Random Questions

Maybe also look at fan fiction? There are stories that extend the universe of so many books, TV shows, movies, etc. I sometimes find it easier to immerse myself in a world that is already familiar and that I know I enjoy. Plus fan fiction has a lot of stories that include queer themes, adventure, science fiction. Some stories are better than published novels, some are not. If you’re not familiar with fanfic, look at Archive of our Own.

3 Likes

I have one to add:

“Desert Solitaire” by Edward Abbey. Autobiographical about being a national park ranger in the southwest (Arches). I remember it filled me with wonder and peace.

4 Likes

i think “rocannon’s world” by ursula le guin fits your criteria perfectly. it’s short, and starts with a standalone short story that then becomes a longer novella. it hooked me immediately and was suoer imaginative and yet also rooted in the realities of
science.

1 Like

Anyone have a personal planning/organization app they like? I am testing:

• Todoist
  • Sortifyd
  • Structured
  • NoteCircle

but there are SO MANY. What’s like, Trello for your average Type A Silly Guy?

3 Likes

Would Google Keep work as a low tech, already built in solution

OK, this suggestion might be really out there, but… Trello?

:joy:

6 Likes

For my personal/home stuff I use… Trello :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. It works pretty well!

2 Likes

Help, we are being eaten alive. 9" of rain last week +or whatever) has resulted in 8 billion. Mosquitos hatched around yard. :sob: Do any of those hang-y type devices actually work on mosquitos? I am desperate. Tomorrow I am buying gauze to make DIY mosquito netting for a hat, because I can’t even go outside with the dog without getting bitten up, they even go after bare skin on hands… HALP.

7 Likes

If you can find the bodies of water, mosquito nibs work. In 24 hours.

Everything I’ve read suggests that the hanging things just attract more mosquitoes. Haven’t tried it myself to be sure, but I don’t want to risk it.

Yesterday I choked three times because of breathing so many mosquitoes.

3 Likes

What does “step down” mean in hospital terms?

I don’t know anything about hospital terminology, but one of my very beloved clients (context: I’m a dog walker/pet care person as my 2nd job) texted me late last night, saying their baby was going to be admitted to ‘step down’ and asked if I could care for the dogs to the best of my ability until they give me an update.

Of course I’m going to do this, but Google isn’t giving me much information as to what this term means and I’m absolutely not going to burden by texting to ask.

5 Likes

I think it means a unit where the person isn’t considered as critical. Like if they were in ICU, now they’re maybe on a regular floor or something. Don’t quote me on that though.

5 Likes

This is exactly right. Usually we’ll refer to a step down unit as something in between med surg type floors and the ICU (intensive care unit). In the ICU you’re looking at 1 nurse to 1-3 patients (depending on acuity). Step down you’ll get like 2-4 generally. Standard floors it’s more like 5-9 patients per one nurse. Just as an example of differences.

The only thing is you don’t have to “step down” to the step down unit, you can go straight to it and not have been in the ICU. Ie, I was on the maternal step down after Latte’s birth but never had ICU time, but I was too acute for the standard post partum floor.

Hope that helps and really hope their kid is on the mend soon :cry::cry::cry:

7 Likes

@AmandaS1989
@Bracken_Joy

Thanks for the clarity y’all. Sending love to their family for sure. :heart:

4 Likes

Hey does anybody know of anyone with governmental audit experience looking for work in the Piedmont Triad region of NC? We need somebody like yesterday since coworker is leaving.

4 Likes

:frowning: It’s so bad. I’m suffering. I don’t think gauze trip will be able to happen today after all, either.

2 Likes

That sounds miserable!
Does bug spray help at all? Or are there so many hungry mosquitos that they just bite anyway?

2 Likes

Do you have a bug jacket and pants? It is what we use canoeing in northern Ontario. Something like this:

2 Likes

Bug spray you say…

So uh I didn’t think it did, but apparently the stuff I have for ticks (Picaradin) also repels mosquitos. So, uh, guess I’m gonna use some of that.

(Yes, I am an idiot sometimes. Most of the time.)

6 Likes

I do not, but now I STRONGLY WANT. I had no idea such a thing existed.

5 Likes

Me on the French River two years ago. I always bring a bug shirt, this was the first time I used it - they were BRUTAL! They were biting my legs through the mesh on my chair!

6 Likes