Pop Culture Discussions - Movies, TV, and Other Things You Watch

I was not the person that told you that :slight_smile:

Ohhhh. This sounds like exactly what I need now that GBBO is over for the season.

1 Like

I just watched The Prom on Netflix. Anyone else watch it yet?

As background - I know the Broadway cast album very well, didn’t see the play, have seen their Tony show performance, have seen some bootleg youtube of the actual play.

Like everything Ryan Murphy does, it was very mixed.

I like this musical - it’s not the greatest, but it’s ear-wormy and meant to be comedic and breezy, despite handling sensitive LGBT bullying issues.

I liked a lot of the cast, especially Meryl Streep (duh), Kerry Washington, and Ariana DeBose.

I liked the diverse and inclusivity of the supporting cast, especially for the final inclusive prom scene. (This reminded me a lot of what Murphy does best in Pose.)

Worst part - James Corden should not have been cast. Others have said it better than I could, such as https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/dec/09/james-corden-the-prom-netflix-proves-straight-actors-playing-gay-should-think-twice

Not-as-bad-but-still-not-good - I really disliked Jo Ellen Pellman’s performance in this. It’s not just that her vocals aren’t as good as Caitlin Kinnunen (and they aren’t).

It seemed like her acting was to play everything as though she was Ellie Kemper in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. She is smiling through almost the ENTIRE MOVIE, even when it is completely at odds with what’s going on. There is 1 scene where she finally stops smiling once (probably the lowest point for her - and she’s sorta crying). And then she’s smiling the rest of the time, even when she has “tears” and is breaking up with her gf.

I kept thinking - she’s obviously a “theater kid” so I guess she doesn’t know how to act for television or a movie? I even checked her imdb - which verifies that she has very little acting experience. And a quick google search confirms this (theater kid/limited acting for tv/film). But then why cast her??? Why not just cast Caitlin Kinnunen, who allegedly wanted to audition for the role?

From published interviews - it sounds like Ryan Murphy wanted to put his “own spin” on things, so he deliberately refused to cast anyone from the Broadway show. Mission accomplished - he wound up with a much worse lead who can’t emote properly for a movie.

1 Like

Anyone watched Transplant (Hulu/NBC/CTV)?

Just binged it and so glad there is a second season coming. Recommended for fans of Grey’s, House, and Call the Midwife. The last because it gave me some real wholesomeness feels the other hospital shows don’t, even though it seemed like it would be much darker starting out!