Random questions, postpartum edition

How do I know if scar mobilization is working?

And when do I figure that if my feet haven’t gone back, they are just this size now?

2 Likes

Feet; not until you’ve been weaned for a few months was my experience.

Scar: if it becomes easier and you get less nerve pain we’re signs of progress for me.

2 Likes

Same. This kid is like 17 months and I still have a pair of shoes I’m hanging onto because of how it went last time. I did eventually get back into them last time but some people don’t, so I’m not counting on it.

4 Likes

Whelp, I have to stop using scar sheets for now because my yeast is back at the incision site :frowning: . This time they prescribed nystatin POWDER- doc says she was talking with a friend in wound care recently who mentioned powders being better for skin folds because they help it stay dry.

So I am using the medicated powder until it clears up and then I’d like to try the scar sheets again, but maybe I will limit to 12 hours a day. At other times I thought I might try tea tree oil lotion (I make my own- fragrance free baby lotion with tea tree oil mixed it) and/or my Megababe powder lotion as preventatives. Does anyone have any other suggestions for preventing regrowth? I really hate it. It gives me body sads.

3 Likes

How long do I work on my incision for? (I’m on another break for yeast infection #1- I think it must be the scar sheets? But when I get back to it.) Like, when do I just figure that the scar is what it is?

For mobility and sensitivity work? Or scar sheets for appearance?

1 Like

Mobility, preventing adhesions. I’m giving up on the sheets - they seem to be causing infection.

2 Likes

I found a random website lol.

“ Develop a routine that feels comfortable for you. Once you are ready to start in the first few weeks after the birth, begin with 5 minutes daily until your tissues are freely moving in all directions with all three layers. This may take a few weeks or longer- everyone is different. Then reduce to a weekly massage, notice any stiff or tight areas, and work with them. Then you may want to massage the area every so often. The week after your period finishes is a good time, as you won’t have any additional tenderness or irritation. This massage routine is good to do monthly to 6-weekly, up until the 2-year mark from birth. If you find the tissues getting tight again, slip back into a more regular weekly massaging pattern.”

That seems as good advice as anything else :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: but god knows their evidence base. They certainly seem to be selling stuff so buyer beware. C-section Scar Massage: A Step-by-step Guide – My Expert Midwife

But tbh I still will do it probably once a month or so (3 years PP) when I think about it to make sure it all still moves freely.

Stuff I’m seeing says full tissue healing by 12 weeks so I’d guess you can taper off after 12 weeks if everything is moving happily and smoothly?

3 Likes

The first 12 weeks are most important, but after 12 weeks you cab do deeper work. Healing is slower at this point so you can do less or mone. If you notice an issue in the future You can work on it, or see someone, or i can talk you through some techniques.

3 Likes

ETA i would do none if it wete me

1 Like

Here in the real world :laughing:. I’ve never had a problem with my scar before, it seems to move freely and I’m past 12 weeks, so I’ll probably leave it alone unless I feel like messing with it in the bathtub or whatever. Hopefully I did enough - I missed some of the healing time dealing with the yeast. Blech.

2 Likes

I have done remediation work on c section scars that were like 20 years old. And it still helped!

And doing some coursework we accidentally addressed my 24? Year old appendectomy scar and I didn’t know until then that it could be better.

We can deal with stuff when we have time.

2 Likes

My teething baby has me crying and bleeding :frowning: . Can anyone remember how long this lasts?

3 Likes

Um, i think pumpkins teeth all took about a fortnight to make it through from start to finish. But also felt like she was trying nonstop until 16mo.

Suddenly Raviolis latch feels wrong, like he’s adjusting it mid-feed and it’s off, maybe too shallow?and I’m not sure he’s getting anything? He’s also popping on and off altogether. I guess I go see the LC again?

4 Likes

One feed or all day? He’s not too young for teeth.

But yeah I’d go see the lactation again if it’s happening more than once a day.

2 Likes

Also OW i hate it when this happens i find it so painful.

2 Likes

Definitely a good idea.

Since it can take a bit for letdown to happen, any chance this is related to forceful letdown? It’s pretty common for them to move to a shallow latch to try not to get fire hosed. I found different positions to be key for that.

2 Likes

Definitely LC again but it’s a good time to go back to basics. Make sure you’re sitting in a proper position with Ravioli parallel to the floor etc. I know I started getting lazy with positioning after nursing clicked.

3 Likes

Gonna call the LC but in the meantime I tried the nipple shield again and that time he wasn’t bucking around and pulling on my nipple which helped a lot. I think he drank a lot more. I could hear him swallow which assuaged some of my worries that he’s hungry

5 Likes