Random Questions

Does anyone have a creative cheap idea to not be so cold at night? I have to get up to feed the baby, so I’m out of bed for like 20 or 30 minutes. It is about 60° in the basement, and by the time I get back to bed I am too cold to sleep, and I can’t warm up. I cannot run the space heaters in both rooms at the same time, but anyway I don’t think the coldness of the room is really the problem. It is the coldness of my body and of the bed. Would a hot water bottle help? There is no microwave in the basement but there’s an electric tea kettle.

7 Likes

Heating pad with a timer?

6 Likes

How do you feel about weighted blankets? Mine holds heat in too well.

1 Like

I liked my electric blanket very much. You can switch it on as you’re getting out of bed and switch it off as you get back in? Or just let her rip. Mine has an auto shut off setting too.

ETA: I mean not the super cheapest but so cozy for your climate and I don’t think too pricey these days.

3 Likes

I have an amazing heated blanket. I love it so so so so so much. If you’d like I can find the one I have and link it (later tonight since dh has the link). I’ve tried a lot of different ones and the one I have now is definitely the longest lasting. I use it daily (for pain) so I really put a lot of strain on them and some don’t last that long or get a lot worse after one or two washes.

3 Likes

Oooh, that’s one thing that I have in my house. I will ask BB if I can borrow it.

I don’t think a heated blanket (@AllHat and @rocklobster) is a great solution because it’s such a temporary problem. Usually the down comforter and flannel sheets are sufficient! And it’s mostly only a problem for the next week and a half or so because usually I just curl up against the Boy and steal his heat. It’s the least he can do. I think I’ll try the weighted blanket and if that doesn’t work I’ll pick up a heating pad.

5 Likes

Gotcha!

1 Like

Can you wear a puffy jacket, hat, and really good slippers so you don’t get chilled while you’re in the basement? It’s a lot harder to warm back up once you’re chilled.

I wear different pyjamas depending on whether there’s 1 person in my bed or 2!

4 Likes

I keep a full warm outfit on my bed for when I have to get out of bed at night or in the morning. I sleep in shorts and a tank, and then right on top of my blankets is a thermal shirt, puffy coat, and thick sweat pants. I immediately put those on when I get out of bed because I can’t stand being cold for even one second haha

6 Likes

I used to keep a throw sized heated blanket on just my side of the bed and I turned it on when I got in. Or I would turn it on before I got in, like when I left the bed, then turn it off when I got back in and snuggled into the warmth. It broke a few months ago so now I have a heating pad with a timer on it and I either lay on it, lay it on top of my side (since I side sleep) or put it down by my feet. I can’t sleep if my feet are cold!

4 Likes

I recommend microwaved rice packs! Mine stay warm under my blankets for a long time when I use them. No electricity needed.

4 Likes

Question.
(I’m sick, so my brain is boiling… if this question seems silly, plz keep that in mind).
I’m planning to remove my upper kitchen cabinets.
I want to be sure I can’t do it myself before I hire someone (although I got a phenomenal price for removal). I’m nervous because I have very fragile drywall and nearly 100 year old original cabinets. If you look at my drywall wrong some crumble-falls down.
Last week I pulled everything out to see if I could find the screws and what I’m finding is that it’s likely they’ve been painted, skimmed, whatever so many times that I’m NOT going to be able to find the fasteners by hand.

Would a metal detector borrowed from someone help me?

This all seems like more work than it’s worth considering I found a good price for demo + removal, but I have gotta ask before I can convince myself.

4 Likes

We have heated throws, and they are pretty awesome. I believe that they would get plenty of use.

1 Like

My answer to “it’s cold” is always Hat! Hats are great. But also do you have a cozy bathrobe or can you grab a blanket off your bed that’s pre warmed (from sleeping)?

Since it’s a temporary problem you can also make rice heat packs by filling a sock with rice and then putting the pair over it so you have a tube of rice that you can heat in the microwave.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea! The blanket can live in the Boy’s spot while he’s away :laughing:.

3 Likes

Try with a magnet? That’s how I find studs in my walls now.

3 Likes

Does anyone have opinions or research on microwaves? Ours is dying/dead. It’s pivotal to our household to have a working microwave. From my quick looking around at target/Home Depot/Amazon websites this is what I’m thinking. Thoughts before I order? Limited-time deal: TOSHIBA ML-EM34P(SS) Smart Countertop Microwave, Sensor Reheat, Works With Alexa & Remote Control, Kitchen Essentials, Mute Function&ECO Mode, 1100W, 1.3 Cu Ft, With 12.4" Turntable, Stainless Steel https://a.co/d/9fsBzz2

4 Likes

Anecdata of 1, but my parents bought myself and my sister microwaves from Costco (don’t remember models, sorry) and they lasted for years and years

4 Likes

I bought one this summer on FB Marketplace, if you are interested in saving some money and taking on the hassle. People often remove them when they upgrade appliances. It was about half the cost of buying new. There were quite a few listed for $20 but most of those were either the wrong size or no longer available. I paid $125 when they were going for about $250 due to supply issues.

2 Likes

I have a prescription for vitamin D. I am supposed to take one pill a week. They only gave me a month’s worth—four pills—and apparently I can get eight partial refills in the next year. My question is, why would they do it like this?! Is this some weird insurance cash grab? It’s not an expensive prescription.

2 Likes