Random Questions

Some historic pickled (“pickled”?) foods are lactofermented, which is a whole other thing. Like traditionally saurekraut, kimchi, natto, tempeh, you can lactoferment many vegetables as well. But vinegar pickling is ok for some things.

2 Likes

If it’s a specialty item on backorder then I think selling at the right place is the key!

2 Likes

Not if it’s only listed locally and not for shipping, though. The question is, is higher price or DONE/MONEY NOW the goal?

2 Likes

If I got a book I still have it. Should route through my stuff and identify everything I got. But I literally haven’t opened the canner or taken the top off. Would be willing to send it and if anything is missing compensate you with the replacement cost.

1 Like

:+1: Many many many (most modern?) people don’t know this though!

1 Like

True!

@Greyweld what size is it?

1 Like

I thought that was common knowledge! I grew up in an area where lots of people canned though, and I’ve been reading in depth about food policy/food science/food history for many years.

Also IDK why my reply to you is above your comment? I must have accidentally edited my comment instead of replied, sorry, meds today.

3 Likes

:joy: gremlins in the matrix??

It’s definitely not common knowledge everywhere I have lived, and I have lived a lot of places! I am gen X and grew up semi-rural/semi-urban but have also lived in (non-farming) rural and big cities. And I think probably less common among younger generations. My sense is that people who are my age had parents who largely embraced all the “instant” stuff that was heavily marketed in the 60s and 70s (and their parents as well), so they never learned any of that. And truthfully, with increasing workloads, they didn’t have time to do everything from scratch either. And soooooo of people nowadays just take at face value everything that they see online! :woman_shrugging: I think there is a resurgence of “domestic arts” in recent years (ever more and more) but not the generational knowledge to go with it, and a pretty significant (in general) lack of critical thinking skills to question or research… :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

15 quart

1 Like

ok, speaking of potentially risky home food experiments

I just bought a litre (basically same size as a quart) of 3.25% goat milk with the plan of trying to do a lemon/vinegar chevre thing (probably based on How to Make Goat Cheese Recipe - Chèvre - Analida's Ethnic Spoon). Anything I should keep in mind before I do my first non-yogurt dairy thing?

2 Likes

Hm, let me think about it… that is smaller than the one I think I would pick. (If you get an offer you like, take it!!)

FWIW, all pressure canners on the All American site are out of stock until the end of the year. So, I think it is worthwhile to advertise a bit more broadly to see if there is any interest…

4 Likes

Honestly with the offers I’ve been getting I’m like damn I’d rather give it to someone I know and like if I’m only gonna get half price.

Will see about advertising on canning specific groups.

1 Like

I’ve made cheeses before, it’s not too hard! Soft cheese is pretty similar to yogurt in terms of process.

My advice: invest in a good digital thermometer, because especially when you are just starting out, you are relying strongly on temperature to tell you when to do things. I have a Thermopen I bought specifically for cheesemaking. I also got specialty cheesecloth (sometimes called butter muslin) - it is a very fine weave cloth (not at all like the stuff you buy at the grocery store) and makes things a lot easier.

Make sure the milk you have is not UHP (ultra-pasturized) - unfortunately, a lot of goat milk here in the US is UHP, presumably to make it last longer since there is lower demand, and that process denatures the proteins. The few times I accidentally bought UHP milk my curds would not set.

Use of vinegar/lemon juice does produce a fresh “cheese” but the cheese is not cultured. It is a very easy introduction to the process! Once you are hooked :wink: you’ll likely get into using starter culture and rennet, of which there are several types. Soft cheeses, especially acid set cheeses are definiitely a gateway into cheesemaking.

3 Likes

Also:

:joy::joy::joy: Not that risky! Especially with acid set and no culturing! Follow timing guidelines, storage guidelines, discard if anything smells off or has mold on it… (With soft cheese especially, if you see mold on the surface there are probably threads throughout the cheese (that you may not even be able to see). Hard cheeses are safer to just cut off the affected bit, but with soft cheese I would err on the side of caution. )

3 Likes

I think lots of people can using methods that aren’t all that safe, and I don’t eat other peoples home canned food except for jam. I don’t know if people have oven canned or steam canned or whatever, and I’m so old that my home ec class taught me that all canned food should be boiled before you eat it.

My son-in-law asked me last week what the pressure canner was for - he had no idea.

4 Likes

This is a $2 experiment (the goat milk was on the Flashfood app), so I’m going to risk the grocery store cheesecloth and my current thermometer. If I get hooked, then I’ll upgrade :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure it isn’t uht, but I will recheck. the website just says pasteurized. Delicious, Nutritious and Refreshing 3.25% Goat Milk | Woolwich Dairy

4 Likes

I’ve made paneer at home, with cow’s milk and lemon juice. Very very easy, make sure you add salt.

5 Likes

I think a lot of kitchen disasters are down to fake recipes :laughing: and just, terrible blogs.

3 Likes

ABSOLUTELY!!!

4 Likes

I want to start a journal somewhere private where I can catalogue restaurants and post both a written review and some images. Does anyone have ideas? I’d like something simpler than Wordpress since this is really just a reference for myself. It would be cool if it could have some kind of table of contents too. I realize I can do it in google docs or something, but I think that’s going to look really messy when I start adding images.

7 Likes