Random Questions

Yeahh, that looks laser etched? Not easy to remove afaik, covering it up is probably the way to go.

Spray paint is also an option if you want to do something that’s more of a project, lol.

We had two identical thermoses for coffee and tea and spray painted the bottom of the coffee one so we could tell them apart. The spray paint was leftover from another project, probably overkill if you just need to do one bottle lol.

Also stickers.

5 Likes

Spray paint is the most fun and always the answer. :+1::+1::+1:

6 Likes

How frequently do you replace your mattress? Ours is probably about 12 years old, I feel like it should probably last a few more years, to 15 - 20, but maybe not?

4 Likes

We replaced ours recently after about… 10 years of ownership? My husband’s side was getting a very clear him-shaped divot.

2 Likes

I have made divots on both sides of our mattress, either way I can rotate it :cry: It’s only 6 years old, and I don’t want to get a new one, but it’s like sleeping in a valley.

2 Likes

We definitely should have replaced ours earlier. But we were trying to pay everything off, and then we were broke, and then we happened to get an offer of a free bed from someone we trusted wasn’t giving us bed bugs.

4 Likes

I had a mattress for 10 years - that was a couple of years too long since it definitely has a divot by the end. Then I shared one with spouse and it expired after 7 years; my back was hurting. Apparently the # of people, the material/construction, and how much you sweat (and therefore break down the materials) affects the lifespan. Now my answer is: when your back starts hurting.

6 Likes

I think it depends on use and quality of the mattress. Some seem done at about 10 years, some last forever. If you sleep at a friend’s house or hotel and suddenly realize your mattress is dead, that has been my way to tell.

7 Likes

I had no idea this could impact it! The divots in ours first started being noticeable after I had a baby and had the gross post-partum night sweats for a month or two.

It isn’t helped by the fact that I sleep in the same spot and the same position every night. My husband says I sleep like a corpse, lol.

8 Likes

Depends- materials, quality, overall body size and dimensions of occupants (my husband is a high density human, lol, think bowling ball versus board of lumber) and then also things like- is the edge breaking down ( if it’s a latex especially?)? Does the edge integrity matter to you (ie, esp for people who need to use their arms to assist themselves out of bed, losing edge integrity is a problem). I think humidity in your home is supposed to matter??? So universal number of years I don’t think you can say at all.

But one clear tell, if you set something down and it rolls into a trough it’s time :joy:

5 Likes

I don’t like my mattress but I hate all the other mattresses I sleep on. Also ours doesn’t have a noticeable divot in it yet so I don’t have a good excuse to go find the One True Mattress.

An interesting website I came across years ago is SleepLikeTheDead.com which has tons of mattress reviews, if you start down the path of mattress shopping. I did the mattress selector quiz and it asked me things I hadn’t really considered in a mattress.

2 Likes

It sounds like it would not be unreasonable to replace it now then.

We got this mattress free, my husband found it (new, in the plastic) on the side of the highway when we were in desperate need of a new mattress and had absolutely no money. I pulled into the driveway that night and saw it on the roof of his van and swore because We Did Not Have Money For That

It"s a king, which meant upgrading all of our bedding from a queen. It is stupid huge in our room, and we are looking at downsizing our house (so the goal was to buy a new house THEN replace the mattress & bed with a queen and get the new stuff delivered straight there. Don’t move the existing one).

I just…dont want to go through all the executive hassle of new bed frame and sheets, to be honest. If it was just a mattress replacement no biggie.

If we had actually bought a mattress way back then it would have been a queen.

3 Likes

I have a bank I like for everyday transactions, but it pays virtually no interest so I’m looking into getting a different high-yield savings account. Any advice on picking a bank for this? Will any place do as long as it’s FDIC-insured? and are the online-only banks legit?

2 Likes

I like Ally. I’ve been with them for years and haven’t had any problems.

Their interest rates (3.3% now) track with the other high-yield savings accounts I’ve seen, I like the online interface, and they keep adding new features.

You can separate your savings account into buckets, and you can set your transfers to go to specific buckets. I think I have 10 now? House maintenance, car insurance, emergency fund, vacation, etc. I think they just added a check deposit feature to their mobile site as well.

6 Likes

I use CIT bank. Their interest rate is 3.97% for the Savings Connect account. The online interface is meh and there are no features like Ally’s buckets, but those aren’t things I care about.

And yes, as long as an online bank is FDIC insured, it is legit.

4 Likes

Dremel type grinding or polishing tool?

We just switched to Ally from another online only bank and so far I’m happy with them! I’ve had online only banks for about…12 years? And never had a problem with no physical locations.

4 Likes

I also like Ally. In addition to high interest rate they have a “buckets” system you can use to organize your money, so basically I can designate some $$ as my general emergency savings, some $ for vacation savings, some for sinking funds for car repairs, etc, and it’s easy to see at a glance. I kept my convenient brick and mortar bank and just added an Ally savings account rather than fully switching to Ally. It’s worked well for me for a few years now!

3 Likes

Online banking is totally legit as long as it is fdic insured. You can look up fdic insurance but as long as you have less than $250k between accounts at the same bank if they fail the fdic reimburses you very quickly (either through transferring to another bank or writing you a check).

We use CapitalOne, my cousin uses Discover. We have both been very happy with them. Both currently at 3.3% interest on savings.

If physical locations/access to cash is important to you there are some that reimburse ATM fees. If you have a credit card with an institution it can be super easy to have a bank account with them too (like us with CO).

5 Likes

I like cross-stitch and I want to make a custom sampler thingie for a friend. How do I design my own cross stitch? I’ve only used Etsy patterns thus far.

3 Likes