Pregnancy is weird

Thank you for all of this! The emphasis on form makes a ton of sense. In general I think I am doing well at resetting expectations and embracing where I’m at, but seeing your running-specific examples like 60/60 is really helpful since I’m not super well-versed in running.

I found this 10 minute foot & ankle barre video that looks promising. Going to give it a whirl in the next work break!

2 Likes

Don’t tell the running police but I haven’t had a full on run without walk breaks since like 10-12 weeks pregnant? I’m doing much more walking and biking than running lately.

I hope some of that works for you! Let me know what you think.

3 Likes

Little update

Good

Measuring 6w4d (just a day under my guess, which is within range)

HR 122 bpm

Is a blob

Doc is happy with those #s.

25 Likes

For those into running, this physiotherapist is good to help you know where to start so you can discuss with your trainer/ physio how to manage postpartum return to exercise.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CmoV-1YhG7s/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

She’s very big on actually getting back into the stuff that is fun for you, but also what to look out for when doing so etc.

5 Likes

I told my parents and siblings on Christmas, and it’s probably good I did because my mom needs to request vacation days before the end of the year (she’s a nurse).

They are happy but so much more optimistic than me. I’m still like I dunno, I don’t think it will be real to me until I get into 2nd tri at this point, so we’re looking at February for any confidence whatsoever.

I also told my boss today at only just shy of 8 weeks because I need to figure out leave next year, which may entail me working a lot of extra for “comp time” or essentially extra PTO. Because here in America, we aren’t even guaranteed unpaid leave!

11 Likes

Its ok to “outsource your optimism” until you can be optimistic too.

6 Likes

Had my first definitive spotting event of this pregnancy and am slowly losing my shit.

3 Likes

I swear my body heard me worrying about a decrease of symptoms last night and was like

HERE THEY ARE

ALL AT ONCE

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

ENJOY

8 Likes

Question on doulas- what have been some of your experiences with them? We are 2-2.5 months from birth and I’m wondering if we totally messed up by not hiring one.

What kind of things did they help you with? How was your birth experience enhanced by one?

For those without doulas - why did you choose not to get one?

I’m talking specifically doulas who help with birth not a night doula to help with overnight feeding after the baby is born. But also there could be other types of doulas I’m not aware of?

When will the training on how to do this whole parenting thing arrive? I feel so unprepared all of a sudden. Where is my license to do this? I still feel like a child myself.

6 Likes

We didn’t get one because options were limited, time was limited, and I am very, very picky. I would definitely recommend at the very least doing a quick search to see who’s in your area and also look at women’s healthy physiotherapists because they will often have recommendations from who their clients have used.

I would prefer to have had one but am unsure if I can find the right one even now they’re more and more common. See: very picky.

Oh but I did have an absolutely excellent midwife with my first labour who did all the doula things (or at least some) of encouraging me, helping Ponder work out what I needed, rearranging me when I needed it. It was complete luck and she was amazing and stayed past the end of her shift (because she accurately trusted that mine was a short labour. Yep.)

3 Likes

I didn’t get a doula because I felt like I was very in sync with the midwife practice. Their recommendations for nearly everything aligned with my preferences/choices, so I didn’t feel the need for an additional advocate for me.

3 Likes

I had a doula with both, would do it again! I don’t qualify for midwife care here, and the nurses are all clinically good but vary in terms of people skills- and the doctor comes in to offer interventions or catch the baby (in my medical system). Plus my doctor has not been working anytime I have had a baby.

It gave me someone who knows me and can offer support, who has a bag of tricks, and can be my medical advocate. She can ask the doctor questions that I would have asked if I wasn’t in labour, and gave me time to think about my answers. She brought snacks, and could be with me while my other support person took a break.

7 Likes

I did not have a doula. I delivered at a baby friendly hospital and all of their standard things aligned with my preferences. I also felt like my husband would be good enough support for me. I do not regret it at all.

2 Likes

Oh and had Ponder read “The Birth Partner” and did a prep-for-labour session with a physiotherapist on labour positions and non-medical management (and they were practical about also giving ideas things that would also work with epidurals if I wanted one) was the biggest help, really regretted not doing a refresher before labour 2.

3 Likes

I wasn’t planning to have a doula, but really really liked my birthing class instructor and signed up for her virtual doula service (oh hey 2020, hospitals weren’t allowing IRL doulas).

She was super knowledgeable about anatomy and our prenatal session also touched on some insider tips - things like, they tell you not to eat for the whole time but it’s actually only medically important once x and y begins, so if you make the choice to eat solid food you’ll just need to inform them in case of surgery and then they’ll do z to make sure you’re safe. Or rooms 4 and 5 at this particular have tubs, so if you really want a bathtub try to ask for those rooms. Or here’s the exact vocab to use if you want to not always be strapped into the fetal heart monitor, or if you get an epidural but want them to let you shift around more.

My labor ended up being over 24h with 5 shift changes (meaning the midwife/OB and nurse on duty changed each time) so it was great to have a single, knowledgeable person on my side throughout the whole labor. Virtual was perfect for me. I’m a fairly private person and was happier to only have spouse in the room (and like 15 medical staff, ha). We texted probably 20x about progress and spoke on the phone 2-3x including a very useful part where she helped figure out why midwife/nurses instructions weren’t working. In hindsight I was really happy to have her as a resource given all the unexpected things around that particular birth.

Now I’m mulling over whether to hire her again for #2! If things go smoothly I feel pretty well equipped to do this, but if they go sideways it could be really good to have someone available. Hm…

Btw, some doulas can be stronger influences for/against epidurals, c-sections, etc. If you go this route make sure you choose one that feels flexible or opinionated in whatever way feels right for you.

7 Likes

Same for me. Later I wished I’d had a doula, because I imagined she would have come to my house once contractions started (my midwife practice encouraged laboring at home as long as possible), seen how my labor was progressing, and told me to go to the birth center sooner so I would have had time to get in the dang birthing pool like I wanted.

But I imagine a lot of ways things could have gone differently and I would have had birthing pool time :joy:

8 Likes

I didn’t have bath as an option but i did have a shower the second time that i thought would be good and i just ended up cranky and damp. We definitely need an extra set of hands on deck. OH right i can’t remember if i was actually allowed another person or if it was Ponder only. Sigh. I would have asked my mum but she was home with Duckling anyway. Hmm. But she’s “doula’d” me through labour-level period cramps so i knew what that would be like. Might ask her for number 3.

6 Likes

I hired a doula for the last pregnancy but we have less money now so we probably won’t for this one.

Also the doula I hired had reached out around my EDD for the last miscarried pregnancy and I was so intent on hiring her but she’s totally ghosted me since so :woman_shrugging:

Of course I don’t have any experience with actual labor with or without a doula. We’re probably leaning against this round because

• $
  • My mom has a good chance of being able to be there, and we don’t want a million people in the room.
  • My ideal scenario is a scheduled induction with an epidural, and I think a lot of where I would want support is the laboring at home. Ideally I will have 0 laboring at home. 0% crunchy on the labor and delivery front. Mostly this makes my choice of doctor and getting my preferences known and their general practices around this much more important to me than a doula.
8 Likes

I was feeling pretty good lately and today my boobs feel not sore and also deflated and that’s freaking me out.

2 Likes

One week until my next appointment.

I have known that I’m pregnant for approximately a month and a half but it feels like AGES. Time perception is a wild thing. This winter feels like the longest ever due to feeling like I’m just in constant waiting.

11 Likes