Random Questions

Contract negotiations help? Hoping for some insight on this paragraph of my husband‘s job offer.

His questions-

does this clause really hamstring me from either changing companies or starting my own? Is it actually enforceable? (We have two family/friend lawyers telling us no, but the prospect of being frozen out of the whole industry for 6 months is scary).

Tagging @Suit @aaronpk @anomalily @brute anyone I can think of who might have insight lol.

5 Likes

IANAL BUT Non-solicitation is a bit different than a non-compete - it means you can’t approach the same customers for 6 months - so you can work in the industry, but you can’t go sell Widgets to Intel on your own or at a new job, if you were previously selling Widgets to Intel at current company.

BUT these have been criticized in court but less so than non-compete, which are usually seen as unenforceable for the average worker, except specific industries. I would ask to at the very least to modify it for a specific geographical area or exclude it entirely if that seems like it threatens future employment.

In those situations that would be when there is only one buyer (a monopsopy) That would be like if you sell Military Weapons and your only buyer is the US Military, if you weren’t allowed to go sell Military Weapons to the US Military at another firm for 6 months, that would be a restriction on seeking work if you’re an expert on Military Weapons.

6 Likes

This is pretty much my understanding too. Non-solicitation isn’t a big deal. Non-competes need to come with massive payoffs so you can relax on a beach for a year while you scheme your next startup.

3 Likes

Okay. Thank you guys. It’s a small industry on the experts side but less so on the customers side, but still pretty small, especially since he’s ending up being hyper specialized within the industry. So for a big part of his work he’s one of like 3 people in the country.

His reply:

4 Likes

Ya’ll are cool and I’m excited for SirB. :heart:
I have negative zero help in any other regard lol.

4 Likes

I went to law school with Kirsten Rush who does worker side of labor and employment law. If you want to reach out to her for an expert opinion she’s at 503-248-0504, krush@busseandhunt.com. She’s good and my husband does corporate side and respects her. I’m a lowly tort litigator and have no idea what happens with all the labor and employment law stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agree with Lily that this should likely have a geographical restriction too - versus barring him from anywhere in the universe.

So - what if he gets hired by a competitor?

3 Likes

Good news- his unofficial mentor at another company (neither the one he works with, or the one hiring him) thinks it’s fine. And he’s had to fight and buy out a noncompete himself, so he’s seen the ugly side of it first hand. That carries a lot of weight in the discussion. So he’s thinking he’ll instead focus on just negotiating salary and PTO. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

14 Likes

Thank you all for all your help.

They’re sending a new offer.
-unlimited PTO pending manager approval
-$10k higher than they offered but he keeps the non solicit.

He had basically said “$5 more and drop the non solicit, or $10 more and keep it”.

LETS DO THIS. I GET A HOUSE CLEANER NOW. :clap:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2::raised_hands:t2: And in theory he might travel less far away so his 12-16 hour single days should be more like 8-12. Holla.

28 Likes

YES YES YES YES YES
I misunderstood and thought the non-solicit was in his CURRENT contract and he was trying to figure out how to move on without triggering it. YAY for not that!!

YAY OFFER YAY MONEY YAY SIRB!

2 Likes

Heck yiiisssss :heart:

2 Likes

But like a lot more than he currently makes I think you said? Yay SirB!

3 Likes

YESSS!!

1 Like

Yeah it’ll be $25k/year more than he makes now :exploding_head: (although more like 15-20 because of car stipend and bonus structure stuff. But STILL)

13 Likes

Congrats, that’s awesome!

3 Likes

My dryer is shit at drying clothes. I have cleaned out the vent twice now so I’m pretty sure it’s not lint buildup. Anything else I should try before I give up and buy a new dryer?

1 Like

Gas or electric dryer? Do you use fabric softener?

When you say the vents do you mean the linty trap in the machine itself or the vent that goes outside?

2 Likes

Electric, no fabric softener.

The vent that goes outside, including the whole tube. Also the lint trap, that gets cleaned out after every run.

1 Like