Random Questions

It’s been a long time since I’d had V8, but I’d say no. From what I can remember, V8 is very salty and has a very processed kind of taste. Fresh gazpacho is light and refreshing with chunks of tomatoes and cucumbers.

4 Likes

Is anyone currently on Google FI and would like to refer me? I am thinking of temporarily switching since I have two international trips coming up.

Or if you know an inexpensive service with a good international plan (for Canada and India), let me know! My phone does not have eSIM.

2 Likes

Oh we should? GM holds the account though so lemme poke him.

2 Likes

I’m trying to sell a pressure canner on Facebook marketplace. It is unused, but not new in box because I got rid of the box.

The canner goes for $380 from the manufacturer and is on backorder until December.

I’m asking $300 but am getting offers for $150 to $200.

Am I being unreasonable in how much I ask or is this just how Facebook is?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t pay anywhere close to MSRP for a “new” item without warranty, but I think getting low-ball offers is pretty standard online. I would add “no low ball offers” to your blurb.

Also, I would counter with “sorry, the lowest I can accept is _____”.

1 Like

What would your expected % off MSRP be? I thought 25% off would be good but maybe I was wrong?

It literally still has all the stickers on it.

Well normally you can get stuff for a discount off MSRP if you shop around, or during sales. Unless someone wanted that specific model of pressure canner they’re looking for a deal on the secondhand market. I were buying your item I’d want to get at least $100 off the new price.

Also, there are two kinds of low ball offers:

• try and see if you’re willing to accept a very low offer
  • willing to pay more but start low, expecting you to counter

If you have a number in mind, I’d list it at that price and say “price FIRM, no offers or trades please” and ignore anyone who tries to make you an offer. Then you’ll have an idea of whether your price is reasonable and can drop it if you get no bites.

I think the market for a high end pressure canner might be limited though… people who are canning their own food could just do a water bath.

2 Likes

I usually search for similar items on Facebook or Craigslist to see what typical prices are. I typically expect to sell things for a max of 50-60% of list price, less if i want it gone quickly.

3 Likes

An item is worth what people are willing to pay for it. If people won’t pay what you think it’s worth, it isn’t worth that price.

8 Likes

It’s a beautiful canner and I was sorely tempted, but it can’t be used on a glass top stove and it’s twice the price of a Presto canner of the same size, so I think it’s going to be a bit of a niche item?

3 Likes

You’re obviously right. I don’t know how long I should wait before lowering the price. But also I wouldn’t pay the price I’m asking so maybe I’m being unreasonable. I think this is just a cognitive bias loss aversion thing on my part - I would pay less to get it than I want to take to part with it.

8 Likes

Canning season is gonna be over in about a month…

5 Likes

Yep. Drop now. Otherwise there’s no spike in demand until right around Christmas for apple butter gifts, I would guess.

4 Likes

There’s a pretty big market, and the All American is one of the best. And no, you can’t just water bath. You can only water bath can high acid things like tomatoes (with added acid) and things like jams. Everything else needs to be pressure canned. Otherwise you risk botulism, which can be deadly.

(And for all the people who you see saying “well my grandmother water bath canned green beans”, there’s a reason why you sometimes see entire families in graveyards all dead within a few days or weeks of each other. Water bath canning low acid foods is dangerous, full stop. People who water bath can low acid foods and never have a problem are lucky.)

I would not drop the price. They are hard to find used in new condition. Have you happened to have advertised on canning sites? I am sure it would be snapped up. Also, it has only been a day or two, right? That’s not nearly enough time. (I mean, obviously they are a better deal if cheaper, but that is still a good deal.)

I am tempted to buy it at only 25% discount, as long as it has all the parts (including gasket, weights)… Do you still have the book as well?

6 Likes

Is that true even if you add citric acid (and vinegar)? I thought that was the purpose of adding it; so you can still water can.

1 Like

Only with high acid foods. Adding citric acid to things like low acid vegetables and meats is not enough.

Don’t follow random people on the internet or Facebook either, when it comes to canning. Follow safe guidelines developed by the National Center for Home Food Preservation/USDA (https://nchfp.uga.edu). Many (maybe all) Land Grand Universities also have Master Preservers the way that they have Master Gardeners, and also provide guidance on safe home canning following tested recipes. I would not ever risk using a rando recipe on the internet if it didn’t closely conform to one of these sources, also in terms of sizes and timing of canning, taking account of elevation differences, using proper sized jars (you shouldn’t use anything larger than a quart other than certain fruit juices), and more. A lot of people do dangerous things, like can dairy, water bath all kinds of things they shouldn’t, inversion canning (only should be used for maple syrup and only because you can’t water bath or pressure can it) etc etc etc. (Ball Blue Book is also a valid, tested source (there are actually in reality a couple of books put out by Ball on safe canning.)

7 Likes

I don’t use unreliable sources. I also don’t water can low acid foods, but I didn’t think it was by default dangerous if vinegar and citric acid was added (like pickled green beans, or eggs, for example). Interesting!

4 Likes

There is a tested dilly bean recipe put out by Ball.

2 Likes

I mean, how do you define unreliable though? Just because people have done things a certain way doesn’t mean they are safe?

Ah, pickles are another thing you can safely water bath can. But you would still want to consult for correct volumes of acid and time of processing. I believe picked green beans are ok. I do not believe it is ever safe to water bath can eggs, pickled or not.

3 Likes

Yes! So much historic canning was pickled foods.

I evaluate the source to the best of my ability using what I learned in college and throughout my writing career. So, random blogs or youtube videos: no, things that are produced in association with major universities or government organizations tend to be more reliable, depending on how they are funded and the history of those organizations. I try to find several of what I consider to be high quality sources (some edu, some independent org, some gov), read them all, and then see what the commonalities and differences are. I use that information against my own domain knowledge about cooking and food history to draw conclusions.

Yeah this is what I was talking about. Most vegetables that were historically water canned were pickled or fermented, not just tossed in raw with water.

3 Likes