Net Worth Tracking, Support, Celebration!

Hit a new milestone today! (on paper. Turns out my 401k match was vesting all along).

Still just totally blown away by how fast this all happened once I got a real job. It doesn’t feel like we’re living particularly frugally. In fact it feels extremely spendy-pants.

January 2020 is lower because we hadn’t combined all the accounts in the same YNAB yet, so we were above 100k at that point, just not tracking it yet. I’m kind of sad I don’t know when exactly we hit the first 100k since we didn’t have joint finances yet.

19 Likes

In July I spent almost exactly what I made, thanks to booking a trip, replacing a tenant furnace, etc.
But my net worth increased by $5k.
It doesn’t make sense but it happened.

22 Likes

I have one retirement account I look at almost daily. Initially it was to get myself used to the swings in the market, to teach myself to watch numbers drop and practice keeping to the plan. We haven’t been putting money into it for a couple of years, so it’s helpful for seeing just the market impact with no mitigating contributions.

Overnight it rolled past 500.

The numbers, they just become more irrational, more unreal, more just fake pixels that can’t possibly mean anything.

18 Likes

August numbers! Our net worth is up about $4k from last month and is sitting right at $258,538.08. My goal was to hit $260k by the end of the year…looks like we’ll hit that. :grinning:

22 Likes

That is a very attractive trendline you have there!

6 Likes

blushes

5 Likes

This is just one account, my 401k. I haven’t contributed in ages (haven’t been working). PLEASE look at that rate of return for the year to date. That is insane. insane.

23 Likes

It is all insane right now.

6 Likes

Yup. Officially, nothing makes sense.

4 Likes

Yeah, my one year return, aka b-a-n-a-n-a-s

14 Likes

Here’s my net worth graph. Try to pin-point the years when I was working a salaried day job vs the years where I was primarily self-employed/gig work.

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 1.36.45 PM

17 Likes

Crossed the $1M mark in aprilish. 4 months later, NW is up $85k. Neat.

23 Likes

I’ve been averaging a 60% savings rate for a couple of years and it pleases me greatly. I live luxuriously, with take out and trips and games and whatever my selfish little heart desires, and money keeps just working out. It’s inscrutable alchemy.
Also this month my investments made $4k. Bonkers.

18 Likes

My goal this year was for us (2 adults) to hit $100k net worth. Really happy to say that right now we are sitting at over $109,000! We are low/medium income and don’t save as much as we should, so I’m really happy with this.

32 Likes

That’s wonderful! I didn’t have near that when I was your age.

3 Likes

Congratulations!!! The first $100k really is the hardest. Get ready to be shocked at how fast the second six figures comes!

9 Likes

This is 100% true. It took me twice as long to go from 0 to 100k than it’s taken me to go from 100k to 200k (and that includes a 10% COVID paycut for about 8 months of that time). Market returns are bonkers.

Big congrats to you guys for saving so assiduously!

6 Likes

Agreed times a trillion. Getting up to zero? Wretched. Getting to $100? An utter slog. After that? And alarming wind at your back carrying you faster than seems possible.

10 Likes

I realized that I started tracking our net worth 2 years ago this month. September of 2019 we had 54,751.76 and September of 2021 we have 109,558.52, and during this time we were making like 40k/year total. The stimulus checks and extra covid unemployment really helped us.

11 Likes

I’m just here to dump a graph while I have it since I have to run off to daycare pickup, so I’ll circle back. You can see the impact of fertility treatments for a couple of years.

10 Likes