Net Worth Tracking, Support, Celebration!

Oh, I thought it meant you couldn’t have any money left over at the end. This one is much more stupid. I might try it with somebody else’s money, but only if I couldn’t get that person’s money without the conditions…

4 Likes

Thought this was awesome and motivating!

5 Likes

That’s great!

3 Likes

This past month was bonkers. That tick is ~our anticipated annual spend.
Blue line is money in investment accounts (eta: there is a small amount of shares from the shadowy one’s former employer in transit from Schwab, and an even smaller amount I have in paper that would need $300 to be registered so I can sell them, but since I think I’d get $750, and then pay tax, it doesn’t seem worth it and they aren’t counted here and never have been counted)
The red line was our mortgage - we bought the house in 2006, but I didn’t track the amount owed the whole time

10 Likes

I’ve looked and looked, but I can’t find a tick on that graph. Is it time for a new contacts prescription?

Either way, dang that’s impressive. High five to the @plainjane household!

3 Likes

I couldn’t see it either

4 Likes

@Marcela and @Gdogg - the most recent month is quite a sharp vertical (what I meant when I referenced the ‘tick’). A vertical growth of almost 3.3%, or the same amount we’re currently planning as our withdrawal.

ETA: we are 7k from crossing that next line.

6 Likes

I wondered if that was what you meant!

2 Likes

Time for my monthly update! My net worth decreased by $1,900 from last month, but we bought a car (in cash, no loan). I don’t think that’s too bad considering. Other money news is that I took the advice of people here and put $10k in a taxable account, that’s down a little bit right now too but I’m not bothered because I chose to go pretty aggressive on it. The other news is DH got approved for a million dollar life insurance plan, which is a huge freaking relief.

Numbers this month:

His 401(k): $74,870.18
Her 401(k): $40,092.55
His IRA: $17,514.53
Her IRA: $91,533.80
Joint Taxable: $9,792.45
Joint Savings: $16,600.58
Joint Checking: $4,253.24

Total Net Worth: $254,657.33

My charity net worth increased by the usual amount and is: $6,745.00.

How’s everyone else doing?

ETA: Also sorry for my kindergarten level graphs. We can’t all be data people, lol.

14 Likes

I really do love your charity net worth. I just figured mine out:

Charity net worth: $12494.21 (all donations since 2015)

That’s about 6% of my net worth, so… not too shabby, considering.

6 Likes

Not shabby at all! I really wish I started tracking it earlier but I think I felt too guilty about how low my monthly giving was…even though it was probably still a decent amount over time. It’s still hard for me not to think “if my medical costs were lower I could give __” even though I know that’s stupid and I have no control over that particular part of my budget. I still feel guilty about how much $ gets eaten by just, being physically high maintenance. Hopefully I can up our monthly donation amount this December at least. Doing it once a year has been helpful in getting that number higher; right now I’m at about $300ish a month.

2 Likes

I was thinking I liked your graph style! I kind of like the thick blue line.

4 Likes

Haha, thank you! I chose it because it is the default graph in numbers. :wink:

6 Likes

Oh yeah, my monthly giving in 2015 was like 30 bucks. I just didn’t have the resources for more – I was just barely above a living wage and paying off debt.

I do the “up donation amounts” once a year thing too! Haha. I like to try to raise my baseline donations, and then add some wiggle room so that I can do occasional spot donations, too (hello natural disasters…).

Big hugs on the medical cost feels. I know my mom struggles with that a lot – lots of guilt and frustration.

2 Likes

Mr Pug and I really need to get our life insurance set up! It would really not be good if something were to happen to one of us especially for Mr Pug as he works unconventional hours being a musician.

1 Like

We put it off for a long time but I 10/10 recommend it! I feel a lot more protected now.

3 Likes

I would also not say that I have a strategy. It’s similar – how much am I spending? What percent of my spending is charity? Okay, cool, I feel like I can raise my charity spending by this much now. (I do track percentage of spending, and I have a long-term goal to get charity spending to 10%; sometimes I make little mini-goals like “make charity a bigger percentage of my spending than X category”.)

I love the general idgaf confidence of getting older. Getting older is GREAT. And I’m so glad for you that you were able to slough off the weight of other people’s expectations… what a freedom.

1 Like

NW up $5,481.50 in the last 30 days, totaling $113,408.88 Mostly due to throwing all money at student loans. I’m sooo close to be being done with that, 3 months to be exact. :partying_face:

I love how my graph shows that once I made it into the positive NW range it goes up much faster than when I was negative. It’s so nice when interest is working for you and not against you!

16 Likes

Congratulations on the student loans! :slight_smile: You’re so close!!!

1 Like

Anyone have good spreadsheets that let you look at different savings options? We are sort of close to CoastFIRE but if we want to buy a house we should maybe stop maxing out pretax saving and do some cash saving and I’m very confused.

6 Likes