like

they don’t get paid for the like, but engagement increases the chances that YouTube will suggest the video to people who don’t watch them regularly. And if they have any desire to get brand deals it helps to have the numbers to show.

Plus as someone who has put up videos in the past and might again in the future, sometimes the positive reinforcement to keep going is more important than money.

5 Likes

Book people
Halp!

Story time:
I haven’t been able to focus on a book in yearssss. My brain is just too wired+jumpy and can’t calm down.
I’ve read maybe two books in the past ~3 years. It’s SO hard to focus, it feels “pointless” to read fiction and I have such a bad internal dialogue around fiction that pops up any time I attempt to read it (this isn’t real, this is a waste of my time when I could be doing something useful, this is weird make-believe bs that only children do, etc etc)…so I’ve solely focused on nonfiction for 10+ years, but I want to re-learn to enjoy escapism! I want to SO BADLY!
I read fiction literally nonstop my entire childhood. I’d run into the woods and climb into a tree and read for hours. Now I can’t get through a page! :cry::weary:

I’ve found adventure-type fiction books that are loosely adjacent to non fiction to be the closest thing to trick myself into reading.

I’d love any suggestions for a re-emerging reader! Short, maybe adventure or science fiction but not too far from reality… hell, maybe even a friendship or romance theme? and Im sure I’d appreciate a queer theme.

Question:
Any book suggestions?
:books:

7 Likes

I don’t know if these are too far away from reality but they helped spark me back into reading after a lull.

Naiomi Novik’s stand alone books - Spinning Silver and Uprooted. They were both shortish so the world building wasn’t too slow and they both had light romance/friendship.

I was having a hard time with the big commitment of fantasy books - I didn’t want to commit to a 3-12 book series, I wanted something fun, quick, and joyful/conclusive at the end. These books really hit that for me.

Also what you’re describing, what about Dan Brown (Da’ Vinci code, etc)?

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I just googled the Novik books and I think the mention of wizards and fae is a little too far into fantasy for me. I do kind of like post-apocalyptic stories, etc. but it’s very hard to convince my brain on the true fantasy aspects (trolls, fairies, etc.). I wish! And maybe someday!!

I’m googling Dan Brown right now and this is maaaaaaybe more along the lines of a possibility! I’d heard of DaVinci Code before (maybe it was a movie?), but never looked into his books. I’ll keep digging. Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’m feeling encouraged! <3

3 Likes

Brains can be so rude sometimes!

What about A Psalm for the Wild Built by Becky Chambers? It’s set in a hopeful “healed future” kind of post industrial version of our world. It’s scifi inasmuch as there are talking robots. It’s a short novella, beautiful and contemplative, about life and purpose and caring for the climate.

5 Likes

for adventure and found family and short I thought of Martha Wells and All Systems Red (first of the murderbot books), but it is far future with robots and space travel.

It’s non-fiction, but did you read Wild by Cheryl Strayed?
Have you tried any autobiographical graphic novels, or non-fiction graphic novels?

4 Likes

Have you looked at Gideon the Ninth?

3 Likes

Mark Dawson’s books are very adventurous

Yes I have actually. I found it ok! Definitely readable.
Maybe you’re right. Maybe some autobiographical stuff might be helpful. I do own a few… maybe I should raid my own library. Lol

2 Likes

I was also thinking of biographical or autobiographical works of people you admire or who did things / took adventures that are interesting to you.

I have a similar brain dialogue. I also have a hard time just… reading. I tend to read while I’m eating, or maybe when I’m in bed for a few minutes until I drop the book because I’m falling asleep. A book by the toilet gets read in a page or two at a time.

I also am not to crazy about fiction, and mostly read non-fiction.

But - there are times when I just don’t want to do anything else, and find a trashy novel and stay up late reading it. I think it’s less that I like the book and more that I’m avoiding other things in my life.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice – I have a solid little list going of books to try!

8 Likes