Random Questions, Parenting Edition

I got it with the newborn seat thing and oh man it’s weirdly amazing to have the baby up higher away from the dog and not in stomping range of toddler, I’ve really liked it!

And the newborn seat can tilt down slightly so it’s like the baby is sitting at the table with us for meal times :smiley:

I’ve only had it for about two months so far though. TBD

4 Likes

Do it! Totally worth it. Around me I’d have to drive half way around town for a second hand TT with no accessories for $150.

Except — what does big sister sit on? We’re in this stage right now that big kid wants exactly what baby has if it’s the least bit desirable. We upgraded big kid to a keekaroo ($40 used, amazing!) so he was okay with baby taking his high chair (Graco blossom, gifted, fine but nothing special). I see a lot of potential for jealousy if baby gets a brand new seat.

We have to share all of baby’s food, so big kid is eating puffs and teething crackers, and even baby oatmeal with peanut butter. :roll_eyes: it’s fine.

5 Likes

Older kid has an Abbie beyond Y, which was initially my plan but doesn’t have any sort of 6-12m seat to help them not be so… blobby as early eaters. We didn’t get Latte’s until she was like 12-14 months ish? Before that we had a fisher price one I actively hate.

Latte is VERY attached to her seat and the seating chart at the table :persevere: so I doubt she’ll be jealous as long as we Comply with Seating.

3 Likes

Where are you seeing the deal?

1 Like

This plus registry completion-
Tripp Trapp High Chair and Cushion with Stokke Tray - Natural with Icon Grey - Adjustable, Convertible, All-in-One High Chair for Babies & Toddlers https://a.co/d/4UB5gQM

1 Like

I am looking to buy one of those toilet seats that has a toddler sized seat as part of it. Does anyone have one they like? @Economista?

2 Likes

We’ve liked this but with the caveat that kiddo had to stop peeing straight forward first. Before that we needed the ikea with the splash shield. Seems to have just been age.

MAYFAIR 1888SLOW 000 NextStep2… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQSHT16?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like

Okay I went ahead and did the TT, I was scared of the listing running out :joy: heard lots of positives from other friends who have them for their kids and zero negatives so I’m going to go for it.

5 Likes

We bought the only one they had at Home Depot. It has been perfect

2 Likes

Same as Econ, there was one available so that’s what we got. We also got the squatty potty stool thing. It’s worked well.

1 Like

LOL, the boys have been asking for their own Squatty Potty but I don’t know if it will fit in their bathroom! It is super tiny!

Since I’m sitting here waiting on hair dye anyway - the squatty potty isn’t here now but the toilet is right up against the wall and it fit just fine. The stool didn’t touch the wall.

3 Likes

I miraculously found 2 on FB marketplace for $40 each. The family selling them said one was hers as a child, and the other was recently outgrown by their 13yo. Both were in pretty good shape! We really like ours. So yes, you might be able to shop around for a slightly better price, but cost per use will devolve to basically zero no matter the price.

1 Like

My apartment came with a Summer brand one and it does the job.

1 Like

What do you do with a baby who wakes up startled and angry that he is on his belly?

When awake, he’s fine for extended periods of tummy time (and starting to get up and rock on all fours). But it seems like rolling over in his sleep is a new development that he DOES NOT LIKE and, by extension, I do not like either.

6 Likes

Those learning tower things are shocking expensive and I am concerned about storing it in our tiny house (no corners are or could be made available for it). But I could get a folding one. Are they worth it?

2 Likes

I bought ours when Spore was 14 months and it’s still going strong at age 3. It is totally inconvenient and in the way but also has been great to occupy Spore with Montessori-esque kitchen play & tasks. This morning he helped crack eggs, whisk, add salt and pepper, and even pushed the spatula around. By about 30 months his balance was good enough for a regular stepstool but he’s very, very attached to the learning tower and anyway we want to keep it around for TR.

I feel weird about recommending specific products too hard, though. Do you have anything else Cuckoo can stand on to participate in kitchen stuff? What did you do with the older 2 kids – clearly they are well adjusted young adults even if they didn’t have a learning tower in their formative years :joy:

This seems like a good thing to look for used. In my area we have a kids gear rental company, too. Fwiw, mine folds but I’ve never folded it because then I would have a kid trying to unfold it by himself.

3 Likes

I found one for $50 on marketplace at about age 18m and it is still in use at age 3.5. Idk if I’d have spent money on one full price, but it is the child’s current eating spot/hand washing spot/almost get a freezer waffle made on her own spot, so it’s been more valuable as time goes on rather than less.

It does not fold, but it has a permanent place at the counter where we eat and is easy to slide around as needed to clean around it or wash hands/get waffle.

3 Likes

LOL. I think I just put things on the kitchen table where they could reach it maybe? Or they stood on the regular stool? Cuckoo is pretty steady so she might be able to use a stool sooner than later. This is also why we don’t have a Tripp Trapp. The older boys, you know, learned to eat and whatnot.

I am striking out on Marketplace so far- I am a HARD NO on one that doesn’t fold. It’s not just that the kitchen and dining area are tiny- we have 5 people living here and things get crowded. BUT- I think this would be perfect if I decide to pull the trigger and it’s not that much more. Good ol’ Cosco brand, folding metal with a snack tray, higher ratings than many of the fancy wooden ones. https://www.amazon.com/2-Step-Kitchen-StepperTM-Folding-Helper/dp/B0BBSMHJRY/ref=asc_df_B0BBSMHJRY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=663306322232&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8306035087490461725&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028770&hvtargid=pla-2185924470422&mcid=4427ad059d483eed8b7bb4afad7265ee&th=1

3 Likes

We absolutely adored ours. Around 3 we moved to using a chair up against the counter since she was taller and more trustworthy, but literally from barely over a year until 3 it got near daily use. We loaned it to an neighbor but I’m hoping to get it back for kid number 2.

3 Likes