Pregnancy is weird

Having a lot of anxiety today with a low-symptom day. It sucks that with a history of loss, I can’t just enjoy low symptom days as days of normalcy and relief

5 Likes

Did anyone have vision changes while pregnant? I have never worn or needed glasses but I am having a hard time seeing at night or presentations from further away.

IDK if it makes sense to get glasses for just a few months if it is going to change back, if this is a permanent change to my vision, or what is going on. It seems sudden for me, and easy-ish to manage not driving at night for now.

2 Likes

I’ve definitely heard this is a thing to the point where lasik is discouraged if you’re planning to have children.

1 Like

Yes, I had to get glasses mostly for driving at night. Once the baby was born I’m not sure if I didn’t need them anymore or just wasn’t driving home at five at night in the winter?

1 Like

Yes it’s absolutely common :tired_face: mine just got a bit worse, it was better than average and now I’m “just” average. It got somewhat better a few months PP (I imagine it was relayed to preE and fluid retention for me) but still not where I was.

Also, clomid gave me eye floaters which is a thing that can happen apparently.

1 Like

It’s possible some have guessed from my lack of updates, but we got bad news Monday. I’d like to offer a heartfelt thanks to everyone who has shared their struggles and their stories. It buoys me to know I am not alone, and that this can be overcome. Sending love, good health, and sticky thoughts as appropriate. :heart::two_hearts::heart::two_hearts::two_hearts:

Further updates will be spoilered on my journal, and PMs are welcome.

18 Likes

Hugs and love galliver :purple_heart:

1 Like

Sending big, big comfort and peace vibes your way. I’m so sorry for the bad news.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. Sending you healing thoughts.

1 Like

I’m so, so sorry for your bad news :heart:

1 Like

I’m so sorry :disappointed:

1 Like

I’m so sorry. Sending much love and healing thoughts your way.

1 Like

Oh no, I’m so sorry. Sending you comfort and hugs.

1 Like

Currently laying in bed trying not to panic because I thought I saw a hint of a hint of brown in my discharge.

Summary

I started spotting at 6 weeks last time, and my only scan at 10 weeks showed that’s when it stopped growing, so I assume spotting = it’s over because I’ve never personally experienced any different, even though others have.

So I’m just laying in bed failing to relax and waiting until I have enough discharge to wipe and check again. I literally don’t know how to stop that compulsion.

3 Likes

I’m sorry you’re worrying! I can see how it would be scary based on your history, even if statistically it shouldn’t be concerning. Remind me, have you had a viability scan yet? Or do you have one coming up? Virtual hugs.

1 Like

I have one on Tuesday, and I’m trying to just chill.

1 Like

There’s nothing I know of that doesnt make that scary. I hope you can look after yourself until your scan.

3 Likes

Looks like probably hyperanalyzing and a false alarm. No other evidence of any weird leakage.

gross

I do have a bit of a history of leaky butt so maybe something from a wet fart just snuck out of the designated areas.

3 Likes

One of my goals for this pregnancy is to do enough prehab/maintenance with foot & ankle strength to hopefully maintain walking ability after this birth. ETA I am still biking a lot, so not worried about aerobic fitness, but it doesn’t help walking ability/mobility.

For the past month I’ve been jogging to daycare (1.5mi) 1-2x a week. Usually I can do this nonstop, which felt like a good milestone compared to my postpartum pain from 2020. Today, I took 3 walking breaks when I felt the ankle area starting to stiffen up. I can also hear that my footfalls are louder, which doesn’t seem like a good thing.

I am either having a bad day or reaching a new level of needing to slow down. I’ve gained a few more pounds since the start of the month, now at Week 20. It was also 10 degrees colder (29F) so maybe things are just stiff?

@ginja_ninja I know this is a far, far cry from the ultrarunning you do, but any thoughts or suggestions?

5 Likes

I’ll give you some thoughts from my running coach for my situation that have helped.

First- everything is hard right now and should be compared to the same effort as if you had on a weight vest and we’re doing it at 13k-14k feet of elevation.

If running is starting to get less efficient (footfalls being louder) I have been doing much more interval work where I do run/walks. My favorite format so far has been 60/60 (60 seconds running/60 seconds walking). Sometimes I’ll do longer 2-10 minute intervals. I made the commitment to running with good form or walking. None of the in between really not good for you stuff.

He also suggested barre classes and I have been doing those too! Great for mobility/calves/etc and low impact.

I was having lots of foot pain and just switched to new shoes (typically I wait until like 300-400 miles and these only had 180 miles) and it was a game changer. The arch support is what I was missing.

I also wear oofos around the house and I find my back, ankles, feet feel so much better in them than barefoot or other shoes.

The weather totally impacts my running pregnant or not. Too hot or too cold things are difficult for different reasons!

I watch my heart rate and I can get my HR between 140-150 when walking quickly or on a hill when normally that could be my running HR.

Long story short- don’t be so hard on yourself for movement changing. Run when it feels good with great form, and walk the rest of the time. You can walk with purpose too and it is still excellent exercise. Pro tip most ultra runners become awesome power walkers/power hikers because when “running” for 24-30 hours walking is critical!

Idk if you’re a heart rate runner but I would use that as a strong metric for work rather than pacing/mileage. I have switched to entirely looking at time and heart rate and ignoring everything else. I’m only going to get slower.

My running coach has also changed some of my workouts to naps when I was too tired, so it’s a very balanced approach.

One final hug of love: honor your body the way it is right now. Don’t try to force yourself to hit metrics you may have hit in the past. This pregnancy is different. This version of your body is different. It is okay to honor where you are and not where you think you “should” be. Hopefully this will lead to you finding more movement that you enjoy and not hurting yourself.

4 Likes