Random Questions

I’m helping a friend plan a kid birthday party. What kind of food spread should we do that’s vegetarian? Current thoughts are cheese pizza, fruit platter, chips. Any other ideas?

No idea on head count right now but the kid wants to invite most of his class and some friends from outside of school.

Party time will be 10am-noon

4 Likes

Hummus and carrot sticks?

5 Likes

What age?

2 Likes

The birthday kid is turning 7.

2 Likes

Cake, cookies. Quesadillas, PB and j sandwich.
Potato chips salsa, guac

2 Likes

Hummus, veggie sticks. Grilled cheese/quesadillas with a black bean spread alternate (sticky enough to hold break together). Tater tots. Veggie dogs are the cheapest faux meat if they like that direction. Build your own tavos/in a bag will get super messy but be cool

2 Likes

Oooh fun question! I was a vegetarian kid (now vegetarian adult) who never got the cool party foods or any fun special vegetarian treatment, so this is a fun thought experiment for me!

• Fake hot dogs would be exciting. With some toppings they can choose from.
• Veggies sticks (carrots, etc) and ranch style dip.
• Grilled cheese cut into 4’s for easy snacking stacked up as a fun tower.
• Grapes!
• Rice crispy treats (use the vegan marshmallows) would be a home run.

Omg am I too old to throw myself a child’s birthday party? Am I taking my reparenting work too far?

18 Likes

You are absolutely the right age. Make sure you get pin the tail on the donkey. Maybe the stick you sneak under.

Boring adult parties are no fun. Games and treats are fun

14 Likes

Pin the tail on the Pikachu is likely to be a game at this one. Pin the tail on whatever brings you joy. I have also seen on the flame on the dragon.

8 Likes

Pigs in a blanket with veggie dogs! Nachos!

3 Likes

:laughing: I was also a vegetarian kid! My parents had vegetarian friends and their kids had the birthday parties with the cool food: bagel bite cheese pizzas. and lots of chips and dips. I always thought bagel bite cheese pizzas were amazing, because they were not something my parents would buy. So I’d say the cheese pizza, or lots of little cheese pizzas, could be a good direction to go!

3 Likes

What’s the best way to find/purchase life insurance?

2 Likes

I don’t know, but our old employer used MetLife if you want to look into them. Presumably they are legit and reliable.

1 Like

are insurance brokers a thing in the US or is it just in Canada?

1 Like

I just heard from a (US) friend this is her recommended method! So yes, a thing!

2 Likes

Why does my summer camp/daycare need my social security number on my 7 year old’s application? I really don’t know what they’d be using it for, and I don’t want to give it to them.

4 Likes

The only thing I can think of is if they’re providing food and use some USDA program? It’s worth calling and asking, or just not filling out that part of you think you can get away with it.

2 Likes

My cat’s litter box was completely emptied/cleaned on Sunday and scooped out Mon and Wed morning. She peed in my laundry hamper today which as far as I know she has never done. She stood on the edge, pawed at it a couple times, jumped in and peed right while looking at me watching her do it! There was very little if any pee, but she definitely made all the motions even if nothing much came out. She has used the litter box a few times since yesterday, I did look. I can scoop it at lunch and then keep an eye on it. Is she mad at me? (I haven’t done anything different, and she didn’t act mad.) Sick? What should I watch out for?

4 Likes

I would be concerned about a urinary tract infection! Frequency and not much coming out is a sign, and discomfort and using a new spot.

I think call your vet and tell them what happened and see if she needs to be checked out. I hope she’s ok!

4 Likes

Def sounds like UTI in a cat! Small quantity, new behavior, clean box. So long as you didn’t change anything with the box cleaning, I’d be looking for UTI.

4 Likes