Random Questions

Boooo ok. I was hoping for, well, not that. :joy:

2 Likes

I’m insured with AAA (but you have to have membership to get insurance). I have homeowner’s insurance bundled and back when I initially signed up I thought the rates were great. I haven’t looked into it for a while but if you’re looking to bundle it could be worth checking out.

2 Likes

No, I am happy with my homeowners insurance and it is a big hassle to switch it because the legal name of the town (on the deed) is not the same as the name the USPS uses. It is stupid and everyone who lives here has to deal with it, and some companies are super stubborn (like Progressive Homeowners was like “nope it doesnt match usps” and like WE KNOW, IT IS STUPID, THE USPS IS STUPID, IT IS WHAT IT IS but they wouldn’t budge. No skin off my back, I went with an agency that was able to deal with that. Anyway, I’m not bitter or anything, lol. I just don’t want to switch homeowners again and have to argue. (I went through a local insurance broker for homeowners, and they dealt with it, and also the rate is good. I don’t think they offer auto, though I could go to the agency and ask them for quotes. But it isn’t worth it to me for a small difference.)

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten my renewal yet for this 6 month period, so I don’t know if mine has gone up. But, I’ve had State Farm since I started driving at 17, and my parents for 30 years before that. I’ve always been really really happy, and I feel like the premiums are fair. They are super easy to deal with in terms of accidents, or roadside assistance. I have my homeowners insurance bundled for a discount, and they do the standard safe driver discount, etc.

In general, my rates have only trended down over the past 10 years. The only time I’ve had an increase was when I moved to AZ and suddenly it was way more than I paid in CO. But after living and driving here I see why that is :joy: But anyway, might be worth getting a quote for car + homeowners to see if the rates are any better!

5 Likes

The problem is some of the big companies rely on automatic addressing and see my above reply to meow. I don’t want to deal with that. Although it would be better bundled (and I used to have it bundled), it isn’t worth the hassle or potential arguments.

1 Like

I switched to Citizens last year because it was a lot less. It did go up $90 this time but that’s for both house and auto for a full year so I didn’t think it was terrible. Might be worth a look.

1 Like

I just checked and it looks like they do have auto. I don’t know if it is any good, but I suppose it couldn’t hurt to ask the broker for a quote with bundling. It does sound like from multiple sources that auto rates are going up across the board. My homeowners didn’t really change from 2021 to 2022, so all the change has been on the auto side.

2 Likes

Ok this is EXACTLY my experience with State Farm :rofl: Only difference is mine is bundled with renter’s insurance, but literally every single other detail is the same :rofl: Not useful to Calbal, but I couldn’t help commenting haha

4 Likes

We’ve always had State Farm because my in-laws did. I’ve never had any complaints.

Our premiums went way down when we moved from Ohio to Wisconsin which seemed strange but whatever.

1 Like

We got ours in June but our GEICO premium for a 2017 car that’s driven about 5k miles/ year is $295 (I think that’s with a “pay in full” discount) (and maybe we don’t have rental coverage? We could take public transit if our car was in the shop)

1 Like

I do know that it can vary greatly state to state and even by zip code, and mine def went up when I moved from ut to here. And it had changed when I moved from CA to it as well (and I lost my discount for low miles driven per year because in ut that was not a thing they offered). :woman_shrugging: I don’t think I could get that rate at all here, ever, as much as I would want it. :sob: So really, overall trends is more useful! (But I wish I had your rate, I have never had an at fault accident!)

1 Like

Our progressive went up a similar amount for six months, but I got a quote from geiko and it was more. So staying where we are.

We had State Farm for many years but switched to progressive about a decade ago because it was half the cost. Have had to deal with accidents in both (but not at fault) and didn’t notice much difference.

1 Like

Ooh, a thought: They are trying to “make back” the money they had to give back to use during the pandemic? (I mean, I only got a little bit back, but you know how companies are…)

2 Likes

Cost of rental cars and labor and parts for repairs are all radically higher. Unfortunately, big increases are pretty reasonable/expected right now from a cost to the company perspective.

2 Likes

Oh that’s very true, especially the rental car issue. I guess I am just whining. My car is old and it feels unfair and I don’t wanna! :joy:

Thanks everyone for helping me see I am not getting ripped off though!

5 Likes

I didn’t know where to put this so I’ll put it here. Have y’all ever heard of this company? They’ve pretty much eliminated the two main reasons people have for not buying an electric car.

5 Likes

Are either of your parents (or any stepparents) veterans? Some people complain about USAA but I have had it for decades for my auto insurance and I’m super happy with it. I also have an old car that I drive about 5,000 miles/year and I pay about $46/month.

1 Like

Yes, my father is a veteran, I hadn’t thought of that!

4 Likes

I’ve been following them for a while and I believe they’re expanding (from China) to a few countries in Europe this year.

2 Likes

Their cars look pretty cool. It’d be a long while before something like that comes to where I live though.

2 Likes