Net Worth Tracking, Support, Celebration!

Proof of your riches:

iu

6 Likes

Don’t spend it all in one place! :rofl:

3 Likes

We just hit a $100k net worth for the first time!

22 Likes

I’m sad about how you spend all your money by 2022! :wink:

6 Likes

Wooooooo! 100k is such a fun milestone!

2 Likes

Yes!!! That’s such a huge one! Congratulations! I feel like it gets so much faster after that first six figure mark. Well done you!

(There aren’t that many funny money trophy images. This felt appropriate.)

8 Likes

Now that my loans are refinancing I’m going to actually track my (negative) worth. Now that I’m not paying at 11% interest I can stand to look at it without vomiting lol. I’m also wondering what I should do to increase my savings. I have a 401k match so I’d like to increase my contribution a bit, but there’s a lot of talk around the office that the fund options available in our 401k are awful. Mine are in a JPMorgan target date fund. I don’t want to divert funds from the match (free money!) But I should also probably look into an IRA I guess? I need to help my sister start an IRA so I might as well open one for myself while I’m at it.

14 Likes

but just think how fun it could be

like those thought challenges of ‘spend 10k in one day and you can’t give it away or have anything left at the end’

4 Likes

Contribute to your 401k up to the match before contributing to an IRA, even if your funds are terrible. What’s a 0.7% fee on 100% free money? The match is always worth it.

6 Likes

Its going to be a fun 6 months :rofl:

3 Likes

Thought… Right. Just a thought challenge…

3 Likes

Well then. The markets are doing their thing. I want to share this graph which I put together at the end of Q1, and since I update my investment balances and the end of quarters, finally get to see a bump.

However (late) last summer was apparently a bit expensive, but last June was less expensive than this June so my (average) “trailing twelve months expenses” is actually going up. Meanwhile the investments growing in brokerages and retirement are helping my 4% of investments income number chase that number.

I have two sets of lines, as there is the option (eventually) to use some investments to pay off the mortgage. (Or sell the house and live in a van?!) Assuming we stay here and don’t pay off the mortgage, the red and yellow are the relevant lines. Red is total spending over the previous 12 months, and yellow is 4% of investments. If yellow can catch up to red, I might start to think I’m comfortably retired!

Anyway the other crazy thing is that adding up the numbers, our net worth just rolled over… $900,000. Whoa. If we just look back in history to the end of Q1 last year, we were at $578,000. MvR took a lower paying job, and I was out of work for six months. And yet, we averaged an increase in net worth of over $21k per month over those 15 months.

12 Likes

Last I looked, JP Morgan target date funds are pretty good - fee under 1% and reasonable composition. They might not have Vanguard’s ultra low fees, but they hit key benchmarks. (And yeah, always take the match! Matches are rad.)

1 Like

Oh, that’s no challenge - that’s one decent used vehicle (of which we will soon need one). It would be annoying to have to find it in one day, but with 10K free money I’d suck it up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

but then you’d have something at the end - the thing you bought. the challenge is spending the money and having nothing to show for it (traditionally you are allowed to keep the food you ingested)

3 Likes

Can I stretch it over three days and spend a weekend with an “all-in” package at Jade Mountain Resort?! Or maybe once I figure out airfare, I can get to $10k in one day… (well technically at least two :stuck_out_tongue:)

4 Likes

that looks stunning

3 Likes

There’s a hotel within the palace of Versailles now that comes with a private tour with historians, a multi course meals by Alain Ducasse and spa treatments. I think rooms start at €1500 a night and go up to 10k for one of the suites.

It’s on my When-I’m-Stupid-Rich list.

(https://airelles.com/fr/destination/chateau-de-versailles-hotel)

9 Likes

My When I am stupid rich list includes Giraffe Manor in Nairobi
Giraffe Manor, Hotel with Giraffes - The Safari Collection

10 Likes

I love everything about this.

1 Like