Random questions, postpartum edition

Thankfully we had our 1 month pediatrician appointment this morning and they agreed with what many of you suspected—letdown might be too strong for Ravi so he was adjusting the latch to compensate. We tried out a reclining position I hadn’t used since the hospital and that seemed to really help! I do wonder if I have to do a reclining position from this point on? Or if I’d be able to use cradle/cross cradle again in the future?

4 Likes

I actually just came on to suggest a reclining position! It has been really helpful for us. It also helped my upper back pain.

3 Likes

Latte got much better at handling the firehose as she got older. Also side lying worked really well for us. (And yes, reclined for sure!!)

4 Likes

I’m gonna try that one today so I have a few practiced before bed.

4 Likes

I found side lying kind of tricky to get the hang of, but so so worth it. That’s still how I nurse my 1.5 yo now, and it’s so much comfier than wrangling her into position.

5 Likes

Fellow pumpers! How do I have good posture while pumping? Perhaps this is due to nipple location, but when I pump, the flanges tilt upwards, so I feel the need to hunch so the milk flows down to the bottle. What am I doing wrong?

2 Likes

Assuming you have a hands free pumping bra and you’ve already tried tightening it? Is the issue that the milk runs out around the flange then and spills on you? Have you tried adding a little coconut oil (assuming no baby allergy) to the inside of the flange? It adds a little bit of a leak barrier. If you’re low breast tissue though I’m not sure.

1 Like

I actually don’t have a pumping bra yet, I’ve been doing a hack with my nursing bras til I figure out which one to buy

Honestly, I always leaned forward while pumping. It didn’t cause any issues, but I also never tried pumping while feeding at the same time (not sure if you are).

2 Likes

Right now I’m pumping after nursing. I feel like I would need six more hands to pump and nurse at once lol. I’m not very elegant :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That would be my first step then! I liked my simple wishes one- it wouldn’t have been nice for in office pumping since I had to fully replace my top (versus wear it as a bra full time) but it was also only like $25

2 Likes

If you’re pumping more than a couple times a week I’d definitely recommend a pumping bra. It is really a game changer and gives you much more flexibility in posture. (Take it from someone who developed back problems from too much sitting in weird positions postpartum.)

Medela is the classic, for good reasons. It is super sturdy and holds everything in the right place. Annoyingly, you have to change into/out of it at the start of a pumping session.

Motherfigure’s multitasking bra is a great timesaver; you can wear it all day and then just shift some fabric around to pump or nurse mode, but it doesn’t seem to be in stock.

3 Likes

Thank you!!

Medela is good for a Medela pump or another that the back of the flange can go through the openings, but check your brand to make sure it is compatible. It was a costly mistake until I could get back to the store of origin for a return.

The Lansinoh one is more compatible with multiple brands.

2 Likes

I did a quick search and turned up nothing… but basically Ihave had the flu for 2 weeks, lots of fever and dehydration, morethan 10lb lost. My supplyisn’t keeping up. Freezer stash is almost out and formula is aquired.

So does anyone have anecdotes or info in if my supply will just jump back up, or if I will need a plan?

4 Likes

Texting 2 friends this has happened to for data points. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

My supply tanked for a few days when we had covid, i don’t think i feed at all for 24hrs at one point. My supply name back, but my baby was r than a year so it would have sucked but i wouldn’t have worked - under a year i probably would have a ton of formula on hand in case supply didn’t bounce back fast enough/ didn’t bounce high enough

1 Like

Mom of 3 friend. They move a lot for work internationally so they’re often sick with rough and novel stuff. This was her answer.

ETA answers showed up backwards

ETA one more

6 Likes

I hadn’t heard of Raynauds before the lactation clinician asked me about the slight white discoloration my nipples experience during breastfeeding. I think I have a touch of it, because my toes are always white and cold. I thought that was normal bad circulation. Wondering if this APNO treatment is going to be useless…

3 Likes

I probably have it- with number one nipple shields and cushioning nipples between feeds was the answer

2 Likes