Random Questions

Bad words may be necessary but are not sufficient, as I’ve already used some.

Might try the soapy rag first and escalate as needed.

3 Likes

Also check if your hotel has airport shuttle service (and the hours it runs).

1 Like

This is where the Very Expensive Kibble has an advantage - it’s less dayglo orange when it comes back up.

3 Likes

Yeah, hers is sort of In Between pricewise, but is not orange. Which is just as well as it’s the only thing she’ll eat. Cat won’t even eat canned tuna. She’s a mutant alien kitty.

3 Likes

@rural I think we need some pictures of Kitty, I usually think of puppies at your household.

The puppies are bigger personalities, that’s for sure. She’s 15 and sleeps much of the day. But here are some pics of Old Lady Kitty (links to Share your Pets)

And one of everyone piled into Mom’s lap all at once:

17 Likes

Is your (term) life insurance monthly payment locked in when you apply or can they increase it as you age/if you get diagnosed with something new? The FAQs at this place don’t mention this so I’m either way too paranoid or they’re hiding something.

1 Like

Are you talking about an application in progress or a contract in force?
For an application - the projected premium is subject to change depending on approval rating after medical underwriting.

Do you have an annually renewable term, because I believe this is the one where new health information can affect the contract. Term premiums can be level (locked in) or graded (the premium will fluctuate to keep up with interest rates and keep you at a set death benefit OR the premium could remain the same, but over time the death benefit slowly decreases)

2 Likes

I have no idea what the answers to those questions are so thank you for giving me the vocabulary to ask them!

It’s through Ladder if anyone has specific experience with them.

1 Like

No problem! I have a life insurance license but not in your state. I just work in admin so day to day don’t think to hard about the structures beyond the boxes I have to check off. If you want to share I’d love to see what product they’re showing you and how they’re trying to make the sale (if you’re working with a person as opposed to a fully algorithmic thing)

1 Like

Ladder’s website looks interesting. I don’t know the insurer but they don’t require medicals under 3 million, so the premium information you’re being quoted right now should be really close to what the actual premium payments will be unless maybe you’ve been in some major car accidents (they look this up). Once you get an insurance offer (issued policy, the contract they will present for signature) the premium information will all be explicitly laid out, probably in the first few pages of the contract. If there is a graded structure there will be “outlays” for what that looks like for all years the contract is in force, or disclaimers about non guaranteed values.

1 Like

People with allergies! What OTC would you recommend? My main thing is nasal drip and coughing and I’m really starting to think it’s allergies-- want to try something just to see if it works, and then react accordingly with a better long term plan. Thanks!

Friendly reminder, this is all my problem btw but since I’m in the weeds rn already: I am not looking for medical horror stories of what else it could be, terrifying anecdotes, grave warnings, or additional medical advice of who I need to see immediately, etc. LOL, just covering my bases bc I love y’all but I know y’all. :laughing: Just looking for the name of some OTC allergy meds today. Thaaaaanks!

14 Likes

Not an allergy person (mostly) myself, but a friend basically allergic to the outdoors takes generic claritin (I think the active ingredient is loratadine–costco sells bottles that amount to a yearly supply for ~$15) daily and it generally works well for him although he steps it up to generic benadryl when things get bad.

4 Likes

I use a combo Flonase nasal spray + Claritin off brand pill, and it helps. I’d start with the Claritin because that’s plenty for many people. Do you have asthma? I also take an asthma med that helps with allergies, brand name is Singulair.

6 Likes

Thank you both! @Bernadette I do not have asthma. I think I’ll try Claritin! <3 You’re both tops.

4 Likes

Meds work differently for different people. I’d start by trying any of the 3 main generic OTC drugs (Claritin, Allegra, or Zyrtec). Give them at least a month (unless of course you have a bad reaction) to judge effectiveness. If none of them do the trick but one at least helps some, try doing that plus Flonase.

There’s also a non-generic OTC some really like, called Xyzal (spelling?).

For the 3 generics, places like Costco or Sam’s usually have a year supply for like $10-15

3 Likes

I am using Benadryl right now. I have had very low grade reactions (mild postnatal drip, slight runny nose) for years, but just this week I had a much stronger reaction (lots of sneezing, itchy / watery eyes, and sinuses feeling like I was eating wasabi). Benadryl is working to mitigate all these symptoms. I get generic Benadryl at Costco, big bottle is about $5. Spouse has more severe allergy reactions, and has felt that after using one med it can stop working as well, and that rotating to a new med can help.

2 Likes

I’ve used them all over the years and I like generic Zyrtec the best. But ymmv, good to try another one if the first one you choose doesn’t work. Benadryl makes me very sleepy! I actually use it to fall asleep occasionally when I have a long run of poor sleep and start getting all up in my head about it.

5 Likes

I use the generic 10 mg Loratadine tablets, 24 hr non-drowsy style. I did indeed buy a bottle of 365 tablets at Costco last year, haha. They usually work really well for me all spring/summer. I had to add a nasal spray for a week or two last year when my allergies got more terrible than usual, but I don’t remember what brand it is at all.

Honestly this is the first non-drowsy allergy med I tried and it worked, so I just stuck with it. I don’t have any comparison to other formulations.

4 Likes

24h Claritin worked really well for me but I was a little meh about possible systemic effects over time so I switched to nasal spray and it worked just as well and is a little easier to take day of rather than have it build up for a day or two before it starts working.

3 Likes