Random Questions, Parenting Edition

Okay then this was me too - morning sickness basically the whole time. My midwife said to just take the drugs the whole time and as soon as I gave birth i felt better.

Also - because I was asking everyone this the whole time, it was totally worth it even though I was miserable the whole pregnancy.

5 Likes

Would I be totally nuts to try weaning off pacifiers the same weekend DST starts?

3 Likes

I can definitely see a “it’s all going to hell anyway” rationale!

3 Likes

You can report back to us,! Forr science!

1 Like

You know when you’re breastfeeding and your nipples get reshaped and stay that way for a while after? Does that ever not hurt?

3 Likes

It stops hurting, yes

ETA for me anyway

Shape stayed the same

3 Likes

It stops hurting and also the baby stops deforming them so much. However, if your nipples are blanched after they unlatch, talk to an LC because that can be a sign of a latch problem.

Also if you haven’t run across the hydrogel nipple soothing gel pads, I can not recommend them enough to get you through.

3 Likes

It legit came out not just bulletized but angled up like his pacifier this time :sweat_smile::rofl::sob:. I probably should have toughened myself up with some clamps or something in the past 16 years.

I’m delighted to hear pain will reduce, and I will research these hydrogel things in my area

3 Likes

Oh, yeah, those shapes didn’t stay the same :laughing:

Just the general nursed-a-baby shape

1 Like

They’re even better if you keep them in the fridge :+1:

3 Likes

I had no idea these existed until last week and I am so excited that they exist.

5 Likes

A friend of mine had this problem, she found relief switching her baby from an orthodontic pacifier shape to one of the “natural” shapes, like the soothies or the back to nature by Tommee tippee. May not work depending on baby’s likes, but it could be worth a try!! FWIW latte prefers the natural shape ones but they harder for her to keep sucked in, YMMV.

2 Likes

The question - WWYD?

The situation - When I went to pick up my 4.5 year old from day care yesterday he was out on the playground. The teachers were sitting at the picnic table near the building and knew which play structure he was on but didn’t have direct line of sight (totally normal, half the class was near the picnic tables as various kids wandered back and forth). As I walked over I could tell there was another kid next to him then saw the other kid, a little girl, give him a little shove. He immediately started soccer-crying, I’m not sure he even knew I was there yet but he might have. The girl immediately said he had pinched her, he denied it, and I was like (in my head) well fuck. Out loud I said we all need to use nice hands when playing with our friends. Apparently they had a disagreement about who was allowed to play on that “castle”, he had told her to go play somewhere else, she thought that was bullshit, I also thought that was bullshit and told him she was allowed to play here and he’s going home anyway. Really I just wanted to grab him and go because we had somewhere to be shortly.

I did right, right? Should I have told her/them to talk to the teacher? They’re supposed to be figuring out socializing stuff in preschool right? I feel awkward when it comes to more than one kid at a time (only child parenting an only child). :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

I feel like I would have done about the same. Since you didn’t know if what either of them was saying was true, it feels like the best thing was what you did - reinforce that everyone needs to be treated with kindness. That lesson always applies I think.

4 Likes

Yeah I probably would have handled it the same.

1 Like

Same. If I was another parent observing I probably would’ve given you a high five on your way out

2 Likes

As a child of many, yes, you did good. There really truly is no point trying to get to the bottom of “who did what first” in that scenario and this:

4 Likes

Okay good. I wasn’t sure if I should’ve directed them to a teacher but the teacher would’ve been in the same situation plus might’ve felt on the spot since I (Parent Type Person) was standing right there. Also today at pick up I talked to today’s teachers (different from yesterday) and the little girl was still going on about “[Kiddo] pinched me!” like it had just happened so teacher and I were able to get on the same page.

5 Likes

I’d have done the same unless I specifically saw one kid harming the other. You’ll never get anywhere if you start investigating who was right or wrong. I have 5 siblings and sometimes I found it unfair that my parents never reprimanded my siblings when they were so clearly wrong. We all got the same line ‘be kind to your sister/brother’ and I found it annoying. But we turned out okay and resolved our own conflicts. Now we find it funny and recall that the rare times our parents punished just one of us, it was never the one who ‘was wrong’. One of my brother was particularly rowdy and liked fighting so we suffered some; but it prepared us to face other challenging kids at school.

2 Likes

There will be no science this weekend, alas. Kiddo is too sick for us to be willing to inflict the additional cruelty of taking away his pacifier. :sneezing_face:

4 Likes