Random Questions

I have personally had the best luck with longevity of Apple devices. My current strategy is to use the phone as long as possible and then buy the cheapest model currently sold new. My current phone is a 7, bought when it was down to either $400 or $500 new (unlocked).

I also like that all Apple phones are reasonably waterproof now. Not sure how common that is on the Android side yet.

Edit: Apple also tends to do software updates and especially security patches much, much longer than Android devices are supported for.

1 Like

I find that Apple devices either last a year or ten years. I have a 2007 MacBook that still functions (slowly, but it functions), though it’s on its fourth charger.

Waterproof is not a worry for me so much, or security updates. It’s pretty dry here and I’m careful with my phones, and I also don’t do banking or really anything that requires real security over the phone (like, if it weren’t for work requiring me to have this MFA app, I’d be considering another dumbphone right now!).

1 Like

Depending on what other folks say here, I always find benefit in reading guides from The Wirecutter when considering a purchase.

2 Likes

IDK about verizon compatibility but the OnePlus 7T is supposed to be good and it’s pretty inexpensive. It has decent cameras too.

I really like my pixel and the 3a is super reasonably priced, but again I’m not sure on Verizon-ness.

If those don’t work I’d go refurbed galaxy!

I (also on Verizon) have the Moto G6 and like it a lot; anything in the G series typically gets good reviews compared to the price, you can look into older or newer models depending on whether you want to buy refurbished or new.

2 Likes

My carrier isn’t Verizon but my favorite phone ever was a Moto G6. I’d have another if my carrier still offered them. Kiddo has my old Moto G7 and I now have a Pixel 3a and have liked them all.

2 Likes

Glad I asked my random question, because phone has officially bit the big one for sure.

Thanks for the recs and I’ll keep a special eye out for these!

4 Likes

I’m visiting Elle, where it turns out that cars are much much cheaper. My car is scarily bad and I am terrified when I operate it.

Should I buy a car and drive it home? Given my medical shit that will take 4+ days.

But I will save many thousands of dollars.

12 Likes

Think of it in terms of dollars per day, calculate fuel cost of driving the mileage as well, and decide if it is worth it?

We learned just yesterday one of our cars is not worth repairing, and not only that, but like “yeah I wouldn’t drive this anymore, like not even a few days more” so I’m researching cars too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What would be the short and medium term health impacts? How do you measure those financially?

1 Like

If they’re advising against travel that might sway my decision.

3 Likes

I think 4+ days is a long time to be driving alone. Just pay more for a car in your city. Your safety and health are worth it.

4 Likes

What about paying to have the car transported? I know it’s done, no idea what the cost is.

1 Like

My flight isn’t being cancelled, looks like. I will fly home and not make impulsive car choices. I don’t really want to drive.

7 Likes

Should I take a nap? It’s currently 4:55PM where I am. Thanks for your input in this trying time.

8 Likes

Yes, take a nap. We need to be well rested and clear headed.

3 Likes

Are you tired? Then nap.

Can I put like A LOT of stamps on an 8x10 envelope that’s about book thickness and it’ll go out in a usps blue box?

I’m collecting forwarded mail for my friend who recently moved but doesn’t have a permanent address so I really don’t wanna go inside the post office.

Or like stamps dot com or shipstation or something?

1 Like

You can use the usps website to determine the proper amount of postage, if you know size and weight of the envelope

1 Like

I guess you’re right. Hopefully it’s under 5lbs as I think that’s all the blue boxes will accept. Hoping I can do certified or signature mail that way.

1 Like