Random Questions

Should I try to convince my wife not to fly to visit her parents tomorrow? Both of them are in poor health (late 60s one, 70 the other).

Edit: I should add there are a small handful of cases in my state (WI) and she would be flying to a major hub airport (BWI).

1 Like

Circling back to a different topic, @AllHat I remembered to download this neat pic my wife took of our oil lamp a while back to give you an idea of the effect.

3 Likes

There are so many factors…generally I’d assume your wife and her parents have considered them.

For example, if they are going to die this year, do they want to see her first? Is she particularly risky as a disease vector? Has your public health department suggested social distancing in your town or her town? Is your wife generally better or worse at hand hygiene than smackys kid?

4 Likes

They’re not imminent death as far as we know, my wife has chronic sinus stuff that crops up now and then I keep asking her to get checked out but otherwise normally healthy. She has excellent hygiene, used to train her entire company (food industry) on hygiene practices and regular audits practices as part of her current positions

My dad has a pretty severe autoimmune disease that has landed him in the hospital too many times over the course of his life. He’s 70. My parents live 6 miles from me. I’m forgoing any visits for the time being. I may wind up delivering groceries to them though because I don’t really want them going anywhere.

I’ve been pondering the climbing gym (which feels like a damn petri dish on good days) and I think I’m going to stop going for at least a few weeks to see how this all plays out.

I feel like we need a COVID-19 specific thread to discuss these things…

6 Likes

Started a new thread:

1 Like

My phone bit the big one. I need a smartphone for work (two factor auth + calling in to meetings). Recommendations?

Desire: Reliable. Works on Verizon. A decent camera would be awesome. I prefer Android to iPhone but am not puritanical about it. I would like to not spend fifty jillion dollars.

ETA: We may have gotten it to work. I should probably still get phone recs, this one is 4 years old and starting to be tempermental.

3 Likes

I have personally had the best luck with longevity of Apple devices. My current strategy is to use the phone as long as possible and then buy the cheapest model currently sold new. My current phone is a 7, bought when it was down to either $400 or $500 new (unlocked).

I also like that all Apple phones are reasonably waterproof now. Not sure how common that is on the Android side yet.

Edit: Apple also tends to do software updates and especially security patches much, much longer than Android devices are supported for.

1 Like

I find that Apple devices either last a year or ten years. I have a 2007 MacBook that still functions (slowly, but it functions), though it’s on its fourth charger.

Waterproof is not a worry for me so much, or security updates. It’s pretty dry here and I’m careful with my phones, and I also don’t do banking or really anything that requires real security over the phone (like, if it weren’t for work requiring me to have this MFA app, I’d be considering another dumbphone right now!).

1 Like

Depending on what other folks say here, I always find benefit in reading guides from The Wirecutter when considering a purchase.

2 Likes

IDK about verizon compatibility but the OnePlus 7T is supposed to be good and it’s pretty inexpensive. It has decent cameras too.

I really like my pixel and the 3a is super reasonably priced, but again I’m not sure on Verizon-ness.

If those don’t work I’d go refurbed galaxy!

I (also on Verizon) have the Moto G6 and like it a lot; anything in the G series typically gets good reviews compared to the price, you can look into older or newer models depending on whether you want to buy refurbished or new.

2 Likes

My carrier isn’t Verizon but my favorite phone ever was a Moto G6. I’d have another if my carrier still offered them. Kiddo has my old Moto G7 and I now have a Pixel 3a and have liked them all.

2 Likes

Glad I asked my random question, because phone has officially bit the big one for sure.

Thanks for the recs and I’ll keep a special eye out for these!

4 Likes

I’m visiting Elle, where it turns out that cars are much much cheaper. My car is scarily bad and I am terrified when I operate it.

Should I buy a car and drive it home? Given my medical shit that will take 4+ days.

But I will save many thousands of dollars.

12 Likes

Think of it in terms of dollars per day, calculate fuel cost of driving the mileage as well, and decide if it is worth it?

We learned just yesterday one of our cars is not worth repairing, and not only that, but like “yeah I wouldn’t drive this anymore, like not even a few days more” so I’m researching cars too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What would be the short and medium term health impacts? How do you measure those financially?

1 Like

If they’re advising against travel that might sway my decision.

3 Likes

I think 4+ days is a long time to be driving alone. Just pay more for a car in your city. Your safety and health are worth it.

4 Likes

What about paying to have the car transported? I know it’s done, no idea what the cost is.

1 Like