Random Questions

Montessori schools still do soooo much sentence diagramming!

In theory, the kids would actually know the parts of speech when we started Latin. In practice, this was more true for some kids than for others.

2 Likes

Mostly what I remember was the fun of being allowed to write on our desks with a dry erase marker.

I still don’t know what all the different terms are for word types or clauses, I mostly go off what feels right when I’m talking, both in English and in other languages.

3 Likes

Question for the group. There is absolutely no sign of smoke within my house, but the fire alarm Keeps going off. Not the chirp that tells you to replace the Battery, but full-on alarm beeping. Could it be CO? We have a separate CO alarm that’s down by the ground and it has not gone off

2 Likes

Well CO alarm isn’t working. I just tried replacing my batteries and none of them will make it work. I turned off the AC. I have no idea if the smoke detector even does CO too?

2 Likes

My guess would be bad wiring or dust. The dust is less likely because when I worked at a commercial fire alarm servicing company, that tended to be a problem right after people turned on their heat for the first time for the season.

2 Likes

That one happened to Husband. First time turning on the heat in his new apartment, a while later flames were coming out of the grate. He got to meet the fire brigade.

5 Likes

Husband says-

“ How old is the alarm? It may be that the radioactive beam that is used for measuring the smoke in the air ran out of juice. Could also just be defective. I’d just replace it”

6 Likes

Yep, alarms expire.

2 Likes

Radioactive decay, holla!

4 Likes

Ok I might bed to make a trip to ace then. Are they easy to replace? It seems like the one in the hallway goes off, and then that triggers all of them to go off.

2 Likes

Ehhh it depends on if they’re wired in or not, and how much experience with electrical you have. I would watch some YouTube videos to get a sense of what it entails.

1 Like

Ok. In the meantime if I just pull it down from the ceiling will that disable the bad one so it doesn’t go off? It went off twice during lunch and just ruined nap time :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Depends on your system unfortunately from what I know. If they’re wired together, losing one pisses them all off.

ETA because some will be powered off wires yes without the system being linked if that makes sense. IIRC. This is past my depth though it’s been a while since I looked into that part. Two places ago so like 5-6 years.

2 Likes

Oh and you probably want to replace all of them. They’re likely all the same age and will all start having this problem

5 Likes

Ok. Thank you so much for your help. I just don’t know how to prevent it from going off in the middle of the night. During the day is bad enough because of Bella’s loud noise issues. I have to teach judo tonight so I can’t tackle it today. Why didn’t this happen last week when I was off work?!

2 Likes

I feel you. So much. SirB’s first ever panic attack was from a smoke alarm and they’re still like… very good odds if one goes in the night he has another panic attack. It’s happened twice that he had a panic attack, one he did not. WHY must they always go off at night?!

2 Likes

Does anyone have a recommendation for auto insurance (that they have had good luck with)? I just got my renewal paperwork for Progressive and it has gone up AGAIN. Years past, it went down year over year, as the car got older. I used to have it bundled with my homeowners insurance, but I haven’t since I bought this new house (because of a completely ridiculous reason on their end). I always had good luck with it in the past, the premiums were pretty good, and the one time I was rear ended (years ago now) they did the hard work of getting the other guy’s insurance to pay, and covered my rental while my car was in the shop, and I got my full deposit back with no problem. But like… in the past 18 months it has gone from 336/6 months (in feb 2021) to 424/6 months (for sept 2022), and my car is not getting any less old, and I only drive it like 5000 miles per year (but whether or not you use it to commute, or the yearly driving distance, makes no difference in the rate in my current state, the rate is the same).

Or are rates going up across the board? Please comment! (If they are, I don’t want to go to the trouble of finding a new one. For almost $100/6 months I will, but to save $50 or less over 6 months doesn’t feel worth it. I mean, truthfully, $100 over 6 months isn’t that much either, but it is the principal of the thing.)

5 Likes

Yeah we have Geico and ours went up like $60. Before that it went up like $100.

3 Likes

:angry: That’s butts. Was that for the 6-month premium? If so, it seems similar.

3 Likes

No help on cheaper insurance here, but I have State Farm and it’s also gone up $120/year. So yeah sounds pretty typical

3 Likes