Random Questions, Parenting Edition

Yep! Although I can hear her anywhere downstairs and she doesn’t really play independently much lol. Her not being alllll up in my business/trying to force my involvement is a rare and miraculous thing. Increasingly more common, and she can now get onto the swing and pump her legs solo after a small push which has been lovely.

2 Likes

I mean, if we’re gonna have adult company I might unhook them and stash them away lol. It’s also worth noting we have super thick carpet pad, so she’s mega crashed off of all the stuff from very high and been fine :joy: if she’s ladder climbing though I put the nugget pieces underneath too.

We have the same ninja kit as BJ. We switch between having the swing, trapeze bar, and rope ladder hanging in the living room/play room.

We have these bouncing things for bounce play, along with a little tykes trampoline. Flybar Hopper Ball for Kids - Bouncy Ball with Handle, Durable Bouncy Balls, Kangaroo Ball, Exercise Ball, Indoor and Outdoor Toy, Pump Included, Toddler Toys for Boys and Girls, Ages 3 and Up (Mnk S) Amazon.com

We have this sensory swing Therapy Swing for Kids with… Amazon.com

For heavy lifting we have a few slam balls in different sizes (not this brand but similar). They pick up the 15lb ball and then throw it back down (like adults do with Atlas stones). Then there is a 30 lb one that they push around. We were lucky that we already had these for own workouts. Yes4All Slam Balls, Weighted Balls for Exercise, Sand Filled Workout Ball with Different Textures & Weights, High-Density Rubber for Exercises, Athletic Training, 10-40lbs https://a.co/d/b9xr8Ar

2 Likes

In regards to keeping the swings/ninja stuff out of the way, there really isn’ta way. We have them anchored into the studs in the ceiling and they are just in the middle of the room unless we take them down for like a party or something.

2 Likes

Oooh I should get her a slam ball. She mainly will rearrange our furniture for her self chosen heavy work :face_with_spiral_eyes: also likes moving my 10lb hand weights around.

1 Like

I was very impressed and thought D2 was going to hurt herself the first time she picked up the 15# one in the garage. But she just naturally used perfect form and loved to do it. We originally started with just the 30# one inside for them to push around on the floor

2 Likes

Thanks - I’m not worried about looks as much as safety. We don’t have an open concept house so even though the downstairs is only like 600 SQ ft, I can’t see her from the kitchen if I’m cooking. The other concern is that I can’t really move enough furniture out of the way to create a large swing path so I’m worried about hitting things…hence debating a swedish ladder vs a swing.

If we go with a swing, I think it also takes away most of her pretend play/block building area (which of course spills out onto the living room rug all the time anyway so maybe that doesn’t matter)

The ladder would go against the wall:

3 Likes

I mean, if they fall they’ll let you know :sweat_smile: I can’t see into the front room from the kitchen directly either.

The furniture is def an issue- we added the second mounts specifically because Latte was hitting the wall as she got bigger. A sensory swing and trapeze handles wouldn’t be as much of a problem though, but a standard swing yes. They do clip on and off obscenely easily, and since the upper strap stays put it’s easy to reach.

2 Likes

We have a wobble board, a pikler triangle, a balance beam and stepping stones. And a small slide and bounce house in the basement because winters are very long and cold here. The wobble board has kind of been a bust for us; my kids just don’t use it. They love the stepping stones and balance beam and make all kinds of obstacle courses with them.

If you don’t want stuff permanently available, a pikler triangle might work better than the swedish ladder? It’s not as tall but it also folds up and can be put away.

1 Like

Yeah my daughter loved her curved wood wobble board when she was an early walker, love peaked between 1.5-2.5 years. I think she’s too stable now so it’s not as fun? Lol. It had a solid run as a car ramp too, but she doesn’t play with cars really anymore, not often anyway.

We do still use our pikler somewhat. It’s nice to integrate into nugget builds, too, and I imagine if she didn’t have the nuggets it would be the item of choice to launch herself off of.

Oh yeah, we have a nugget, too! They get tons of use out of it and I hardly ever have to tell them to stop jumping on the real couch. Highly recommend a nugget, they’re great.

1 Like

Definitely the best cost to play ratio of anything we own. That and the ceiling mounts. A nugget was definitely a faith purchase for us- I didn’t get the hype but knew so many people who loved theirs- but within 2 weeks of having it we had ordered the second one :joy: never looked back.

3 Likes

Good to know about the wobble board not getting as much use with an der toddler.

We have a nugget and a pickler triangle upstairs. Pipsqueak actually isn’t that into climbing but we use it as a tunnel or to make into a slide. She does love jumping and playing with the nugget, which was a Christmas gift last year. I was thinking a swedish ladder would be a more compact option for swinging (via a hanging bar/rings) rather than a tool for climbing.

3 Likes

I am waiting for the pediatrician to call me back but do these recommendations for a fever seem reasonable?

Baby is 5 months, fever is between 98-101.5 (getting better thermometer now), acting more fussy than normal but still consolable, greenish tint to stool, still eating normally. We are waiting from the call from the doctor to see if we should give him infant Tylenol but I don’t think we need to rush to the ER either.

Would you do the same?

Call your child’s health care provider right away if your child.

• Is younger than 3 months of age and has a temperature of 100.4˚F (38˚C) or higher.
  • Is older than 3 months and has a temperature:
    • Of 104 ˚F (40 ˚C) or above.
    • Above 102˚F (38.9˚C) for more than 2 days or keeps coming back.
    • That has been treated to bring it down, but it has not worked.
  • At any age, has a fever and:
    • Looks very ill, is very fussy, or very drowsy.
    • Is not eating or drinking and shows signs of dehydration – dry or sticky mouth, sunken eyes, dark urine, dry diapers, or not urinating.
    • Has a stiff neck, bad headache, very sore throat, painful stomach ache, vomiting, or diarrhea.
    • Has an unusual rash
    • Has been in a very hot place, such as an overheated car.
    • Has immune system problems that make them more likely to get sick, such as sickle cell disease or cancer, or takes a medicine that weakens the immune system.
2 Likes

Yes, that seems fine. It’s really about how the baby “seems”. Happy? Listless? Those are more important than the fever (which doctors are pretty meh about.)

But definitely get an accurate thermometer.

3 Likes

I’d probably give Tylenol for a fussy baby with a 101 fever but I wouldn’t be rushing to the ER. I think you’re making the right call, good job parents!!

IME pediatricians.are extremely unimpressed by fevers if your kid is more than a month or two old and s it’s under 103. Even after 4 days of fever for my one year old they didn’t care since ibuprofen lowered the fever.

3 Likes

I’d let the kid guide the med question. Do they seem cranky? Listless? Etc? Then try the med, somewhat regardless of the severity of the fever.

2 Likes

Also: one reason I tend to give fever reducing meds pretty quickly for a cranky/fussy baby is that the pediatrician always asks if the baby is mostly back to themselves when the fever lowers via medication. It can be hard to tell if they are truly “listless” or just feverish but 20-30 minutes after getting meds my kid always perks up.

4 Likes

He is more fussy than normal and wants to be held constantly. He has lower energy and has been taking longer naps but nothing too far outside of normal.

I was still in “newborn fever freak out mode” so it is good to know that in older babies it isn’t as severe of a problem.

3 Likes

Agreeing with everyone else - you don’t need to run to the ER, but it’s worth getting a better thermometer and checking in with the pediatrician when they call back. They take sick newborns seriously too. Not that they don’t take sick older kids seriously, but you know what I mean. I hope you get a call back soon and :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed: hopefully some good sleep tonight.

1 Like