Pregnancy is weird

It makes you wonder, for people who birth 4 and 5 and 6 babies or more… is pregnancy objectively more comfortable for them?? Or is there some sort of beatific, delusional selective memory?

Earlier today I was wondering where the heck my stomach is right now at 30 weeks. Turns out it’s behind my boobs.

5 Likes

Man medical records don’t mess around, this makes me sound like an absolute MESS :laughing:

7 Likes

My unsubstantiated answer is both? My first pregnancy was a ridiculously smooth ride. A bit of nausea towards the beginning, a touch of uncomfy towards the end, nothing in the middle that a pregnancy pillow didn’t solve. Then I got pregnant with the Beast. :tired_face:

3 Likes

I feel like I’ve got the nesting impulse but no time to nest.

I need to relocate the pile of flooring for the floor all the rooms project that was like two years ago at this point that became a floor half of the rooms, oops project. Debating between giving that all away on buy nothing, selling it on Facebook marketplace, or hiring someone to finish the project, because I get out of breath doing laundry and can’t fathom flooring a room right now.

That will make room to put away baby clothes in the closet hung up or in some kind of hanging cubby thing and maybe put my small sewing table in the closet, which will clear space for the crib, which I can set up.

There’s a loveseat and recliner downstairs - I want to get rid of the loveseat, move my big desk to where the loveseat is (though I need to figure out how to get wired internet down there first…), And then there will be a lot more space to figure out more of the baby room, such as a daybed for on-duty parent or a changing table or toys or whatever.

Also I want an adorable rug.

4 Likes

Time to get that flu shot :joy:

2 Likes

Maybe the theme of your shower is “floor all the rooms”

5 Likes

I’m getting so many of my baby needs off buy nothing that I’m tempted to nix the registry and just be tacky and ask for $ to finish the minor home improvements I’m clearly never going to DIY now.

We’ve also had an entire vinyl fence of material sitting in our backyard for mumble mumble mumble time.

3 Likes

Im a big fan of this idea. Yes.

They just don’t have it in their system :joy: and the Covid as “high” is flagged so they’ll give me the bivalent booster at my first apt. Never got around go to that one since I got Covid, then an exposure, then was supposed to get it at the same time as my flu shot and they ran out. I’m still annoyed by that.

7 Likes

Ok, I know it is very early to think about nursery layout, but we are hosting friends in a month and would like to get a few things for our guest room. I don’t want to make changes to our current office/guest room that we’d have to redo if/when we eventually take home a baby and that room becomes a nursery/bedroom.

We are lucky to have a lot of space. It seems like this is where people put their babies in this situation, right?

• When baby comes home, they sleep in a bassinet/Snoo/whatever next to parents’ bed at night.
  • They also have a nursery with a crib where they hopefully take naps, have baby stuff like a changing table, and a nice to have is another bed for a parent to sleep on. It is hard to keep using this room as an office, so ideally office should move.

If it makes a difference, I am a needs a lot of sleep to not die person, so any baby feeding situation has to allow for me to be able to get uninterrupted sleep sometimes.

7 Likes

So when Latte was tiny, we only had an office space as the second space, but we put her pack and play in there. So functionally was kind of like having a nursery. and we also crammed a twin size bed in that room. Anyway, that worked really well because if she was awake in the middle of the night, one parent could get up with her out in the living room and let the other parent sleep, And then, if it seemed like she would go back to sleep, we could do that in the office, and not have to try to come back into the bedroom. So that’s essentially our plan again this time, is to have a bassinet, and then when she gets bigger a crib in our bedroom, and then a nursery space with a twin size bed in it to be able to put her down and sleep in there as we do alternating shifts.

3 Likes

I’m sorry I might be groggy and not functioning too! What is the space you currently have?

Two bedrooms - one master and one bedroom/office

OR

Three rooms- one master, one bed, one office?

