Random Questions, Parenting Edition

I remember hanging out a friend’s house and sitting next to the tv so that I could just nudge the volume dial down a bit (that was about 13 years ago but man has technology changed, there is no dial any longer)

4 Likes

My husband and I both struggle to talk when we visit my parents. They blast sports 24/7 so loud my dad was unaware their house is under a military drill flight path. My husband and I will both just get side tracked mid sentence and forget what we were saying. Luckily we’re on the same page with sound sensitivity. Our eldest is too, but unfortunately it doesn’t apply to noises she makes or enjoys :joy:

9 Likes

Oh wow, we just turned on a Cocomelon nursery rhymes video and DS is enthralled! It might just be a matter of finding the right toddler friendly content now…

3 Likes

After observing DS start to fall asleep while watching Cocomelon, I think he only watched it bc he’s sick.

3 Likes

Somewhere around 2, but like @Star said only specific things. Cocomelon is full of terribly saccharine kids songs and they use eye-tracking (!!!) to make it super addictive, but it will definitely captivate a toddler. Daniel Tiger (cartoon remake of Mister Rogers Neighborhood) is a fave of kids and adults alike. He still won’t really sit through full TV episodes or movies.

6 Likes

Apparently around 3.5 they get super into the Marvel Cinematic Universe and insist that they want to watch “Yoki” because you are and it isn’t a bad show or scary even though they don’t even like the wolves in “Christmas Froze” (aka Olaf’s Frozen Adventure). YMMV.

I think around 1.5ish we were still watching the first 20-30min of Moana because it’s all songs and then starting over for the next sitting. Shortly before 2 we got into Bluey and that had some staying power. Bonus, you can decide the amount in 5 min increments buy deciding how many Blueys to watch.

6 Likes

My daughter is almost 7 and is so spacey. As an example, this morning it was snowing and she wanted to play outside. So I sent her to brush her teeth and get dressed so they can go out. She comes back, only brushed teeth. Says she forgot. I told her to wear a shirt and pants so it’s easier to get into her snowsuit. She comes back wearing a dress, says she forgot.

She’s like this every day. Is that normal at this age? Or at least within the bounds of average? She seems intelligent enough and does pretty well at school but just seems to float around in a daze at home. I’ve brought up the idea of ADHD with her teachers and they gave me a blank look like it had never crossed their minds.

7 Likes

Teachers were not helpful with ADHD diagnosis, plus I think they’re restricted from suggesting possible diagnoses? (@noitsbecky does that check out?)

We went the psychiatrist route because we had larger concerns but I think a pediatrician can diagnose and prescribe medication for ADHD.

Our psychiatrist recommended this magazine as a general resource, here’s a link for parents

4 Likes

I didn’t know that about teachers. Understandable, but I guess I was hoping they would tell me normal/abnormal since they know so many more kids than I do! Thanks, I’ll check that magazine out.

3 Likes

My psychologist also likes this website and recommended it to me during my recent diagnosis. So thats another vote for it!

I’m enjoying reading “The Year I Met My Brain” by Matilda Boseley, about finding she has adhd in early adulthood, which includes some insight from her childhood. I haven’t looked into adhd for kids much but this is the website i use for a quick start on most stuff I’m trying to figure out about my kids:
https://raisingchildren.net.au/school-age/development/adhd/adhd?

4 Likes

It’s hard, because honestly 7yos are pretty spacy. “I forgot” often translates as “I don’t want to”…

4 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I’m wondering! I don’t want to needlessly pathologize her, but she’s driving me crazy.

2 Likes

True, teachers cannot suggest that because it’s a medical dignosis and we are not doctors. But I feel like if they thought that, they would encourage you (@Littlebird) to talk to her doctor about it. They’d follow up your question/interest with encouragement to get it looked into because they’d think your kid needed help! It doesn’t sound like this is the case here. But I would still suggest talking to your doctor about it. :slight_smile: It sounds like she holds it together at school where she has to and is more relaxed at home.

7 Likes

We did a diagnostic sheet last year and had Kiddo’s teacher fill one out as well. When the psychiatrist looked at it she was able to point out that our nonstop chatterbox kid wasn’t just being quiet in class, he was actually withdrawing (turns out he also has dyslexia so anything to do with reading was rough.) We knew we weren’t seeing what was going on at school, and the teacher didn’t know what his norm was at home (on top of managing 17 other kids daily) so it was getting missed.

You’re doing the right thing by looking into it now. And professionals can help distinguish between “I don’t want tos” and something else.

7 Likes

That’s good to hear that they would encourage me if they see a problem. They had no concerns when I brought it up, which either means I’m overreacting (very possible) or she’s holding it together at school.

4 Likes

I have often said that I need to record myself saying “Pay attention J2” so that I can just hit the play button. What you are describing is my youngest to a T. But, he can focus when he wants to

I paid for an assessment through his older brother’s psychologist, really just because the Psych knew us and him so well, he was attending her summer camps with his brother.

All the ADHD forms from home showed ADHD - but school did not. She sat me down and said, you can pursue this, but really - you aren’t going to medicate for it. You need the meds at the end of the day when they would be wearing off anyway. We medicate so that they can hold it together through the school day, and he is.

That all said - if you are questioning then it may be worth pursuing an assessment.

5 Likes

How do I make baby stop the chomp and pull maneuver while nursing and WHY

2 Likes

I yelled “ow” really loud and put him down on the ground away from me. Yes he was crying for 1-2 minutes. This only happened two or three times before it stopped.

Watch cats who nurse, they get angry if the babies don’t do it correctly and walk away and try again later.

Maybe I’m cold and heartless but it worked really well for us to help him learn not to bite me.

Also feeding him in an environment for success - quiet and not with distractions. He even has teeth now and does really well with nursing and not biting.

12 Likes

Similar, I made a very loud buzzer sound and pulled him away from the boob. Only took a couple times to train.

6 Likes

I pushed baby’s face INto the boob, otherwise the nipple went with baby and hurts. Into boob they go “aw crap cant breathe” and let go. Then baby lost boob time once they let go.

8 Likes