OMD forum's 1 year bday this week!

omd_forum

This week, the OMD forums celebrate their 1 year bday. Thank you all for being here over the year and making this place a really wonderful, accessible, diverse community of folks that like to talk about knitting, dogs, cats, plants and…sometimes finances.

I am so grateful to:

• literally every single person who makes this a ~nice~ place on the internet to talk openly about finances
  • @aaronpk for fixing the servers whenever things go wonky
  • The Purrsonal Finance Society members that pay all our server costs and keep us going (and make it so I don’t need to put gross spammy video ads up)
  • @rural and @AmandaS1989 and @AnnAnn and @Bracken_Joy and @Elle and @lhamo and @Pbkmaine and @Oro and @MonkeyJenga for being some of the first people to brave the wilds of these forums and make them an inviting place
  • @PAWG and @ThreeOfWands for setting up the most entertaining wordsmithing rivalry since Keats vs. Byron
  • @Smacky for doing the delightful badge distribution and general cheering on in our monthly challenges
  • ALL the amazing bingo prizes people offered for the 24 in 2020 Bingo Challenge
  • the aussies and kiwis who keep us going with pictures of sunshine in our north hemisphere winter and posts from the future
  • the fact that the average amount of time a spam posts lasts before getting flagged is less than 3 mins
  • our most “liked” topic is the Share Your Pets thread

Fun facts: forum users span the globe so much the forums only have ~3 hours a week where traffic is low enough to deploy upgrades and do maintenance.

We really like the like button, our average :heart:s per month is 46,000.

Here is our pageviews over the past year in case you’re into it (we average about ~220K per month)

If you’ve been around since the beginning, you will be getting your Anniversary badge this week! (it is granted automagically, no need to ask for it!)

If you want to share, I’d love to hear your fav OMD-forum-related memory of the past year.

31 Likes

Thanks @anomalily. I just love everybody here and the overall vibe of the forums. Also this place is an awesome distraction when work gets boring. :rofl:

10 Likes

I love this place and there are lots of good memories, but the best is:

TONY VICTOR.

18 Likes

My favorite memories are the forum babies and forum fur babies had/adopted throughout the year. I’m a sucker for babies.

8 Likes

I forgot about Tony Victor - love it!

5 Likes

TONY VICTOR FOREVER.

Forums :heart: I’m so grateful for this place. Thank you for making this place, @anomalily, and for everything that you do to keep it running. It’s made my life immeasurably better over the past year.

9 Likes

Have really enjoyed journaling in this space and interacting with many other folks here since coming back to the Internet after a hiatus! Glad I decided to check it out when someone mentioned on my return to MMM that this place had started up a few months prior. I like the vibe you’re creating here versus MMM though I do still interact over there some.

6 Likes

Anniversary badge yessssss

My favorite thing is the badges :joy:

6 Likes

Happy birthday OMD forums!

I’ve almost exclusively lurked on the internet for the past 15 years, and am so pleased with this community. You all (and your adorable kittens and pups) are awesome.

11 Likes

Happy birthday OMD forums!

Thank you for:

• Fun and productive challenges
  • Welcoming community
  • Badges
  • Journal feature
  • Connecting me with so many beautiful human beings
8 Likes

I still don’t know where this came from :joy:

4 Likes

I’m really glad to have moved here from The Other Place. I’m so glad to have found a safe, supportive, and more anonymous (except for now-RL friends) here! Was always a little nervous about someone I know recognizing me over there.

You guys are the ones who are gonna be with me as I FIRE! :heart::heart::heart:

12 Likes

I believe it was an autocorrect error from JJ’s phone on the Tiny Victories thread.

9 Likes

ALL THE CUTE is my favorite. The fact that the logo now has a party hat is just ONE EXAMPLE.

But yes, also the welcoming community, the lack of judgement, the willingness to help. :heart:

15 Likes

I just like being here in general, so many good people and ideas all flying around. Also pets, and tony victors, and just all of it. Happy birthday OMD forum!

6 Likes

My favourite thing about OMD is the community, so my favourite memory is all the times I thought to myself, “this site is so easy to use” or “this interface is so user-friendly”. The forum software makes it easier for us to connect with each other, to give support and share information. :heart:

12 Likes

Except that whole “you can’t see who started the thread” problem I ~still~ haven’t solved.

6 Likes

This is such a great place. Thank you for creating it @anomalily!

5 Likes

OMD is far and away the best gardening forum on the internet.

It is the antithesis of the other place a lot of us migrated from. You know the place…the mean place with face punches for all.

17 Likes