Random Questions, Parenting Edition

oh no. boo.

Any chance it could be mono? Coming and going, intense tiredness might fit.

I don’t think so. Her daycare mentioned they had some kids out sick, but hasn’t specified with what. The rest of us aren’t very sick, but my husband has a cough/stuffy nose. That would suck so bad, doesn’t mono also take forever to recover from?

1 Like

Well, it’s happened. Ravioli has started chomping down his gums on my nipple. Gonna try to vary positions/catch him in the act and unlatch, but it happens so fast! Argh

4 Likes

Pull in to the breast, so that he has to unlatch? That worked for me, anyway.

Definitely going to be poised to do that even though it’s counter intuitive…makes me feel like I can’t relax when I’m feeding him :slightly_frowning_face:

Yes. And it sucks. On the bright side though, they seem to either learn or lose interest in doing that quickly. It doesn’t feel quick to the nips tho.

5 Likes

This is our only bathtub. Is there any way of comfortably bathing a child in this, or should we start working on taking out the sliding door and getting a shower curtain instead?

4 Likes

I would take out the sliding door

4 Likes

Yes.

Or - how big is your kitchen sink? We bathed in the kitchen sink in a baby bathtub until child was about a year old. But our kitchen sink is pretty big (the entire bathtub fit inside).

2 Likes

Ummm probably not nearly big enough to fit the baby bath we have.

1 Like

Depends on your parenting style! With both I did bird baths first, and then bathed together until they could at least sit up! And a baby bath depending on the kind, can also go on the floor.

But if you want to do baby bath in big tub, you kneeling outside… it is a) going to be super uncomfortable no matter what. And b) extra uncomfortable but doable with that set up.

5 Likes

Yeah we did a lot of baths just holding her in the shower with us then handing her out to other parent. Worked really well for us. And as she got older we’ve done long periods of her joining for showers, interspersed with periods of baths- it’s nice to have both options to work around resistance, but we could definitely have gotten by with just one.

2 Likes

If you have the bandwidth, I’d take it out.

2 Likes

I have no bathtub at all, so my daughter at nearly 3 has done almost exclusively sink baths. In a bath seat at first (not a tub, like an egg-shaped mesh baby chair), then sitting in the sink. It is a good sized sink, but also not able to fit a typical baby bathtub.

Probably also depends on your routine. Is bath going to be part of nightly bedtime routine or a 1-2 times per week like we do? I wouldn’t want to scrub the sink every night for a daily bath, but a weekend or as needed/requested works well.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the inputs! It’s good to know we have options if we don’t get it done before August. Besides GM inexplicably likes the sliding door ( I think it’s the worst) but I think he’ll change his tune after taking lead on a few baths if he doesn’t immediately agree now that it’s going to be an issue.

4 Likes

Yeah this is an important point. I already skewed toward low baths for Littles, and some eczema patches really solidified that for us. Baths/showers are not daily for us.

3 Likes

Also, the ease of standing at the kitchen counter height and reaching into the sink versus kneeling on the floor/leaning over the tub cannot be overstated. I’ve done just enough bathtub baths at hotels to appreciate the difference.

Sinks, while not great places to do a long, funtime bath, are at least intended to ergonomically accommodate the position you have to be in to cleanse the object inside.

Her first few weeks were countertop sponge baths with a kitchen faucet hair wash because the cord took forever to fall off, but in retrospect, there was no way postpartum me would have been physically able to wash her at any other height.

8 Likes

We used this one in the kitchen when we had a similar style shower. This did fit into our sink (it hooks onto the side so it’s not inside the sink but above it. It would have worked just as well on the counter next to the sink. The First Years Sure Comfort Deluxe Newborn-to-toddler Tub With Sling - White : Target

We also had this as a hand-me down and it was no fun in the shower style that you have. It was an hand-me down which is why we ended up buying the one I listed above after seeing that it didn’t work well. We did use this on with a towel on top of it for sponge baths in the bedroom with a lot bowel of water and that worked fine. Angelcare Baby Bath Support - Gray : Target

ETA we also have never done nightly baths. My infant was one that didn’t get the baby handbook and a bath made her scream instead of soothing her. (She also didn’t sleep I’m the car…very defective infant settings!). Now we do baths 1-3x a week depending on how muddy she gets at school.

ETA 2. Ugh sorry so many typos. I’m sick and can’t see well (daycare sent home pinkeye)
Sorry!

6 Likes

With both of my girls we never used a baby bath. We do have a nightly bath as part of the bedtime routine, but only use soap 1-2x per week. When they were very little we did all baths together in the tub. I would lay down in the water and Ry would hand me the baby and then she would either lay on my chest or I would have my legs bent and she would lean back on my legs. I think around 5-6 months old we started letting them be on their own in the bath tub. I would put a towel in the tub and lay them on the towel and then just have an inch or so of water in the tub under/around her. That would not have been easy with a glass door like that.

2 Likes