We combined the guest room and office and used the third room as the nursery. We don’t have a lot of guests but it is nice to have the bed and we might have more guests helping with the baby. Maybe in the future we will do more of a Murphy bed setup. TBD.

2 Likes

We are spoiled!

We have three bedrooms: one bedroom for us, and two offices/guest rooms (one has a bed and one has a pull-out couch). We also have one finished basement room with good lighting that could be converted into an office without much work. If we want to go nuts, we have a mostly finished basement that could legally be turned into 1-2 bedrooms if we just put in walls.

We do get a lot of overnight guests but I have to imagine it will slow down ice there is a screaming baby who lives here.

5 Likes

I am team do whatever allows the most flexibility. Your plan sounds as good to me as a plan can ahead of time, but I would consider options that can be swapped in/out in case something is not working. First year of baby’s life looked like this at our (small, 2BR) apartment for example:
-Baby in snuggle nest in living room (on coffee table), mom on couch, dad in master
-Baby in pack and play top in guest room, mom on guest bed, dad in master
-Baby in pack and play bottom in master bedroom, mom and dad on master bed
-Baby in pack and play bottom in master, dad in master bed, mom in guest room.

We didn’t get a crib because of space constraints, but she slept fine in the pack and play. My husband has big problems if he doesn’t sleep, so a lot of the shuffling was to accommodate that, and it sounds like similar things might happen for you, so just something to keep in mind.

5 Likes

I like the idea of safe sleep spaces for baby in 2 different rooms right from the start. We’ve only had room for 1 space, in our bedroom, but out bassinet is on wheels so sometimes it was in our bedroom during the day and sometimes in a different space. We’ve never had a spare room available to be a nursery, sounds very handy!

4 Likes

We never did a bassinet. We had a crib and a desk-turned-changing-table in the large primary bedroom that also had a queen size bed (it was a very large room!). The second bedroom had a small corner desk plus another bed. The two adults rotated in and out of the second bedroom to get better sleep and when we had guests we were just sad because we gave them the office bed but also it was my parents who were here to help with the baby so it was an om tradeoff.

We moved to a new place with a third bedroom when Pipsqueak was 4 months old and we switched to:

1. Office with desk and guest bed
  2. Child’s room with crib and glider but no bed
  3. Primary bedroom with bed and pack n play (which has since been removed)

I’m also a “really needs sleep” person so we moved Pipsqueak to her own room at 5 months and did not continue sharing a room. For the first month after we moved we had her in our room in the pack n play but we all sleep much better when she’s alone in her crib. If she wasn’t sleeping well alone we probably would have put a twin size mattress on her floor for adult sleep and midnight snuggles but we were able to get away with rocking her in the glider and then transferring her back to the crib and leaving the room most of the time (all bets are off when she’s sick still and I don’t even know how we survive lol).

3 Likes

Thanks for all these layout descriptions, friends! High level takeaway: we will probably be iterating a lot, so I can make all the guest room decor changes I have planned without knowingly screwing over my future self. Love when I can do what I want.

This is also making me curious about what our overnight visitor situation will look like. I could see my wife’s mom, brother, and/or older cousin who is like a sister visiting, but also not. We’ll see, life is an adventure

9 Likes

Ah yes, that’s an important note for our layouts. We have shit for support lol. “Guest space” means a spot for the second parent to sleep lol. We never had anyone stay for baby Latte help.

2 Likes

I have to go deal with a situation I created (looks like it is going well, but lots happened)

I would say be flexible, don’t spend too much money. Have 2 places adults can sleep, and a place for baby. Be open to cosleeping. I have never done the nursery thing, but I put shelves above my dresser in my old apartment and took cute pictures of them styled.

Here the recommendation is to room share at least a year. 18 months seems right to us, with parents spending time in the kid’s room until past 3. My medical professionals and I strongly recommend cosleeping as the best way for mum to get sleep

6 Likes

But also know that some babies are weird and will refuse to cosleep in bed :sob: that was my backup/survival strategy and Latte was NOT down for it.

6 Likes