Random Questions

Best Buy has them on sale, so Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to me!

2 Likes

I’m happy to share some of the gentle PT/strengthening things I do that are hip friendly, glute activating, etc. I don’t use any equipment, except the occasional theraband if I want extra resistance.

Also I think someone below mentioned Foundation Training, which I have done and really like as well for core strengthening/stability. I have the book, it was like $15 and I got a lot of back pain relief after a few months of doing the exercises consistently. I had many friends recommend it to me and also love it. Some of the more advanced moves are hard on my surgery hip so I don’t do them anymore, but the general basic routine is really really helpful.

3 Likes

Would you consider chicken parmesan a meal by itself?

3 Likes

Looking for outdoor cat deterrent suggestions. I need to get the neighbours cats to stop coming to hang out around my house due to the stress it is causing my cat. When they sit in the windows she is attacking them and gets quite agitated. We were thinking it was food allergies causing her to itch so bad she has open wounds, scabs and missing fur from scratching. When I took her to the vet today about it, we were discussing the reasons they scratch, and when he said stress and anxiety a huge light bulb went off (as explained above). It totally makes sense because I have owned her for 2.5 years and only in the last 4 months has the aggressive itching been happening, and that they been coming over more and her aggression to them advancing. The vet also recommended the feliway diffusers ( which I felt smart from hearing all you smart folks talking about them). Anyways, it looks like I need to get one, but also-

What can I do to get them off my porch?

Side note - the owner, D, has had neighbours complain about the 2 cats coming in yards, peeing all over (one knocked on her door and said all she smells is cat pee when she walks out and knows it’s the black cats), another has asked for them to put bells on because they hunt the birds, some parents complained that their kid is scared of cats and they were in the park across the street from us; they walk all over vehicles and sit on top (I have the paw prints on my hood and roof). D asked me if they defecated in my yard and I told her yes. I really do like her and don’t want to say anything. I do notice that when she is home they are outside less than when she works and the kids forget about them. I have said to her that my cat is attacking the windows when her come around and she calls it is entertainment for my cat (as she is strictly indoors).

ETA- not sure if it makes a difference but neither cat is fixed as she is on waitlists for low cost neutering since the spring.

If it persists I may have to put my cat on anxiety meds.

Anyways, guidance and suggestions for all above is welcome.

4 Likes

Just the chicken piece? No. I’d want a side like pasta or vegetables (or both).

2 Likes

My mom found it: https://youtu.be/s2zhZ7bco_M

Yupppp. Protein! Carbs! … A … fruigetable?

1 Like

I mean, technically since it’s breaded and has the red sauce and cheese, I can see the “it has everything” argument. Like a sandwich. But it wouldn’t feel like a meal to me.

3 Likes

Well, enough mashed potatoes to give me a coma counts as a meal to me, so, my standards maybe can’t be trusted.

8 Likes

Can you squirt them with a squirt bottle? Plant misters work well, and they won’t do the cats any harm, but it does tend to discourage them over time.

:laughing: Maybe I’m biased because I could easily go vegetarian and hardly notice outside of meal planning and I’m also not a fan of tomato sauce. Gimme my carbs! Proper carbs, not just some bread crumbs. I’m in the camp of wanting a side of some sort, Mr. Meer keeps making it as a solo dish.

We also differ in that I don’t understand meatloaf. He does not understand why I don’t understand meatloaf. I figure why not just make a burger?

Ha, now I’m listening in to the live stream and just heard “Is a donut a meal?”

4 Likes

They like the sprinkler and love water so that is not an effective option for them. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Found this at https://www.alleycat.org/resources/how-to-live-with-cats-in-your-neighborhood/
Put out fragrances that keep cats away.* Scatter fresh orange or lemon peels. Wet coffee grounds—which you may be able to get for free from coffee houses and fast food chains—and metal pans filled with vinegar also deter cats.

2 Likes

Hm, can you get some sort of citrus scent in your squirt bottle? Lemon juice, maybe?

1 Like

I already put coffee grounds out in my gardens daily.

Maybe I will try the vinegar.

@rural - I can try lemon juice with water to try to squirt them? Will see how that goes too.

2 Likes

Without any salad, veggies or chips or anything? Probably not a “meal” in my mind.

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner is chips. If chips is a meal chicken Parm is. Fight me.

9 Likes

My breakfast was weetbix with vegemite and butter, I wouldnt consider it a “meal” but I consider it an acceptable breakfast.
Same with chips or a parmy both acceptable dinners, not meals though

Though I am not sure what my brain considers the difference between meal and acceptable dinner. Maybe meal needs at least two parts?

6 Likes

To me meatloaf is an excuse to put cheese in the middle.

1 Like

I don’t think I would spray them with lemon juice water as it could get in their eyes. But spraying the porch or other areas they like to hang out in. You might also try this from https://housekeeping.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-homemade-cat-repellent-home-remedies-for-repelling-cats-0154943/

Since cats have superior smelling abilities, they are extremely sensitive to scent based cat repellents. As I mentioned above, you can make a really simple homemade remedy out of essential oils. I recommend using peppermint oil for repelling cats outdoors. Just mix 3 parts water to 1 part oil into a spray bottle and apply to necessary areas. You will need to reapply the solution as it wears down from the outside conditions.

2 Likes