Random Questions, Parenting Edition

Oooh yes minimal furniture life was some thing I was predisposed to, but Latte has made it a Whole Thing. Life is better when I don’t expect any of us to sit down unless it’s on a floor or in a weird position on a hammock swing or something.

6 Likes

:heart::heart::heart: You don’t need to read books to be a good parent! You’re already amazing :slight_smile:

I started reading them mostly because there were confusing things going on with Meowlet sooner than most parents encounter for neurotypical kids lol.

8 Likes

:100: when things are tricky I read the books. Why bother for the easyish stuff!

8 Likes

I read them largely because I always knew I wanted to do something different than my family did… but the “what” and even more so “how” was still pretty nebulous lol.

7 Likes

Hello! I am not a musician. But I think my son would love learning more about musical notation. How can I teach him sheet music and how it relates to the notes? I can google and investigate but appreciate hive mind responses. Ccing some forum musicians! @meowmalade @iualia @Panda

4 Likes

I got this for our keyboard (it would work for any small keyboard or xylophone as well). It was the only one I could find that had the color coded notes on a staff.

The “classic” piano beginner books are the bastien series and they go into notation and rhythms too. (ETA that “primer” is the beginner level in that series)

1 Like

Some other things you can do are make or buy rhythm flashcards, start with quarter notes and eighth notes, add in quarter rests etc.

A lot of music teachers have spoken poems and rhymes that go with specific rhythms that makes it more “fun” than learning and I’m sure that’s available on YouTube somewhere!

There are also books and worksheets that have notes on staffs with boxes underneath to fill in the note to practice notation reading. Meowlet might enjoy that because it’s kind of like decoding, but I had to do one every week for piano lessons and it definitely ft like homework!

3 Likes

All of the resources I know about are tied to particular instruments, like the Faber Adventures series for young pianists. Those could still be useful, but sorry to not have a ton of other ideas!

1 Like

Spore has really clicked with the Prodigies music videos (no particular instrument needed) which teach rhythm, solfege, and eventually sheet music notation. They’re by a former music teacher with a friendly, goofy personality. My mom got a subscription for him, but there are a few available for free to try it out.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t help with resources, I had lessons!

1 Like

Holy shitt

7 Likes

@Economista and I both do this I think! It’s great cuz Latte has been in the same size for 2 years lol so she’s worn a lot out.

8 Likes

Yes, I do it!! So many pants returned with holes.

4 Likes

If the cuckoo is turning 2 in late July, do I need to buy summer clothes in both 2T and 3T or just one or the other? What size bathing suits should I buy for right around her birthday?

She is pretty tall and pretty skinny.

3 Likes

3T pants are still a bit too long on my tall just turned two year old, and sometimes the waist of pants/shorts too loose still. Everything else seems to be fine in 3T for her

1 Like

If they’re borderline I prefer to round up. Less money and less work to switch out everything in the closet, when there’s already so much inventory management. You can always cuff the sleeves, pant legs, etc. as long as the pant or shorts waist stays up.

4 Likes

I’d do 3T shirts and maybe dresses. 2T shorts.

B2 wears mainly 3T shirts and looks cute, but 25m and 2T are the right fit. He’s wearing the 4Ts as tunics for potty training. None of the shorts I got him for vacation fit (he has 2T old navy pyjamas, 12-18 and 6-12 shorts fell off him and fit B1). I just got him 2Tpyjama shorts and 18m girls legging shorts to see if those fit.

Also I am not opposed to a capri pant if some of her current pants fit in the waste but are getting short. If 3T pants can be cuffed I’d do those.

But it really depends on her growth. B1 basically shot through 2T and all sizes below that. Then stayed 3T for a year. B2 has been 8.8kg and 18m clothes for a year, and suddenly those are crops and capris. I also am happy to have them in clothes that are baggy and long when they start wearing them

2 Likes

How do I actually see what my kids have downloaded on their Amazon Kids tablet or Kindle?

I feel like I used to know how to find it on my Amazon account somewhere, but now everything leads me back to the entire Amazon Kids + content library, or to the “add content” tab that lets me purchase books through regular Amazon.

3 Likes

Came here because the Emily Oster blog just recommended Techno Sapiens on a post on screentime. I’ve signed up for free version but will be comped a paid preview if people sign up thru my link: Techno Sapiens | Jacqueline Nesi, PhD | Substack

If you’re interested, give it a whirl!

Anyone else’s kids have Yoto Minis? Get a free replacement cable to make sure the battery doesn’t overheat.

4 Likes