Random Questions, Parenting Edition

The only mainstream/common ones that are right out for me are the flashy shoes, since they need a massive heel to fit the lights, and the athletic shoes with narrow toes. And the “cute” girl shoes that have a small heel like are common on boots. As others have noted, most of the “normal” brands like cat and Jack and stride rite and stuff are plenty good. Some of the carters ones can have super narrow toes I guess, I had to reject a pair of those my mom gifted. I’m not die hard minimalist shoe or anything, but I definitely try for “zero drop” (flat across the shoe, no elevated heel) and a wide enough toe box she can still spread her toes out as she runs.

The less time a kid spends in a shoe, the less it matters. IE, if I get a hand me down snow boot that has a lifted heel, I’m not gonna stress- it’s not worth like $60 to avoid that when she’ll wear them a couple days total in her life lol. I’m more picky on her “wear them every single day, esp while active” shoes. Since that’s the most time and most forces on her feet while wearing them.

And honestly, hot take? A lot of families who think about feet don’t think about the rest of the kid. A kid can move more freely in narrow Nikes but with clothing they can move freely in, than fancy minimalist shoes but super stiff denim or giant ruffles they can’t easily move their body while wearing. And step back from THAT, what their bodies are wearing means even less if you’re the sort of parent to discourage your kid from moving/climbing/exploring. Like so much else, marketing wants us to throw money first at something that we should probably just be mindful about with our actions instead. That’s definitely getting on a tangent, but I hope what I’m trying to express is coming across lol. Often times we need to think way less about our products and way more about our ideologies and behaviors.

3 Likes

Thanks all, I will continue to not stress about shoes. :grin:

@Bracken_Joy @Economista I’d love to know what kives you have for your kids that don’t cut them but let them chop veggies?

2 Likes

Oh yes! Sorry, I’ve got a couple.

This is a good deal on a set similar to what we have. She uses the wavy chop and the nylon knife.

4 Pcs Kids Knife Set, Kids Safe Cooking Knives, Nylon Kids Kitchen Knife with Crinkle Cutter, Serrated Edges Plastic Toddler Knife Kids Knives for Real Cooking & Cutting Fruit, Bread, Lettuce https://a.co/d/7Ao64yi

1 Like

This is probably the one she’ll graduate to next.
Kids Knifes for Real Cooking | Kids Knife Set for Kids Cooking, Kid Safe Knives, Kid Friendly Knives for Kid Knives for Cutting Kids Kitchen Knives https://a.co/d/fwYDrkm

1 Like

Here’s the set we have, very similar to BrackenJoy Jovitec 8 Pieces Kid Plastic… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HSWJHXT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like

We use this one

1 Like

In case someone has already researched this - kids don’t really need a multivitamin right? Assuming a pediatrician hasn’t advised anything of course. But does anyone have advice on kid-friendly supplements on an as-needed, like Kiddo has a mild cold right now so we’re doing Emergen-C packets to make a fizzy orange drink because I’m hoping it’ll make the cold go away sooner. I did do parsley tea but am now out of parsley. I don’t want to go too far down the rabbit hole, I’m just trying to get a general “this might be good” or “this is nonsense and does nothing” feel for things.

3 Likes

Vitamin D might be a good idea, depending on time outside, how far north you live, etc- you can ask your ped. Some sources recommend a multivitamin for extremely selective eaters- if it’ll give you peace of mind about picky eating then it can be useful (iirc this doesn’t apply to you but figured I’d mention it). Ummm there’s some data probiotics can be beneficial, esp if there’s actual GI concerns like constipation.

The only thing I know actually well studied for reducing cold duration is using zinc early in the cold (like zicam melt things) but I don’t think those are safe for kids. Some studies about elderberry reducing viral severity, but some debate on study quality, and again I think younger kids aren’t supposed to use it.

Mostly, my understand is that for colds the biggest thing you can do with kids is to schedule in plenty of opportunities for good quality sleep. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I did research the emergen-c thing because my first thought was to give it to the girls too, diluted down. Then I read that there is enough vitamin C in those to actually make a young kid overdose on vitamin c. So I didn’t. My pediatrician had us start giving B a multivitamin with iron when she turned 2. She mentions it every time we talk to her, so she feels very strongly that it’s a good thing to do.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, iron is a good idea for either family diet or kid selected foods that are low in iron consistently. Although some peds prefer to check iron levels and recommend based on that because of the constipation risks.

3 Likes

Yeah. I mean, we eat a high iron diet and B’s iron is still always low. But L’s is always fine. They eat the same thing. The doctor said it wouldn’t hurt to give L the same multivitamin. Does the level of iron in that really lead to constipation? B get a super high iron supplement in addition to the multi and that one can definitely cause it, but it’s also like 10x what’s in the multi.

1 Like

Nope! And I have seen some interesting stuff recently about oversupplementing might not be as benign as previously thought. Here vitamin D is a blanket recommendation from birth. Our ND will sometimes want him on C or Bs like when we have been being sick a lot, and everyone wanted both kids on probiotics because we did heavy antibiotics

4 Likes

Help! B is begging to watch something on tv and I cannot figure out what she is saying. It sounds like “sicky dicky”. She has said it 100x and she is getting really frustrated with me. But I can’t figure out what it is! I pulled up the home screen on Disney and asked her if she could see it and she said no, it’s hiding.

Could it be a specific episode of something?

“Sticky Gecko” is a Bluey episode?

2 Likes

Yeah what shows or YouTube channels does she watch? Maybe we could try to narrow it down.

Maybe this. She watches bluey, peppa pig, and Daniel Tiger. That’s it.

I asked and clear as day she said “no. Cinderella” they were watching Cinderella. So I’m guessing it’s in one of the songs that they had already seen? Bippity boppity boo was on when she started insisting upon it.

1 Like

Jiminy Cricket?

2 Likes

In the bath tonight she asked me to sing “sicky dicky” I figured it must be a song from the beginning of the movie. I played snippets until she finally said “yes! This one” The Work Song (from Cinderella) - YouTube

Sicky dicky must be “cinderelly”

8 Likes