Random Questions

Just FYI, but DCPA is doing a cyber Monday sale of $10 off tickets for certain shows (including Fiddler) if that’s of use–enter CYBER in the promotional code box before selecting your show/seats and they should show up at the lower price.

ETA–it looks like different shows have different discounts, but that’s the one for that specific show

1 Like

I just got that email, haha. Thanks for the heads up :blush:

1 Like

Tea drinkers (@TrisPrior)!

If I wanted to get my tea-loving sister something for Christmas, what online shops should I be looking at for loose-leaf tea?

2 Likes

Does she also like bourbon? :joy:

2 Likes

Sadly, no! I got her some to try last year :yum:

2 Likes

Upton teas is the one we use.

1 Like

Do you know what she already drinks?

Ummm…green tea, I think? She likes fancy teas that have flowers in them? I’m definitely not a tea drinker so it’s not usually a topic of conversation :grimacing:

3 Likes

Jasmine?

1 Like

So I might do tea paraphenalia, or I might steer clear. You can get tea flowers in white or green teas that she might like. But flavoured teas etc are like…. Getting nespresso hazlenut for a serious espresso drinker. You can get great green teas at all price points, but you don’t even know if she likes sencha or jasmine or matcha.

If she was a fruity tea drinker it is a different gifting game.

But these are like a one time fun thing she might like, available at many tea stores

2 Likes

I’ve gotten the tea flowers as a gift before. I wouldn’t say I’m a serious tea drinker, maybe more an amateur one… like the equivalent of a coffee drinker owning a burr grinder? For me it hit the perfect sweet spot between something I wouldn’t have picked for myself but enjoyed very much.

7 Likes

I like David’s Tea. Davidstea.com

If she’s at all pagan: QueenlyConjure - Etsy

If she likes spooky: Parlour Tea | The Weeping Glass

4 Likes

Kiddo is getting a set of kid-safe knives for Christmas. I was thinking we could make some sort of apple something together after he gets them. Not pie because that would have to be neat looking, but there’s a bunch of variations and I don’t know the difference between them. Buckle? Crumble? Other things? So my question is what’s something like those that we can plan to make together? Then I’ll make sure to have the ingredients on hand around Christmas.

Second question - what else can he help make and then show off to grandparents? Something not too fussy and hopefully not too much chopping (or I can help, I’m expecting to help prep at minimum) since his hands get tired.

3 Likes

Apple Crisp (not sure how it’s different than crumble) - basically fruit and spices topped with an oatmeal/sugar/butter crumble.

3 Likes

My crumble is flour, sugar, butter. I would just choose a recipe.

Chopped cucumbers for snack?

1 Like

Cucumber, strawberries, hard boiled eggs, and bananas are all great to start with. Apples can be a little tricky, but if he’s up to it I recommend slicing them in half first and putting them face down on the cutting board.

3 Likes

ETA also the challenge with apples for a crumble is no immediate gratification. I might start with instant pay off if he’s never done chopping before.

2 Likes

We make cookies periodically so he’s okay with a baking stage.

2 Likes

Crisp or crumble sounds yummy! (One has oats, one doesn’t)

Another idea is to make a cold fruit pie. I’ll see if I can find the recipe but we used to make something growing up that had a pre -baked shallow pie shell. Then you spread sweetened cream cheese and arrange fruit around in a circular pattern. So a circle of banana slices, a circle of strawberry slices, kiwis, and blueberries. Then you eat it chilled.

ETA: something like this (but we never added glaze)

3 Likes

When you reconnect (as long as it is within a certain period of time, maybe a month?) your reading activity will transfer and you’ll get your streak back.

3 Likes